Proud Massey 231 owner

/ Proud Massey 231 owner #1  

gatordog

Tractor
1980 MF 280, 1979 IH 684
:licking:

I just bought a used MF 231 with a Howse 5 ft shredder. The tractor just needs the center front axle bushing, tie rod ends, and the water temp gauge does not work. Rear tires are 90 to 100 % (one is brand new) and the fronts are brand new, fresh paint and the shredder is new also. I paid 5,500 for it, I hope I did not over pay.

My question is I went to Tractor data to run the numbers and Tractor data said the serial number would be on the right side below the cluster, but it is on the left side and the numbers don't match tractordata example. I hope it is a 231? There is a casting on the transmission on the right side that you can see "231". The tractor has a very fresh paint job, so it is easy to see all the casting numbers.

Just need to get a loader and some other attachments. Also need to get the 100 % water out of the cooling system and add coolant. Which coolant do I need? Can I run regular and added the diesel additive, or just go a get some from John Deere?

Also need an Oil change, would like to go with Rotella T-6, but don't know what the specs are, guess it is time to get an owners manuel.

/ Proud Massey 231 owner #2  
We moved our MF 265 to Rotella T-6 and it seems a bit more quite.

Sounds like you got a tractor that will serve you well. Often they do not come with good tires.

/ Proud Massey 231 owner #3  
Congratulations! Any pictures? We like pictures. If the tractor is in good condition with lower hours and/or a quality rebuild I would say your price was good. The MF231 only had the Perkins AD3.152 engine and they do not have a history of cavitation so you could run regular green antifreeze, however, I run Fleetguard in my two MF245s which have the same engine. As far as engine oil, I use Shell Rotella T5 10W-30, but whatever you use make sure it is a quality diesel rated oil. Make sure you check your hydraulic fluid. Not sure about the 231s, but my 245s have the hydraulic dipstick behind your right heel when you are in the seat. If it is discolored or you don't know the fluid change history, make sure you change that as well. Good luck and welcome to owning an older MF, they are great, great basic tractors that will run forever if taken care of.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT32599_09.pdf
http://www-static.shell.com/static/...ts_services/lubricants/rotella/rotella_t5.pdf

/ Proud Massey 231 owner
Thanks for the information, The previous owner changed all the fluids including the hydraulic fluid, and yes the little dipstick is in the same location next to that adjuster thing (whatever that thing is, looks like it does nothing). I need to add a string to that little dipstick, I can see that getting lost. Other than what I mentioned above the tractor is very clean, all the sheet metal, tires, paint are in great shape. Engine fires up and no blow by.

Is there anyway to install a coolant filter system? That way I can run the filter with the time released additive. I always install those on my Trucks, any I have never had to change a waterpump so far.

Any good on-line parts dealers with a good part look up system?

/ Proud Massey 231 owner
Thanks for the information, The previous owner changed all the fluids including the hydraulic fluid, and yes the little dipstick is in the same location next to that adjuster thing (whatever that thing is, looks like it does nothing). I need to add a string to that little dipstick, I can see that getting lost. Other than what I mentioned above the tractor is very clean, all the sheet metal, tires, paint are in great shape. Engine fires up and no blow by.

Is there anyway to install a coolant filter system? That way I can run the filter with the time released additive. I always install those on my Trucks, any I have never had to change a waterpump so far.

Any good on-line parts dealers with a good part look up system?

/ Proud Massey 231 owner #6  
Congrats on the tractor.

/ Proud Massey 231 owner #7  
I have a MF 231 and LOVE it. Mine is a 1998 (has the letter "G" in the serial number). I bought it about 5 years ago with 480 hours on it. Now it has right at 1045 hours. So far the only thing i've had to do to keep it going is change the battery once (which was a couple months ago) and put a new alternator/fan belt last year. This is 1 tuff tractor for it's size! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MASSEY FERGUSON. I've had 5 tractors so far and the 231 Massey has been my most favorite. If i had to go buy a new tractor tomorrow it would either be a Massey Ferguson or Mahindra. Id probably get the Massey though.

If u need any info just let me know and we'll see if i can help u or not. I have owners manuals and a parts manual for this tractor (not for sale).

/ Proud Massey 231 owner
Travis, could you check the manuel and see what is says are the procedures for removing and reinstalling the drop spindle into the drop axle bracket. I installed new bushings and now the drop spindle will not go in. I could try a press or have the drop spindle turned down, or bore out the bushings.

FYI, the previous owner never greased this machine, not good, tractors should be greased everyday of operation.

/ Proud Massey 231 owner #9  
Drop spindle? Drop axle? Im not sure what you're talking about. I dont have a service manual, only an owner's manual and parts list book.

/ Proud Massey 231 owner
Drop spindle? Drop axle? Im not sure what you're talking about. I dont have a service manual, only an owner's manual and parts list book.

The spindle is what the bearing and hub mounts to in order to mount the front tire. Since a tractor has high ground clearance they lower the spindle by using a "drop". In the case with the Massey in order to get this "drop" they have a machined cylinder looking piece that mounts in to a housing that uses bushings as the wear item. I need to know what is the common procedure when installing new bushings. I will take to a machine shop, tired of fighting a loosing battle. Need to move Massey out of shop, since the International 684 is on its way.