Buying Advice 1532 HST or Shuttle?

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #31  
I agree , I'm sure there well made , my perception is also influenced by observation of posts made by other tractor owners . From what I've seen the owners of hst tractors love there performance but there are also more posts of things tearing up on them than gears, that's not saying there not durable . Just not quite as much. As far as forklift operators they are usually designed for lifting not as much for pulling. If those forklifts pulled heavy items every day like a tractor might it could be a different story.but I'm sure you'll do fine with either either one Good luck

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #32  
Fork lifts are quite heavy so accelerating and decelerating them during direction change requires lot of power and puts significant stress on the power train. That is multiplied by frequent direction changes.
Most tractors on acreages are used for transporting stuff such FEL work and/or digging, mowing etc. Not that many people plow.

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #33  
I had a 1215 Massey for 14 years with Hydrostat and it never gave me any problems. I agree that if you don't abuse them they will last. I know that gear drive is great but for what I do I wouldn't have anything but Hydrostat.

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #34  
Wow you guys almost convince me I'm old fashioned haha, if I had to do it over I may have done things different, but oh well , I guess I am old fashioned. !

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle?
Well I did end up getting the 1532 HST and loving it. So easy to drive and FEL work with lots of front and back repetitive work goes very efficiently. Have also done a fair bit of work with box scraper and 6 foot blade and it has had no trouble. So for a casual owner like me I have not regretted going HST.

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #36  
Well I did end up getting the 1532 HST and loving it. So easy to drive and FEL work with lots of front and back repetitive work goes very efficiently. Have also done a fair bit of work with box scraper and 6 foot blade and it has had no trouble. So for a casual owner like me I have not regretted going HST.

Yours probably has the throttle in the Hydro pedals too? That is pretty nice. I like it a lot. Another thing about Hydro is that you rarely have to use the brakes. I mowed the d a m on our community lake and it has about 2 to 1 slopes. I could go down that slope and not even touch the brakes. Of course I know you can do that with a standard transmission too

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #37  
Love the HST myself, but I have to say when I drove a 1660 with Dyna QPS, well, it was something you could get used to real quick. My only concern with HST is $$.

Haven't researched it much but it seems like the 50 hour and 300 hour servicing requirements are fairly expensive for the HST, not sure what the servicing requirements / costs are for todays geared / Shuttlle or Dyna transmissions are.

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #38  
I just bought the 1660 with DynaQPS 12 X 12. My hours are in the low 20's right now so I can't brag about what it does or does not do yet. I sold a John Deere 4500 with the power reverser to get this one with a cab because the only way I could get a cabbed 4720 deere was to go with HST and I didn't want that. I had a 4320 prior to the 4500 and it was a hydro, 2 months after the warranty went out, the transmission followed it, after I spent several thousand dollars and a few shouting matches with the dealer I went tractor shopping. Now I'm not gonna say that all HST's will fail if you work it hard, just the one I had did, there were several more inconviences, it was noisy, had more expensive filters, acted funny when oil was cold, and I could never get used to the brake being on the left side, etc... This debate could go on just like the Ford and Chevy debates always do and I"m not bashing the HST's, they are great for most hobby farm and general work duties, and cannot be beat for tight spaces when doing loader work and such, just don't hook up to a wide pasture conditioner and work it at max pulling capacity all day.

Dadioh, You have made a good choice, that is a strong and pretty machine, this is my first Massey and I can't believe that I have just been overlooking them all these years, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine:thumbsup:

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #39  
I prefer shuttle. I don't take anything to a mechanic and I like to be able to understand and repair my equipment. Shuttles are actually simple and not that much harder to use than a HST. If my wife was inclined to ever get on one the tractors, I would consider a HST.

/ 1532 HST or Shuttle? #40  
I would agree with you that doing any long term pulling, you probably don't want the hydro. I only have three acres and mostly mow but use the loader for little work but my 1526 is perfect for what I'm doing. I have had it for 3 months and haven't even done my 50 hour service yet. So you know I don't use it that much.