Buying Advice Decisions, decisions... MF135 or MF240? Ford 3000? (new guy here looking or help)

/ Decisions, decisions... MF135 or MF240? Ford 3000? (new guy here looking or help) #1  

BigHutch

New guy here, ready to buy his first tractor.

My dad has a MF135 and his father had a MF35, and my other grandad had a Ford 3000. I've used them all except for the MF35, it was long gone before I was able to use it.

I'm looking at either a MF135 or an MF240 or possibly a Ford 3000. I've been looking on craig's list, ebay, tractorhouse, etc... and am keeping my eyes open (I live in GA).

I plan to use the tractor for 3 small food plots each less than 2 acres (6 acres combined); and then just miscellaneous work around the house. I'll probably only need to work with a bush hog, tiller and box blade.

The closest dealers to me are John Deere and Kubota, just not looking to go that route (less than 6 miles). There is a MF dealer about 30 miles away, that is close enough if needed.

Can anybody give advice to the better of the three? Any leads on any in Georgia (South Georgia)? Anything I need to know to look for? Stay away from? etc...? :confused2:

Thanks in advance!

/ Decisions, decisions... MF135 or MF240? Ford 3000? (new guy here looking or help) #2  
I just bought a massey ferguson 245 but was not set on any one model. When you look at the tractor check engine to make sure it is cold. Tractor should start easily and shouldn't smoke a whole lot when running a little on start up is ok. Check for play in the steering as steering boxes and pumps are relatively expensive. Check for smooth operation of the lift. It should not be "juddery" in operation. Check hole with cotter pin on bottom of bellhousing for leakage. A drop or two is nothing to worry about but you should not have a steady stream of oil. jiggle cotter pin a little. There is a 150 that is like a 135 but weighs a bit more, near you on tractor house. The diesel seems to be desirable over the gas models although they both get the job done. Tractor seems to me to be a lever against the earth. Weight seems to be an advantage tractordata can give you the specs. I am new to tractors this is just what I have learned in a few weeks of looking. Good luck.

/ Decisions, decisions... MF135 or MF240? Ford 3000? (new guy here looking or help) #3  
you are comparing apples to apples it will boil down to the individual tractor as to which is best. Diesel better than gas, no multipower if going with a mf.
just my opinion.

/ Decisions, decisions... MF135 or MF240? Ford 3000? (new guy here looking or help) #4  
New guy here, ready to buy his first tractor.

My dad has a MF135 and his father had a MF35, and my other grandad had a Ford 3000. I've used them all except for the MF35, it was long gone before I was able to use it.

I'm looking at either a MF135 or an MF240 or possibly a Ford 3000. I've been looking on craig's list, ebay, tractorhouse, etc... and am keeping my eyes open (I live in GA).

I plan to use the tractor for 3 small food plots each less than 2 acres (6 acres combined); and then just miscellaneous work around the house. I'll probably only need to work with a bush hog, tiller and box blade.

The closest dealers to me are John Deere and Kubota, just not looking to go that route (less than 6 miles). There is a MF dealer about 30 miles away, that is close enough if needed.

Can anybody give advice to the better of the three? Any leads on any in Georgia (South Georgia)? Anything I need to know to look for? Stay away from? etc...? :confused2:

Thanks in advance!

If you're considering 50+ year old tractors from the 1960s, I would'nt be too concerned about proximity to a dealer. You can get the seals and bolt on parts via the Internet and do that work yourself. If it's something more serious (engine rebuild, clutch, tranny, rear end), figure you'll be doing that work yourself also unless you can find someone nearby (not a dealer) to do the job. I have 5 old tractors ranging from a 1945 Oliver 60 to a 1964 MF135 diesel that will never see the inside of a dealer's shop. That's why I have my own shop (about 1000 sq ft with double 10 x 10 ft rollup doors. My good tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 that gets treated to dealer service when necessary.

Since you didn't mention that you need/want a front end loader (FEL) and you're doing a few small food plots, you could get by with a smaller tractor than the MF135, 240 or Ford 3000. My 1951 Farmall Super A ($1300 including a rear scraper blade, 3pt hitch, 6-ft mid-mount sicklebar mower) could handle your jobs with no trouble. Parts for these old Farmalls are easily available on the Internet.

DSCF0126 (Small).JPGDSCF0127 (Small).JPGDSCF0128 (Small).JPGDSCF0129 (Small).JPGDSCF0130 (Small).JPG

Good luck.