Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here #1  

duglong

Tractor
duglong@hotmail.com
Well, I thought I had a Ford 2120 in my hands and it slipped through. I have now located what looks like a decent tractor... A Massey 285 and am not sure if it is too big or not. I have about 13 acres with a couple paddocks that will require at least some decent turning radius, and will likely at some point put a loader on the thing (if they are affordable). Other than bush hogging, moving dirt around, plowing snow, and pulling fence post I dont see myself having many other uses . They are asking $6900. Does this sound like a decent deal? Loaders expensive? Too big for my needs? Any inherent issues with the model, or things to look out for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Like I have said in past post, I have worked on farms in the past, but always just used what they had and never really needed to know much more about the equipment. Now I need to know what I am getting and this seems a great place for reference.

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here #2  
Well, I thought I had a Ford 2120 in my hands and it slipped through. I have now located what looks like a decent tractor... A Massey 285 and am not sure if it is too big or not. I have about 13 acres with a couple paddocks that will require at least some decent turning radius, and will likely at some point put a loader on the thing (if they are affordable). Other than bush hogging, moving dirt around, plowing snow, and pulling fence post I dont see myself having many other uses . They are asking $6900. Does this sound like a decent deal? Loaders expensive? Too big for my needs? Any inherent issues with the model, or things to look out for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Like I have said in past post, I have worked on farms in the past, but always just used what they had and never really needed to know much more about the equipment. Now I need to know what I am getting and this seems a great place for reference.

Figure $3-6K for a loader depending on whether you go new or used. That's a lot of tractor for 13 acres (82 hp pto, 8000-11000 lb gross weight). My good tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, about 6500 lb with FEL and loaded rear tires) that I use on my 10 acre place.

The 285 was built from 1974-83 so you're looking at a big 30-40 year old tractor that may need major repairs (clutch, tranny, engine seals, hydraulics). Ask yourself how you would handle something like a clutch job--pay to have it done? DIY? If DIY, do you have the equipment to handle a heavy job like this. For example, I have a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower that I bought in Jul06 for $3600. I'll probably be doing a clutch job on it eventually since I've run out of adjustment on the pedal. I'll be a struggle to split that tractor with the equipment I have, but I think I'll be OK.

If the tractor checks out, I'd offer $4500 and deal from there. I wouldn't pay the asking price.

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here #3  
A 285 is a whole lotta tractor compared to the Ford you were looking at. The asking price is in line with what I'd expect on an average 285. Seen 'em sell for that and higher around here. Used loaders for a 285 will be scarce at best. New loaders will be expensive. And you're looking at a tractor that will DEMAND you use CATII implements. Smaller implements will fold up like a cheap lawn chair behind that much weight/hp.....

IMHO, the price is right but that ISN'T the right tractor for your needs....

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here
Thanks a lot. You saved me a lot of time (and potentially money). Your advice has also helped me narrow my search to something between 40-60 hp. Again, I greatly appreciate your time

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here #5  
ohhh nooo.... you can NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH TRACTOR !!!

back when i just had twenty acres .. i had an old 1086 farmall..
it was just fine.
i did putt a loader on it ..used at around 5k... i shure wishes i kept that tractor..
get the biggest tractor u can afford..

my old neighbor randy.. with 15 acres..just bought an old john deere 4440 ..loves it.

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here #6  
i would totally agree with farmwithjunk comments. there are plenty of smaller midsize tractors w/loaders on them that would work for you. even 25 to 40 hp would work for smaller acrerage. a new loader for that 285 would run you 4k+.-jim

/ Massey 285 thoughts? Newbie here #7  
When you buy a tractor, be sure to buy one with the loader already on it. If you don't, the used loaders will be almost impossible to find and the new loaders will cost as much as the tractor. Ken Sweet