MF 2635

/ MF 2635 #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
Though I held off nearly all summer, the incentives finally became too great to resist and I bought a 2635. I will use it mostly for mowing duty with occassional miscellaneous duty.

I bought the Synchro-shuttle, independent PTO,a FEL since it was nearly free, HD bucket, 4 rear weights for the loader (I never load tires), dual hydraulic remotes and a front weight bracket so that I can move and possibly use my Woods DSM1260 10 1/2' mower. I had planned to use it with my Woods BB720X 6' mower currently behind my MF 533 but cannot set the rear wheels in sufficiently to satisfy me without moving the fenders, which, though possible, I do not wish to do because it cramps the operators station and will likely cause the fenders to rub on the ROPS. My dealer offered me what I believe to be a good deal on a Woods BB840X 7' mower so I bought that as well for use with the 2635. They will need to order toe mower.

I shopped NH and Kubota for a 55 - 60 HP open station basic utility tractor but could not come within $5,000 - $6,000 of the MF deal for a package spec'ed out like what I bought. The NH Workmaster series was competitive but does not have a fully synchronized main transmission, which was a prerequisite.

An added benefit that few consider is the PTO gearing. Rarely do I need rated HP for mowing, yet, unlike older tractors, most modern tractors are designed such that rated PTO speed is at or very near rated engine speed. This forces one to operate at rated engine speed when mowing light cover in order to maintain adequate blade tip speed. This, of course, increases wear, adds unneeded hours and uses unnecessary fuel. Like my 533, the 2635 is designed to produce 540 PTO RPM at approximately 1750 RPM, a very desireable feature for me. I can cruise along at 1750 RPM with plenty of governor and foot throttle available for the really tough spots.

/ MF 2635
Not sure just what happened here but my message was posted while I was proof reading.

In any event, it will not be here for a couple of weeks, so any 2635 experiences will be appreciated.

SDT

/ MF 2635
Did you end up getting this tractor?

My experience I posted a bit about in this thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-buying-pricing/233971-mf-2635-a.html

I do need to provide an update since I just traded the tractor for another, and it would be good for guys looking at these tractors to compare notes.

I did, Mack.

I bought it last fall and spent the winter getting it sorted out and set up as I want. I have not used it enough yet to be able to offer much useful feedback.

I did buy it knowing that the 2600 series is a low features/frills/cost line that has received some bad press. I believe that I got a good deal on it and will work it this summer while there is plenty of warranty. If things do not work out like I expect, I will sell it before the warranty expires and get a (much more expensive) Kubota or NH.

SDT