A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim!

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #1  

JK10MF1635

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635
Hey guys,

Long story and short on time at the moment but for now I am wondering if anyone has a contact number for a northeast rep for AGCO. My dealer I purchased from went out of business a few months ago after 61 years, and another dealer will not help with this warranty claim. I asked if he will honor my warranty at all and he said "yes but I will take care of my customers first and you will get service last!"

Needless to say I want someones *** to chew on! If this is the service I am going to receive on a one year old $35,000 tractor that I have financed thru AGCO they can expect my payment to stop!

Feel free to PM me with contact info if you have it.

JK

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #2  
What type of service is required? Have you tried another dealer?

It's not unreasonable to expect him to take care of his customers, what kind of time frame did they tell you? It's a busy time of year and if his shop is full, it might be tough to get you in.

It's not his fault your dealer went out either.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #3  
I got great service from my John Deere dealer on any warranty claims.

There were only two and may not have really been covered if anybody wanted to get picky.

They were great to deal with!

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #4  
JK, I think a dealer first taking care of customers who bought from him is a normal situation and you really can't blame him. He might have said it in a more diplomatic way.;) I can understand your frustration, but if you stop your payments . . . well, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when that happens.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #5  
Contact the finance company, remember this product belongs to them until the final payment, explain the warranty has not been honoured by the dealer, thus making this unit unfit for purpose, don't stop payments until you contact the finance provider, you will be amazed at the response, remember, good goods, for good monies.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim!
Well I need to vent, so here is the long story. I lurked on here for months, did lots of research, and looked at all the colors of tractors I could find. After about a year I decided on the Massey Ferguson 1533, 1540, or 1635. I started looking around at what was out there and comparing the 3. I decided I wanted the 1635. At that point is when I got serious and started my search and seriously talking to dealers. I spoke to every MF dealer within 150 miles of me and pricing tractors that they had on the lot or ordering because I had not decided between the hydro and the powershuttle. In the end I had about 6 prices on 1635 Hydro TLB from dealers in this 150 mile radius from me. The price dif from cheapest to most expensive was $5000 on essentially a $30,000+ dollar machine! I was very surprised at the range. At that time I picked the top three dealers I felt the most comfortable with based on prior discussions, price, and location. One of the three was my local dealer 8 miles away. He answered lots of questions and showed me the machine and let me drive it around the lot and try it out. The second was a dealer 60 miles away. I also had many phone covo with him and visited his lot and drove the tractor. The third was 90 miles and I had only phone conversations with him. All three where in the middle of the price group, neither one was the cheapest nor the most expensive. Eventually I went to the local dealer and the 60 mile dealer and told them exactly what I wanted, the 1635 hydro with a few extra things, with financing, and it was between the two of them, and they happened to be friends according to them both. I told them I felt good with either one but now it was about what I wanted, and the package they would give me. The local dealer came back at about $2000 more than the other and he would not bundle my attachments into the financing for me. The other dealer gave me exactly what I asked for, and for less. I called my local dealer and told him that I was going with the other dealer because he gave me what I asked, at a considerable cheaper price. I could see $500-$1000 difference for exactly what I wanted then I would have gone local but for more and not what I wanted I was not going to. I told him that I would still need parts, maintenance, and warranty work, and I would look to him for that. He told me not to bother and I should get that with the dealer I purchased the tractor from? I said I was sorry he felt that way and thanks anyway. I was not very happy with him at that point because I felt that he was not making a wise business decision and was cutting his nose off in spite of his face. That said I bought it from the dealer 60 miles away. I had 2 warranty claims on the tractor both for broken hyd lines. The first one on the CB20 backhoe boom. I was using the hoe and all of a sudden the boom wasn稚 raising and hyd fluid was squirting out all over the boom. As I investigated I found that one of the two hoses to the boom cylinder had a small hole in it inside the boom. Both of these lines are inside the boom. Not something that I did or hit. They took my word which of the two hoses it was and ordered a new hose and sent a mechanic down. I helped him change the hose. It ended up being a small hole where the hose was looped tight inside the boom. The mechanic told me that in his opinion that was to tight a loop and that is why it failed. We did what we could to make the loop bigger to try and alleviate the problem. The second was a hose that goes to the loader that simply blew apart as I started to lift with the loader. It sounded like a gun going off and shredded the hose an inch from the end. To get me going faster this time he told me that if I was willing, to have a new hose made and replace it myself, next time I come by to bring the broken hose and he would give me credit for it. I went to the New Holland dealer 5 miles away and had a new double braided hose made and installed it. Several weeks later I went to pick up what I need to do an oil change service and gave him the hose. He gave me credit for the cost of the hose towards what I purchased from him that day. All of this within 100 hours of ownership. I did break one hose on my backhoe myself after backing into a tree. This I replaced at my cost with a new double braided hose from the New Holland dealer as well. Needless to say the dealer I bought from treated me really well and was there for any question I had as a new first time tractor owner. He did everything he could for me. Needless to say when I received a letter in the mail from AGCO a few months ago stating that my dealer was no longer an AGCO dealer I was shocked. I picked up the phone and called. I spoke with the owner and he said that after 61 years and a third generation business that they just couldn稚 make it anymore in these difficult times. They were closing up shop. He apologized. I told him thanks for all they did and wished them luck.

