Price Check What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth?

/ What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth? #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
I have two TO-30 tractors and am always looking for parts tractors for spares.

I found a TO20 Parts tractor that was parked a year ago when the owner said it was not getting oil to the head. He worked on the tractor but never found the problem. He bought another tractor and just let this one sit outside as he left it.

It had received the following new or used parts a year ago:

New front tires and refurbished / painted rims
New rebuilt distributor
New oil pump
Good used rear rim

The bad:
Engine has been sitting outside for a year with no spark plugs to protect cylinders.
Head bolts are hand tight.
Sheetmetal is badly rusted and pitted.
Rear tires are badly weather checked.
Water is in hydraulic oil

The good:

No oil in radiator or water in crankcase suggesting a cracked block.
Tires will hold air for loading.
It appears to be all there.

Bottom line is that it appears too far gone to get running again without major expense.

However, it would serve to provide some spare parts common to the TO-30.

The owner is asking for offers and hesitant to set an asking price.

What do you think this parts tractor is worth??

I need a good rear rim and new front tires so would consider offering $250 on that basis. Having a spare distributor, steering arms, tie rods, three point parts and the rest would be icing on the cake.

Is the tractor worth any more than that?

Suggestions appreciated....

Thanks.

SAM_0135.jpg

SAM_0134.jpg

SAM_0138.jpg

SAM_0136.jpg

SAM_0137.jpg

/ What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth? #2  
I have two TO-30 tractors and am always looking for parts tractors for spares.

I found a TO20 Parts tractor that was parked a year ago when the owner said it was not getting oil to the head. He worked on the tractor but never found the problem. He bought another tractor and just let this one sit outside as he left it.

It had received the following new or used parts a year ago:

New front tires and refurbished / painted rims
New rebuilt distributor
New oil pump
Good used rear rim

The bad:
Engine has been sitting outside for a year with no spark plugs to protect cylinders.
Head bolts are hand tight.
Sheetmetal is badly rusted and pitted.
Rear tires are badly weather checked.
Water is in hydraulic oil

The good:

No oil in radiator or water in crankcase suggesting a cracked block.
Tires will hold air for loading.
It appears to be all there.

Bottom line is that it appears too far gone to get running again without major expense.

However, it would serve to provide some spare parts common to the TO-30.

The owner is asking for offers and hesitant to set an asking price.

What do you think this parts tractor is worth??

I need a good rear rim and new front tires so would consider offering $250 on that basis. Having a spare distributor, steering arms, tie rods, three point parts and the rest would be icing on the cake.

Is the tractor worth any more than that?

Suggestions appreciated....

Thanks.

SAM_0135.jpg

SAM_0134.jpg

SAM_0138.jpg

SAM_0136.jpg

SAM_0137.jpg

The head gets oil from the main oil gallery or the rear main bearing supply,(I don't remember which) through the rear cam bearing and thence up a drilled passage to the head. The Continenntals have a nororiously weak oil pump. so with reduced oil pressure from worn mains ands rod bearing, the supply to the rockers could be compromised. Does the engine turn by hand?

The TO-30 has a different distributor (advance curve is different) and the engines parts are not common to the TO-20. the hitch parts areas are the running gear. The hydraulic pump is different but I believe it's compatble.

As far a the value of a a non-running TO-20, No more than $500. Without it running, there's no way to know if the hydraulics and the other systems are any good. $250 is a good starting point. if the block is good( no cracks) that's probably worth $400 and the head may be worth $200 if it's good.

/ What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth? #3  
The head gets oil from the main oil gallery or the rear main bearing supply,(I don't remember which) through the rear cam bearing and thence up a drilled passage to the head. The Continenntals have a nororiously weak oil pump. so with reduced oil pressure from worn mains ands rod bearing, the supply to the rockers could be compromised. Does the engine turn by hand?

The TO-30 has a different distributor (advance curve is different) and the engines parts are not common to the TO-20. the hitch parts areas are the running gear. The hydraulic pump is different but I believe it's compatble.

As far a the value of a a non-running TO-20, No more than $500. Without it running, there's no way to know if the hydraulics and the other systems are any good. $250 is a good starting point. if the block is good( no cracks) that's probably worth $400 and the head may be worth $200 if it's good.

If I was selling it, I would say go blow and take it to the scrap yard.

/ What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth?
I have not replied yet with an offer but I asked the owner if they would be willing to sell usable parts off the tractor. She just emailed the following:

"We really would like to just have the whole tractor picked up.
$300.00 is what we are asking if you are interested."

Based on a $300 asking price....I think $250-$275 can buy it.

I emailed her back asking for a time and day to meet...

/ What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth? #5  
Unless I had a specific need for a specific part, I wouldn't offer scrap price.....As it will cost something to haul it in for scrap. And why scrap it for break even money?

Anything over $250 and I'd walk. Over $300 and I'd RUN...

/ What is this TO-20 Parts Tractor Worth?
As indicated I need two front tires and rims and a good rear rim. Those parts alone would cost me more than $250.

I would also like to have an extra steering box to rebuild while the working tractors remain operational. I also need a good condition shift lever, 3 pt lower arms and misc other small parts.

This tractor will not be sold as scrap. However usable parts that I know I will not need such as the short block and head can be sold to recoup the purchase price. There seems to be a ready market for uncracked TO-20 engine blocks.

Four years ago I bought an 8N with a stuck motor for $350. I kept the fenders, radius rods, steering box and still sold $850 in parts off the tractor which included a Sherman Hi/Low transmission.

I see this TO-20 as a cost effective source of parts to keep or resell.

It's not ready for the scrap dealer...yet... and my only cost to transport is about $28 in gas round trip to move it 35 miles.