Tell me about Massey tractors please!

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I saw a Massey Ferguson 231 for sale locally and it caught my eye. It looked like a tractor I would like to have. Since then, I have been reading and searching for Masseys and just wondered if someone with knowledge would tell me more about them. Specifically, ones in the 30 to 45 hp range and of a 1980's to early 90's vintage (which seem to be the ones in my price range!) I would prefer the diesel, but have seen some with the gas engine. Don't know much about gas tractors, but should I consider that option? Any info, with specific model numbers and opinions would be helpful and interesting! Also average price to expect would be nice. And how many hours would be reasonable? I would use it for general utility work, but primarily bush hogging. In other words, if you were looking for a Massey, what would you look for?

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #2  
Can't speak to the 231 personally, lots to read here if you search the threads on them. As far as 80s and 90s model year tractors that fit your budget for what you describe will be primarily used for hogging, that's too new for a lot of us :).

As I'm sure you've discovered reading through the MF threads there are a few of us who own 60s and 70s MF 135/150/165 etc......... They're strong old tractors that are reportedly great for that type of work, I've never used mine for that but I have hauled a lot of log, moved a lot of snow, graded 2-2 1/2 acres of my property before building and use it to take care of our paddock / manure piles etc for our horses. It is a gas vice diesel, have never been wanting for torque or power, 4 wheel drive maybe on occassion yes and a little more front wieght (it will turn itself over or bury itself before quitting).

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please!
Thanks. I see some gas engine models locally more so than diesels. How do they compare as far as power and dependability, ease of maintenance, etc? I just envisioned a diesel, mainly because of using same fuel source as my other tractor. (and like the way they sound!!)

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #4  
The link will give you some insight into the difference between gas and diesel engines.

As far as ease to work on, I haven't worked on diesels but have been working around cars pretty much my whole life, so I was comfortable with the decision to buy a gasser.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 135 tractor information

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #5  
I've got a 231 diesel with a loader...I like the size but after market parts are not easy to find. For some reason, the 231 just doesn't show up much on the parts' lists.

I think the one I have was well-used and the engine is pretty well shot, but it still starts and runs and while it uses about a gallon of oil an hour, I can still mow with it and push brush. One of these days I need to overhaul the engine, and I hear the Perkins engine is an easy overhaul. Unfortunately, the after-market-photo-copied service manual is about $100 which I want but that just seems crazy for a photo-copied manual.

So while I'm OK with the 231....and think the Massey line is a good one, if I was buying a replacement I'd like to have a 135 or 150 in good shape. Parts are easy to find and reasonably priced.

I also see a Massey 165 locally. I need to take a look at that one also. Any opinions of these? I have read lots of posts on them.

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #7  
in our region we use massey ferguson 165 most of the times. its very reliable tractor with an easy engine to assemble but the problem is with the lift. because the hydralic lift is insude the body just behind the gear box it uses the gear oil that is used by the rear wheel gears which easily heat the oil hence heating the 'o' rings in the pump because of hot weather and too much working, the pump end up not lifting properly threfore more disel needed because of too much refs to lift the plough.

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #8  
Back in the 80's I owned a MF 231. It was a very basic tractor no bells or whistles. The version I had the square fenders which made it (at least for me) hard to get on and off the machine. The later versions have the claim shell which made it much easier to get on and off. Didn't have any problems with the machine while I had it. Mine was the diesel version. Mainly used it for pasture mowing utilizing a 6' bush hog. Wanted to have more hydraulic capabilities so traded it in for a MF 253. I kept the 253 for 17 years with only one minor problem the entire time.

Well, I am now a Massey owner. After looking at 3 or 4, I found a nice 240 diesel with 750 hours. It is weathered and could use some TLC, but it seems to run fine. It had a loader that I removed and just sold. I just did not want a loader on this tractor. The diverter valve also seemed like it would have been a pain to operate, switching back and forth from FEL to 3 point hitch. By selling the loader, I only have about $4500 in the tractor. I changed all fluids and filters, and added some new 6.00 x 16 front ribbed tires. It has 14.9x24" on the rear, that I eventually will replace. It is in desperate need of front weight, so I plan to add some suitcase weights as soon as I can find or make a frame to hold them. I also need to add a grill guard.

The lights don't work, so I need to spend some time checkng fuses, bulbs, or wiring to figure out why.

/ Tell me about Massey tractors please! #10  
pictures??? congrats