That brings me to a few months ago. With the letter AGCO sent me, was a coupon for 10% off my next purchase and to choose a new dealer for warranty. Well since I still had a bad taste in my mouth for my local dealer I did nothing and figured I would wait till I had a problem and figure it out then. A few weeks later I was in the area for my kid's event that was about 70 miles away and another MF dealer. I spoke with this dealer in my search but never visited. I stopped buy and he honored my coupon and I bought $450 in supplies to do a 300 hour service on it plus a few extra parts. I told him my situation and he said he would be glad to help out where he could. Fast forward to yesterday, Sunday, I was digging with the backhoe and all of a sudden hyd fluid is coming out of the boom and the boom won't raise. Well I was mad since I knew what it was (one of those two **** hoses in the boom that I already had problems with) and now I need to figure out what to do. Since this hose runs all the way from the console to the cylinder I'm guessing a new hose will cost about $80 for double braided. So I figure I may as well as find out now what the local dealer is going to say and do. I called and told them the problem this morning(Monday). The lady asked for some info and put me on hold. She came back and told me I didn't buy it from them and I need to go to where I got it for service. I told her they went out of business. She put me on hold. She comes back and says that hyd hoses are not covered by warranty. At this point I knew what was going on and was not going to take it out on her since she just works the counter. So I asked for the owner I dealt with by name. She put me on hold and he picked right up. I was polite and asked how he was doing. He was not up for chit chat. I said I had a broken hyd hose on the backhoe and need it replaced. He told me can't help me I didn't buy it from him that I had to go to where I bought it. I told him they are out of business. That is when he said sarcastically (remember these guys were friends, I know he knew they where closed) OOOOOO I'm sorry but I can't help you! Now I'm about to come unglued and I said are you going to honor any part of my warranty in this situation? and that is when he tells me that he will if it's covered but his customers come first and he will get to me when I can? I hung up.

Now my original dealer covered two hoses with no problems under warranty, and my next door neighbor has a 2610 TLB he bought 2 months prior to my purchase but he bought from our local dealer. He just told me last week he had a hyd hose go on his hoe and the local dealer made him and new one and he just replace it himself under warranty. Basically the local guy is pissed I didn't buy it from him so he is screwing me however he can. I guess what I don't understand is why one would do that to a customer you know you can still make money from on parts etc. I would think you would still try to make good with the customer. He has lost at least $1500 in my business in the last year on parts, supplies, odds and ends, and a new chainsaw and accessories that I bought(he carries the line but I wouldn't go to him). How does one do business like this? I guess I know the answer to my question and that is to just find a dealer that will work with me and deal with the distance. It sucks all around and I'm just upset about it. I'm mad that guys who treat people right go out of business and guys who don't are left to screw us!

