What year is my MF255

/ What year is my MF255 #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
Can't find the year on the tractor.

The serial number is 9428085. It is made in the USA.

Anyone know a way to find out?

/ What year is my MF255
The "4" is an "A".... 9A prefix....

1978 model. Built in Detroit, Mi

I found out after I looked closely today that the 4 was indeed the A.

Something in that safety circuit is definitely broken as the tractor will start just fine with the range lever - hi/neutral/low in the hi or low range. I have the parts and service manual on order and since you felt so strongly about it I will get it fixed once I figure out what is broken.

Oh yeah... there isn't a leak. There is this hose coming off the radiator that appears just open to the ground and when I stop the tractor coolant starts coming out of it. Seems it was designed to do this??

/ What year is my MF255 #5  
I found out after I looked closely today that the 4 was indeed the A.

Something in that safety circuit is definitely broken as the tractor will start just fine with the range lever - hi/neutral/low in the hi or low range. I have the parts and service manual on order and since you felt so strongly about it I will get it fixed once I figure out what is broken.

Oh yeah... there isn't a leak. There is this hose coming off the radiator that appears just open to the ground and when I stop the tractor coolant starts coming out of it. Seems it was designed to do this??

I would guess that the safety switch has gone bad and someone has bypassed it. it is on top of the transmission forward of the high/low stick and has 2 wires on it. the over flow tube coming off the radiator dripping, you MIGHT have it over full or a bad rad cap. still not an issue IMHO

/ What year is my MF255
I will look for it. Might be easier with that parts book as I didn't find it on a quick look. Should I need to take something off to access it?

Thinking about this made me realize that I have bypassed the operator seat saftey on my Kubota. In hindsight not the best idea after hearing the story about the guy whose shirt got stuck on the PHD. I'll fix that too or tell the dealer before I trade it in the near future.

My only complaint for the Massey so far is that the seating was designed for a Viking and not for a 5'6" east Indian guy like me! I have to pretty much stand up to depress the clutch to change a gear or range. I've moved the seat as far forward as possible. That and despite my best intentions it is larger than I thought and either it or my manure spreader will have to be parked outside :-(