SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #1  

Cropdustr

Bronze Member
Well guys my 2410TLB has hit its 50 hours with no problems, as we know its time for service, and I'm asking who thinks its worth dealer to do service aprox cost $600.00, or should we change the oil and fuild ourselfs ?????? are there any secrets that the dealer has and is it worth it ?????

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #2  
It is cheaper to do it yourself and it's not hard. Although I don't know your tractor, I don't foresee anything to be worried about. I can only suggest you open the book and see if there are little details. For example, one of my tractors has three drain plugs for the tranny. With 50 hours, is it still under warranty? And if so, does doing it yourself void warranty? I've never bought anything new. The only warranties I've ever held are for tools. Hope I helped at least a little bit.

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #3  
I just had my 50 done a couple of months ago by the local John Deere dealership, I figure that while the tractor is under warranty they can do all the work, that way there are no questions if anything fails. I was charged $289 btw, your guy sounds expensive, I have a 2720 with fel but no backhoe.

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #4  
First thing is to look at the manuel and find the service interval, and do what is required. On my 1643, I did the oil change, the dealer did all the rest, I.E. trans, and hydro filters and fluid, I just let them do that, I had no place to dispose of the used fluid. And that was just $289.00, most of that was for thoughs HIGH priced filters and the 15gal of hydro fluid.
But $600.00 is quite a soaking for a 50 hr. service.

I did the oil and filer change because I'm not going to pay $72 per hr to do an oil change, that takes 15 mins. of work.
david

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #5  
Yes, I thought $289 was cheap too, I didn't mention that they took my rfm and sharpened and cleaned it as well. As far as I know that wasn't any kind of special deal for me in particular, it was the price they gave over the phone, including pick-up and delivery (about 10 miles each way).

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #6  
You'll probably do a better job than the dealer because it is your machine. Save the dealer for when you can't figure out the fancy electronics.

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #7  
I just changed my Oil and filter at 50hrs,that way can get the little metal shavings out(cool thing oil plug is magnetized)and get the so called break-in oil out. I didnt do the hyd.fluid until 200hrs(but my tractor is just sync.shuttle).Changed the fuel filter also at 50hrs. So do you guys think the hyd.fluid should really be changed at 50hrs? Mine never looked bad just figured it was time at 200hrs.....

I used whatever my dealer suggested(of course it was Kubota oil),lol!! Really wasnt nothing to it,not anywhere close to $600 for them to do it. My cost to do it all was around $250

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #8  
at 15 min, you're changing oil, not completing a "service".

On the GC series, the initial 50 hour "service" includes, front axle oil change, engine oil & filter change, hydraulic fluid & filter change( Plus cleaning the pickup screen), fuel filter change. Most likely an air filter, a good grease job, checking coolant level & Ph, checking loader, backhoe and wheel hardware. Tire pressures, belts, safety switch operation, light & hazard operation.

That's just what I would do off the top of my head. I would have to go over a checklist for anything I missed.

$600 on the high side for a sub-compact. $289, thats a steal, I would bet thats just a fluid change, nothing extra. Pick-up & delivery or on-site travel plays in too.

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE
MFRED, you rattled off service to items I wasn't even thinking about, dealer sents service truck to the home for service, my dealer is at least an hour away, I think I will allow dealer to do 50 hour service and try to watch just what they do so next time I might be able to do it, but your right unit is still under warranty, and I have another whole year. when I asked my dealer I wanted to change my engine oil, he stated don't waste your money, MF stated 50 hours on oil for 1st service. Dealer advised me next service would than be in another 100 hours, I questioned 100 hours on engine oil?? he stated again you can change it sooner but he feels you are wasting money and still very good oil.

/ SERVICE BY DEALER FOR 50 SERVICE #10  
I live by the rule that if you can run it you can service it, I spent too many years around repair shops to let anyone but myself service anything I own. There is no magic in draining fluids, cleaning screens, greasing zerks and replacing fluids.