The other thing that erks me is that if I was buying a vehicle I would do the same research and price comparison. What is the difference in a $35000 vehicle or tractor? I purchased a car in Rocherster NY, not my local dealer, and moved 1 year later for work to the Adirondacks. Guess what? The local car dealer had no problem honoring my warranty and selling me parts and service! Wow! What a concept! I am sure glad I didn't have to drive back to Rochester (5hours) for service!

Perfect example is last week I'm pulling my trailer and my check engine light comes on my truck and its in limp home mode. I can't make the hills with my trailer and the first town I come to I was going to drop the trailer to make it the 40 miles home to fix the truck and come back to get the trailer. A NAPA store was first place I come to. I stopped and he read my code, my two from O2 sensors are bad. Second time in less than a year. I have them delete the code and I call my local NAPA to see if they have the part. They have one but I need two. This store has both so I bought them from him and I leave with the trailer to see if I can make it home. The truck ran fine now that the code was gone. Hmmmm. I drove home and the next week with no problems. I'm not sure what happened but I go to the local NAPA to return the $200 sensors and they won't take it bc they are an independent dealer and they just won't. I speak to the manager and he says nope! I said but you carry this part, it's not like you don't have it. He said sorry. So I called the store I bought it and he said just send the parts to us and I'llcredit your card and you won't have to waste your time and gas money driving 80 miles round trip! Now that service!

I will still be calling and speaking to someone at MF or AGCO about how I am being treated.
Sorry for the rant and length.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #7  
You have some good points. I just want to shed some light on a few things, not argue.

The implements, (loader/backhoe) are covered for 1-year. You may or may not still be in this period, but, most decent dealers would take care of you for the 2-year period. That being said, local dealer didn't make any money selling you a tractor, so I would'nt blame him for not doing so.

Maybe it could have been an opportunity to gain you business back. Maybe he's just as bitter at you for taking all that time to go to his place, kinda have him sell you on the tractor, then go somewhere else & buy it.

The NAPA thing. Though they are a franchise, you really cant expect a different store/owner to take back parts bought elsewhere. They're not going to buy parts from you at retail. That's kinda what they would be doing if they gave you a credit for them. Ship them back where you got them, yes, and all was taken care of. Once again, local NAPA didn't make any money in the first place.

Last, maybe if the original dealer had charged the $2,000 more like the local dealer, he would have found it easier to make it.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #8  
Mfred said,"Last, maybe if the original dealer had charged the $2,000 more like the local dealer, he would have found it easier to make it."

Which in turn means Your $2000 savings is slowly being negated by $4.00 + a gallon fuel. Now that is not fun. My MF dealer closed a few years back and at least 1 more since then. There are other brands with dealers still with in 12-22 miles away. If massey wants to stay competitive they need to shore up the ever increasing holes in Their dealer network, in the mean time I am not going to hold My breath.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #9  
Two things, the cheapest price isn't always the best price, as you have found out. He is no longer there.

Now the local dealer you should have gone w/ even for the difference will not help you.

Dealers lose on warranties. So that is why they say go back to the selling dealer. Since they made money on the initial deal, then they can afford to lose on the warranty claims.

Very seldom when going cheapest can you have your cake and eat it to, and in the tight dealer circle, word gets around.

I am a former dealer and have dealt w/this type of thing many times. Customers want to go many miles away for the best deal but then want the local guy to take care of them. Usually doesn't happen that way.
If the cheapest guy was good enough to buy from then he is good enough to
do the warranty. Don't put that burden on the local guy. That's taking advantage of him.

/ A dealer is less than cooperative on a warranty claim! #10  
You saved $2000 on the tractor.

Get a new hose, install it, and chalk it up to experience.

You already know the hose they use is too short. Get a longer one made up. There are a couple of hose guys on TBN. Take the old one out, measure it and get the fitting numbers. They will fix you up over the internet for a lot less than a local hose supplier.