my 'new' MF 230

/ my 'new' MF 230 #1  

frankroberts

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 50
Hello all,

I bought this MF 230 from a private owner about 30 miles away from me. A friend saw the 230 sitting in a yard with a For Sale sign. I paid $4900. Back blade was included. I have it home now and have hauled 2 trailer loads of brush down to my burn pile. This morning I hooked up my mower and all went well.

I have one question. What is the difference between 'live power' and 'independent power'. Is it just two ways of getting to the same place? This tractor has independent power (I think). I was able to have the mower blades running while tractor was sitting still. Is that not 'live power'?

It seems that at some point the sheetmetal around the dash was repainted and the serial number plate was not replaced. Is there any other was of determining the year?

Also the guy I bought from had replaced the cable that goes from the distributor to the tachometer. Therefore the hour count is not accurate. The tractor looks as good in person as the pictures. Time will tell I guess.

Here's some pics. Let me know what you think.

frankroberts

Attachments

• DSCN0085.jpg
    DSCN0085.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,752
  • DSCN0086.jpg
    DSCN0086.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,086
  • DSCN0089.jpg
    DSCN0089.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,768
  • DSCN0090.jpg
    DSCN0090.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,784
   / my 'new' MF 230 #2  
'Live power' PTO uses the clutch pedal 2nd position to disengage pto drive. Also called two-stage clutch. Independent pto uses a hyraulic gear to disengage and engage pto shaft and you can do it w/o touching clutch pedal. Both ways you can have PTO operational while tracotr is standing still.

/ my 'new' MF 230 #4  
Looks to be in great shape. Without any papers when you bought it I'd contact the previous owner, is it possible he forgot to re-install the plate after painting the dash?

/ my 'new' MF 230
Looks to be in great shape. Without any papers when you bought it I'd contact the previous owner, is it possible he forgot to re-install the plate after painting the dash?

I thought of that too. He said that he had bought it at an auction last Sept. and never noticed the serial number plate was missing. Are ther any other ways of figuring out what year it was made?

/ my 'new' MF 230 #6  
I know on the diesel 231 you can figure out the year off the engine serial number....assuming its the right engine, that might work.