Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat

Default Re: 1532 HST or Shuttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse masterson View Post
    My opinion is a tractor is made for pulling generally speaking you can get anymore reliable than steel gears for pulling clutch wins for me . Ps you'll never see a hydrostatic at a tractor pull
    Aww you are correct..But in this day and age more and more people are mowing grass and doing loader work at home with the compact tractors. I used to work on the ranch putting up hay. Mowing the field round and round all day long, raking, bailing and those that plow all day long. I have no doubt that a gear drive tractor would be better. Hey even feeding the cows. Tie the steering wheel in low gear jump on the bale wagon and feed those fellows. a one man job. You can't do that with a hydro. Well I guess you could on one with cruise control. But my kind of mowing forward and reverse changing all of the time. and loader work in close quarters. No way.. I'd take the hydrostat any day. I have worked side by side with guys and a gear drive tractor loading a pile spinning their tires to get a load (of course I often wonder if they know what they are doing) but I can load out of a pile and never spin a tire at all. It is so simple to operate. But I agree with you 100%. for pulling a plow all day long a gear drive is better...

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

I agree! Cant be a Powershuttle for ease of use too. And so many gear choices is excellent too.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat

Yeah. I'd like to try one of those. I think it is probably like our case backhoes. But it has an electric clutch
    George

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

Congrats, looks great.

HST is more convenient to operate. A shuttle will have about 15% more power to the ground. A mechanical transmission is much more efficient than and HST transmission - doesn't matter what color it is.

Tractor
    massey ferguson 1540 hydro, and massey ferguson 1531 hydro

i have a 1531 hst with 2800 hrs, and a 1540 hst with 4300 hrs, i use them both for grounds keeping at a campground, for mowing with rear mount finshing mowers and loader work on the 1540 i would not want any other transmission, i also use these tractors for spoting and moving travel trailers, and in low range both of these tractors will move alot more than is safe to do with them, i would not hesitate to spend the xtra money on the hst, and the power to wieght ratio on the 1531 is awsome it embaresses my 1540

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    07 kioti dk 45s

I'm sure under general condition a hst is as good as a gear as far as. Performance but as far as toughness you can't beat gears , you'll prbley be working on it more if it's anyway abused. Which tractors sometimes are. I. Personally like gears unless I'm doing light to medium loader work them the hst will shine.as far as pulling that's more traction than tranny although gears will generally outpull.

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

I'm sure under general condition a hst is as good as a gear as far as. Performance but as far as toughness you can't beat gears , you'll prbley be working on it more if it's anyway abused. Which tractors sometimes are. I. Personally like gears unless I'm doing light to medium loader work them the hst will shine.as far as pulling that's more traction than tranny although gears will generally outpull.
    The thing is that HST is very hard to abuse. Gear is easy to abuse. With gear you have to know what you are doing.

Speaking about pulling power of HST and Gear. HST will pull the same as gear. The limit is the traction. My experience is that you will run out of traction before you run out of power. In case that the traction is high enough to prevent slippage HST will deliver the same pulling power as gear tractor of the same mass but at lower speed and higher fuel consumption.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    07 kioti dk 45s

If hst was as durable as gear they would use it for tractor pulls , don't get me wrong it's more tires and weigh issues than tranny but if you pulled max potential day after day a gear is going to give you less issues.it's a matter of taste I believe, but steel gears is hard to beat as far as strength.

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

If hst was as durable as gear they would use it for tractor pulls , don't get me wrong it's more tires and weigh issues than tranny but if you pulled max potential day after day a gear is going to give you less issues.it's a matter of taste I believe, but steel gears is hard to beat as far as strength.
    Yes. If you are plowing all day gear is hard to beat. But for average owner of acreage or hobby farm HST does most chores better than gear. Power shuttle come close though.
    Speaking about durability of HST. It will last at least as long as gear. I talked to a guy who is a mechanic servicing fork lifts in large warehouse. They are all HST. He said that the HST is very reliable.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast