Buying Advice Mf135

/ Mf135 #1  

dntfxr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford, LS
Hey guys, I found a 135 diesel with 6' disc for 3700. It has a rebuilt motor, and a couple hr drive from here. Is this a fair deal? Anything to look for on this model? Thanks in advance

/ Mf135 #2  
Hey guys, I found a 135 diesel with 6' disc for 3700. It has a rebuilt motor, and a couple hr drive from here. Is this a fair deal? Anything to look for on this model? Thanks in advance
According to another user: FarmWithJunk, the MF 135 diesel was one of the best made, you can send him a PM, I'm sure he will respond.

/ Mf135 #3  

It is a very good tractor. I owned one for 25 years. It is overbuilt and bullet proof. The best investment I have ever made. I don't think there is a better mowing tractor ever built for steep hills than a MF135.

/ Mf135 #4  
I believe it is one of the best tractors ever built and a good tractor to own the are cheap to work on and cheap to maintain i believe the best 40 hp tractors ever made was the mf 135 and the ford 3600

/ Mf135 #5  
I've had my 135 for 12 years now, use it for everything from skidding / milling logs to snow removal. Mine's the Z134 - 39 HP gasser, the diesel I believe is around 45 HP with substantially more torque. Overbuilt by todays standards I guess, having borrowed a neighbour's newer tractor for loader work I will say that the stability and weight in a comparable HP newer tractor are nowhere near what they are on my 135.

Can't help you on what to watch for with the diesel engine, FWJ and some others on the forum can provide some insight into that for you. As an owner you know the obvious stuff wrt making sure everything works. I can tell you that getting parts has never been an issue for me, and the nearest MF dealer is 2.5 hours from me so I use either a local JD, NH or Kubota dealer, depending on who has the best price.

Regards

/ Mf135
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't had a chance to go see it yet but I may go in the next couple days. I'm also considering a Deere 2040, hopefully one of these will follow me home!

/ Mf135 #7  
They were good old tractors. And, it is old. The 135 was built from the mid '60's through the mid 70's. If taken care of, it should still be very serviceable.

/ Mf135 #8  

In July06 I paid $3600 for a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower. The standard transmission is 6F/2R in high/low ranges. Multipower is a hydraulic option in the tranny that gives two more high/low ranges for a total of 12F/4R.

Check the operation of the 2-stage clutch carefully while you engage/disengage the pto. Make sure the pto engage/disengage lever works smoothly. Same with the 3pt position and draft controls.

There is one or two weep holes on the bottom side of the clutch housing. Sometimes there's a cotter pin in the hole to keep it from getting clogged with dirt. Usually, the cotter pin is missing. Take a small twist drill or piece of wire and ream out the dirt in the weep hole. If a few drops of oil come out, that's normal. If the flow is steady, you may have a seal problem (engine pan, tranny).

Good luck

/ Mf135 #9  

If all is in good shape, that's a buy. Check the obvious.....Rubber, ect.... Then check lift for proper function, look under tractor @ "weep holes" to see if there's any significant oil leak from either hole. A drop or 2 isn't serious. Check function of steering/power steering. If it's ever had a loader, front end MAY be worn quite a bit. Which transmission? 3X2 speed, 3x2 w/MultPower? or 4x2? Personally, I prefer the 4X2....If MultiPower, make certain it works correctly or else avoid.... What year? About mid 1969, they switched to alternators, many prior to that have had conversions to alternators. OEM alt equipped 135's will have external regulator. SOME 135's from early production weren't equipped with 2-stage clutch. MOST were. Non live power models will be void of gauges (except tach) no lighting, no power steering.... Parts are easy to come by...Even John Deere dealers will be able to get them....AGCO/MF dealers carry a full line of what they call Heritage Parts for older tractors.

If everything is in good working order, the 135 and it's big brother, the 150 are a tough act to beat. Good balance, great performance, dependable and economic engine, and simple to work on. IMHO. the 135 is the SECOND best utility tractor ever built, next to the MF150!

Disc should add $400+ to value, so that price is really a good one compared to what a 135 sells for around here. I just sold a diesel 135 w/4400hr, 4X2 tranny, good rubber, new clutch, spin out wheels, flat top fenders, and good paint for $5500.

/ Mf135
Thanks for the info guys. I do believe it was a good deal. That rebuilt perkins fired right off and had a sweet sound! The steering was a little sloppy and it had a few dents, gauges were out, mostly easy fixes. I'm sure it made somebody a great tractor. I ended up opting for a jd2040 I found. It also was a heck of a deal and real tight, 1300 hrs for 4500$. It checked out great and I couldn't pass it up! I figured the couple extra hp and weight would be nice for my goal of running a 6' brush hog and the front end may handle a loader better if I ever want one. Anyway I appreciate the help here. I'd still like to own a MF one day if I can save up the coin!