Buying Advice Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow....

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #1  

BobG_in_VA

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux
I haven't ever owned a MF...going to look at a '67 135 tomorrow morning..owner says it sat a bunch of years..has new carb (not sure which Continental gas engine would be in a '67???), cleaned the tank, set the valves, etc...has good rubber and steering is tight..he says it only has about 700 hrs on the tach and it still works as do all the gauges and lights...he wants $4500...what do you think? PS: I've got a Mahnindra 6000 4wd, a Farmall 140, Farmall 230 and a Super C...need a wide front bushhog tractor that I can haul reasonabley easy (Mahindra weighs in at about 9200lbs without the shredder...) on my gooseneck...thanks! BobG in VA

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #2  
I haven't ever owned a MF...going to look at a '67 135 tomorrow morning..owner says it sat a bunch of years..has new carb (not sure which Continental gas engine would be in a '67???), cleaned the tank, set the valves, etc...has good rubber and steering is tight..he says it only has about 700 hrs on the tach and it still works as do all the gauges and lights...he wants $4500...what do you think? PS: I've got a Mahnindra 6000 4wd, a Farmall 140, Farmall 230 and a Super C...need a wide front bushhog tractor that I can haul reasonabley easy (Mahindra weighs in at about 9200lbs without the shredder...) on my gooseneck...thanks! BobG in VA

Depends on its condition. 700 hours is a pretty hard to find tractor. If it has been stored inside and the condition looks really good I would consider it. If it has sit outside and looks typical for an outside tractor that may be a bit high. You could get a 60's model MF135 diesel for this money or less.

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #3  

I'd be concerned about leakage from hardened oil seals, water seals, etc if that tractor sat for years at a time. You need to check this out thoroughly especially the seal on the oil pan, tranny seals and the rear seal on the pto shaft. There is one or more weep holes on the bottom of the clutch housing. Take a piece of stiff wire or a small diameter twist drill and ream out the dirt in the hole(s) and look for oil dripping. A few drops is normal--if it's a lot more, you may have a bad rear main bearing seal.

Make sure the 2-stage clutch works OK, the pto shift engages/disengages properly with the engine running and the tranny works OK in all gears.

In July06 I bought a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower. Paid $3600.

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #4  
If a MF 135 it would be the Z145 Continental, same motor I have in mine. Tractor was rated at 35 PTO horsepower, have seen different results from tests, some slightly higher and lower.

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #5  
I have a '73 with the Perkins gas. Great tractor and plenty of power. One area that I always look at on a 135 is the pin and bushings that the frontend pivots on. If you can SEE that it's worn then you know it's got some hours on it.
Also, look under the tranny for a cotter pin sticking out of a hole and jiggle it a bit. If you have a rear main leak that's where you'll see oil dripping out onto the ground. You want to jiggle it to be sure it isn't clogged... or plugged on purpose to keep it from dripping. A little oil drip isn't uncommon on a tractor of that age.
I haul mine on a 6x16 tandem bumper pull with the bushhog attached (rotary cutter) and I almost forget it's there.
And around here.... $2000-$3500 is an average price for a 135. That one would have to be pristine!

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow....
Went and saw the 135 this AM...good rubber all around, hyd pump had been rebuilt and worked fine (had a 6ft finish mower hooked up to it)...2stage clutch worked fine...its a "Deluxe" model as it has all the guages..yes, has the Z145 Cont. engine...still has the 12V gen. though...when you turned on the lights (they work too) with the tractor off, the ammeter dropped into the red from dead center..when the tractor starts the needle stays right in the center...neither discharge or charge...it does have a bad water pump..the fan pulley bearing is wobbly but it isn't leaking at this time and the heat gauge barely got into the green...steering is tight... I saw where the tractor is stored...no oil where it was sitting so I'm pretty confident that the seals are OK...and yes, I do believe the hours are original. I think I'll take a chance on it for about $4K...BobG in VA PS: It has the 6/2 trans in it. Shifts good and feels just as if it were new.

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #7  
The MF135 is a very good tractor. I consider them one of the best mowing tractors ever made. They are very good for mowing steep hills.

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #8  
Sounds pretty good. I'd watch for leaks the first 50 hours of operation and fix these before they become a problem.

Old tractor purchases--you generally roll the dice and hope for the best:).

Good luck

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow....
I got a message from the owner when I got home a while ago...they accepted my offer.. I offered $4850 for the MF135 and the 6ft LandPride rear discharge mower..it has new blades and belt...(I really don't need the mower right now, but what the heck, its a nice mower....)BobG in VA

/ Going to look at a MF135 tomorrow.... #10  
Congratulations. Hard to beat the MF 135 in my opinion, but I might be just a little biased. :thumbsup: