My new MF1526 only here for one hour

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #1  

mjzman

Tractor
M-F 1526
I purchased a new MF1526, FEL, and Caroni flail mower about ten days ago. Had to wait a few days for the mower to come in. Delivery was today from my dealer about 130 miles away. When it got here, it would not come off the trailer! The 3-pt hitch would not lift the mower but two inches. It had been fine at the dealer when loaded, but something apparently went wrong on the drive here. The driver tried everything he could think of, called back to their shop and tried all the shop foreman could think of, but no go. They called AGCO/Massey and were told it was likely a problem with a plugged valve to the hitch. They were told it was some kind of known problem with new tractors. So after about an hour here it was back to the dealer shop for repairs. I should have it back again day after tomorrow. Feel kind of sorry for the driver who has to make the five hour round trip twice now. This dealer sells primarily big agricultural equipment. I was told they sell on average one or two tractors below 50hp each year, so a 1526 is not exactly something they are familiar with, but seem to be very good people.

MikeZ

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #2  
Sorry to hear that, I hope they get it fixed.

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #3  
Sorry to hear, let us know how it goes..

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour
OK. Got it back today.
Seems what happens was: there is some valve that balances front and rear hydraulics. When, as the dealer puts it, the factory installs the FEL they are supposed to change or adjust this valve to balance between the front and the rear PTO. Every once in a while they forget to do this, which is what happened on my tractor. By the way, the "factory" he talked about is actually the Massey assembly facility for foreign made tractors. Anyway, all is well. I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

I do notice, and will ask about in another thread, that this 26HP Massy seems much, much, less powerful than a 32HP tractor I used to own. Is there really that much of a difference for a few HP? Or--- I owned the previous tractor in Missouri at 600 ft elevation. I own this tractor in Colorado at 6,000 ft elevation. Does elevation make that much difference for small diesel engines? I know RV owners always go for diesel because they say a diesel is not affected by elevation as compared to gas engines.

Another interesting to me tidbit. Got to talking with the young guy who delivered my tractor. Turns out he was the 2008 Champion Calf Roper at the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo. Then busted up his knee but is hoping to make a comeback in next years rodeo circuit. I like to watch rodeo, and have immense respect for those guys and what they put themselves through.

MikeZ

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #5  
That may be true about the motorhomes, but I'm sure they all have a turbo which will keep the power up at altitude of that height.

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #6  
So, if the issue was a factory problem how did the tractor work when it was loaded at the dealer and then not work when they tried to unload at your place?

MoKelly

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour
I'm curious about that too, and they had no answer. One thought is that it was good for one lift and pulled all the fluid one way, then the fluid was no longer available. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. They had to make the fix in the box that controls the FEL operation. Anyway, I ran it around some last night and it works well. My next chore is adjusting cutting height on the Caroni flail mower-- I have to get a couple of 18 or 19 mm wrenches, 3/4 inch is a hair too big.

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #8  
I'm curious about that too, and they had no answer. One thought is that it was good for one lift and pulled all the fluid one way, then the fluid was no longer available. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. They had to make the fix in the box that controls the FEL operation. Anyway, I ran it around some last night and it works well. My next chore is adjusting cutting height on the Caroni flail mower-- I have to get a couple of 18 or 19 mm wrenches, 3/4 inch is a hair too big.

I guess that makes some sense. Anyway, glad it works now and good luck!.

MoKelly

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #9  
OK. Got it back today.
Seems what happens was: there is some valve that balances front and rear hydraulics. When, as the dealer puts it, the factory installs the FEL they are supposed to change or adjust this valve to balance between the front and the rear PTO. Every once in a while they forget to do this, which is what happened on my tractor. By the way, the "factory" he talked about is actually the Massey assembly facility for foreign made tractors. Anyway, all is well. I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

I do notice, and will ask about in another thread, that this 26HP Massy seems much, much, less powerful than a 32HP tractor I used to own. Is there really that much of a difference for a few HP? Or--- I owned the previous tractor in Missouri at 600 ft elevation. I own this tractor in Colorado at 6,000 ft elevation. Does elevation make that much difference for small diesel engines? I know RV owners always go for diesel because they say a diesel is not affected by elevation as compared to gas engines.

Another interesting to me tidbit. Got to talking with the young guy who delivered my tractor. Turns out he was the 2008 Champion Calf Roper at the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo. Then busted up his knee but is hoping to make a comeback in next years rodeo circuit. I like to watch rodeo, and have immense respect for those guys and what they put themselves through.

MikeZ
What was your previous tractor? Please give the model number.

/ My new MF1526 only here for one hour #10  
Altitude makes a world of differance on a non turbo engine