Buying Advice Gc2600

/ Gc2600 #1  

the fat kid

Bronze Member
Tractor
In market
I recently entered the market of scut. I've been trying to keep up on the threads but I'm not seeing many out there with gc2600 tractors. I liked it when I researched the tractor but now am having my doubts.
If there are owners out there are you pleased? How old is yours and have you had any issues if you've a newer one??

/ Gc2600 #2  
You've heard my general opinion on your other thread but I will expand a little. If I remember correctly, you're in Maine? One of the things that drew me to the Massey was the dealer. They were very helpful, patient and let me spend a lot of time on the machines without any pressure to buy. They also gave me a good feeling about their service after the sale and so far they have been great. They sent their technician to my house (almost an hour drive) to take care of a warranty issue and fix something that I broke, free of charge. I didn't know anything about the dealer prior to my purchase, it was just a warm fuzzy gut feeling that I got when shopping and so far it's worked out.

There is a dealer in your area, Northwoods Power Equipment?, that I have heard good things about (when I say your area, i mean Maine, whether they are close to you remains to be seen). Unfortunately, when I started shopping they were too far away for me to check out. They have since opened a store in Mass that is pretty close but I haven't been in person yet. They have a demo program where they will deliver a tractor to you an let you try it out for a couple days. Seems like a nice service to be able to spend time on the machine on YOUR property to see how it fits/handles/maneuvers. They also appear to be a high volume dealer so they may do a little better on price, not sure though. I remember seeing someone on one of the forums mention that they made his first 3 payments for him to seal the deal.

As for the tractor, the few things I would change would be the addition of position control for the 3 point hitch and some added ground clearance (again relating to the 3 point hitch). I have some hilly areas in my yard where even at full height, my rake and box blade drag on the ground when I am going back and forth. From what I have heard on here, it's a fault of the sub-compacts since they use "garden tractor" sized tires. Massey just released a new tractor, the 1526, that addresses these issues without getting into a huge tractor. I have considered looking into upgrading, but I won't rush into that. The GC is a very capable machine and my issues with it are minor. On a whole, this tractor is great for how I use it and it more than meets my needs and expectations. I am just a typical "guy" and am now addicted to tractors, so, of course I want something bigger and more powerful.

/ Gc2600
Thanks chuck I appreciate it. As a newbe I'm trying to get feelers out everywhere and obtain as much info as possible before I commit.

/ Gc2600 #4  
Not sure what info you are looking for that hasn't already been stated, but the 2400 and 2600 are the same machine...........only difference is the RPM's of the engine with a 'slight' horsepower increase.

I for one wouldn't trade my Massey for any of the others.

I've had mine for a little over a year now and I love it.

/ Gc2600 #5  
It may also be that most (?) of those GCs are sold with the backhoe... i.e., the 2610 or 2410 series tractors.

See the thread concerning whether or not to get a backhoe with it!

Mine's the earlier 2310, and I still love it. VERY capable mower, snowblower is outstanding, and the FEL/BH has innumerable uses. Only serious/really annoying problem I've had was when the ground cable broke off; apparently it was just a bit too short to endure the vibrations of a diesel.

/ Gc2600 #6  
I would also spend the extra money on the backhoe.

/ Gc2600 #7  
Either one and you will not be disappointed-I live in the next town over from you-I think one of the salesman lives in the same town as Minot. I would go with the 2400 and use the money you save for an implament.

/ Gc2600
Excellent advice thanks guys. On top of that I'm gatherin there ain't much between the 2400 and the 26!

/ Gc2600 #9  
A few tweaks to the same engine the 2300 and 2400 series uses allowed them to hit the "magic number"... (over 25hp). Perhaps largely a marketing decision?

/ Gc2600 #10  
I have the 2400L. Had it since January. Hard not to smile when you do anything with it. :)