Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Re: Tell me about Massey tractors please!

-img_9043-jpg-img_9045-jpg-img_9042-jpgHere are some pictures. Looks a little rough, could use some paint and TLC. I also need to add a front weight bracket, some weights, and a grill guard.

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

Was the 231 built at the same factory with the 240, 245 etc? I heard the 245 was made in England but the 231 Turkey or Poland. I have a 245 and there is a sweet 231 for sale nearby and I want the same quality. Both have the Perkins AD3.152 engine. Also I don't understand the HP difference with the same engine, was that a fuel based change or bore and stroke? Anyone know?

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

I posted the above I found the link titled:

MF 231 - Will a 230/240 shop manual work?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/m...230-240-a.html

Platinum Member
    Tractor

OK, I bought this old Massey 240 which was sound mechanically (I hope) but looked rough with lots of rust and pealing paint. I changed all fluids and filters, added new tires, new seat, new guages, and had a local restorer blast and paint it. I had an old front weight off of a kubota that weighs about 250 lbs. and used a Massey weight frame and fabricated others brackets to jury rig and attach the weight. Bought the old Massey grill guard on Ebay and pieced this all together with bolts and welding. I guess it adds about 350 lbs to the front. Hopefully this is enough. I also am filling the rear tires. I am very pleased, as it looks new. Thought I would share some pix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc04599-jpg   -dsc04586-jpg   -dsc04592-jpg  

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

Very nice. The paint looks very good. What seat did you use and did you have to drill new mounting holes? I need to replace the seat on my 245 and am wondering if the same one would fit. I also need to clean up and redo my transmission and axles. Did the sand blasting work well?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-3346544403-jpg  

Platinum Member
    Tractor

The guy I bought it from added the seat just before I bought it so I am not sure. I will look more closely and see if I can see what it is and how it was attached. THe blasting worked great. The man who painted is restores old tractors and has lots of experience. I originally planned to paint it myself, but I just did not have time and decided to let this gentleman do it. He really went overboard and totally disassembled it and painted everything...gas tank, wheels inside and out and of course all sheetmetal and engine. Way more than I had planned at first! I almost hate to dirty it up!

Tractor
    MF 1643

Great looking tractor!
    Proverbs 31:6-7
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my kudzu thinks I am.

Tractor
    Kubota L5740

wow really makes that one pop
    Kubota L5740 La854
    MF 35 Deluxe gas wloader...For sale

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Numerous

Quote Originally Posted by HCJtractor View Post
    I saw a Massey Ferguson 231 for sale locally and it caught my eye. It looked like a tractor I would like to have. Since then, I have been reading and searching for Masseys and just wondered if someone with knowledge would tell me more about them. Specifically, ones in the 30 to 45 hp range and of a 1980's to early 90's vintage (which seem to be the ones in my price range!) I would prefer the diesel, but have seen some with the gas engine. Don't know much about gas tractors, but should I consider that option? Any info, with specific model numbers and opinions would be helpful and interesting! Also average price to expect would be nice. And how many hours would be reasonable? I would use it for general utility work, but primarily bush hogging. In other words, if you were looking for a Massey, what would you look for?
    The 231 is the late 1980s - early 1990s version of the 135, itself one of the most highly-regarded small utility tractors of all time. By todays standards the 231 is a rugged and economical if rather basic work horse. The versions with the three cylinder Perkins AD152 diesel are the most desireable and most common. This engine is very highly regarded and quite economical to operate. Issues to consider vis a vis more modern machines are dry drum brakes and fully unsynchronized transmission.

SDT

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old

Quote Originally Posted by HCJtractor
    OK, I bought this old Massey 240 which was sound mechanically (I hope) but looked rough with lots of rust and pealing paint. I changed all fluids and filters, added new tires, new seat, new guages, and had a local restorer blast and paint it. I had an old front weight off of a kubota that weighs about 250 lbs. and used a Massey weight frame and fabricated others brackets to jury rig and attach the weight. Bought the old Massey grill guard on Ebay and pieced this all together with bolts and welding. I guess it adds about 350 lbs to the front. Hopefully this is enough. I also am filling the rear tires. I am very pleased, as it looks new. Thought I would share some pix.
    Harold, that's simply an amazing transformation. Thanks for sharing. I have the same seat on my 135 and it sure keeps your false teeth in your mouth. Enjoy your seat time. - robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12