Buying Advice About to pull trigger on GC2400

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400 #1  

GoRiders

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2400
First time poster...

I have been looking to upgrade to a SCUT from my Craftsman garden tractor and 70's vintage International 354 tractor for some time now. I have five acres of predominantly flat land and I mow most of it. I use the garden tractor around the house and the IH with a 6 foot finishing mower for the rest (which is a pain in the ***** mowing around trees). I would like to replace both these pieces of equipment with a single unit. The new tractor will be used 90% of the time for cutting grass, but I do want a loader as well. The John Deere 1026r was at the top of my list if money was no option, but last week I discovered that Massey Ferguson had a free loader and $1500 rebate promotion on GC's in effect until the end of this month.

So off I went to the Massey dealer. All they have remaining in stock is a GC2400 (with 8 hours on the clock). The more I look at it and the more I read about GC's in this forum, the more I like it. The dealer wants $10,900 for the tractor and loader and another $2,600 for the 60" MMM, for a total of $13,500 before taxes and other miscellaneous fees (tire tax, documentation fee). They are offering 72 month financing at 2.99% with $3,000 down, making the payments about $185/month.

This is a big purchase for me, and I have a couple of reservations. My gut tells me the tractor will not be underpowered for my needs, but it would make me feel a lot better if I could get some confirmation from GC owners on this forum. I also think the deal should be better given the promotions, but the salesman will not budge and will not throw in a block heater or a first service. Do I give up negotiating and just pay the man, or should I hold out for a better deal? I pretty much need to make my decision on Monday (Oct. 29) in order to get the deal done in time to take advantage of the promotions. I wish he had more selection, like something with zero hours or a GC2600.

I appreciate any help the members of this forum can provide. Thanks for your help.

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400 #2  
Welcome to TBN, that price seems a little high to me for a tractor MF is no longer making, because the new GC1705 is listed on the MF website as $10,160.00 and that is with zero hours on the tractor, :2cents:. MF does their promotions month to month and they usually roll them over and over and over every month. But there is no way of knowing if they will change next month? If it were me, I would be contacting other MF dealers and then take the best deal, :tractor:. You are the one that has to make these decisions and I know what it is like really wanting a tractor quickly, :drink:. Also I assume you did the math on the zero financing versus the free loader & 2.99% financing, :banghead:. Good luck to you in your search for a tractor, :thumbsup:. KC :D :D :D

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400 #4  
when this promotion is done the next will begin. So don't rush yourself, education is key.

Personally I'd stay with jd or maybe even those junky orange machines ;) ( kubota). That's just me, for resale.

When i bought my first jd, i was seriously looking at the cubcadet tractors. I'm glad i went with jd. Cub is no longer in production.

Will mf still produce scut tractors next year or the year after? Bobcat stopped production for example. If the price is even remotely close go with a name you know will be around. Jd has had small tractors forever, kubota (yuck) was probably the pioneer for scut/cut. This is obviously open to debate. Not everyone drives a ford or gm thankfully.

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400
Thank you for your feedback.

I called two other nearby dealers. One wanted $13,500 for just the tractor and loader, and the other said he would get back to me and never did.

I also tried to get the salesman to move based on the price of a GC1705 as shown on the MF website. If I take that price ($10,160) and subtract the $1,500 rebate and add in the $2,600 for the mower, I come up with $11,260 which is over $2,000 less than what is currently on the table. Out of curiosity, I added the loader to see what it added to the price and it was about $3,400. Yet his quote only discounts $2,500 for the loader. The numbers just don't add up for me. I asked him to explain the difference between the 'build your own' price and his price, and I never got a straight answer.

I'm not in any hurry, and if I was to buy now the thing would probably sit in my garage until spring anyway. I think I'll walk away from this one and keep my eye on future promotions. Unless he flinches...

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400 #6  
Unless he flinches...

Thats Funny!!!:laughing:

If you like the deal, tell him take the FULL fel price off, and he has a deal .Lie to him and tell him the other dealers are taking it all off their price, but you rather buy from him as he's closer. The price difference is probably the dealer invoice cost on the loader.

When I was shopping, I found out that fall was a good time to shop as its a slower time of year for them. I don't know if its true but FWIW. Good luck.

Thats Funny!!!:laughing:

If you like the deal, tell him take the FULL fel price off, and he has a deal .Lie to him and tell him the other dealers are taking it all off their price, but you rather buy from him as he's closer. The price difference is probably the dealer invoice cost on the loader.

When I was shopping, I found out that fall was a good time to shop as its a slower time of year for them. I don't know if its true but FWIW. Good luck.

Take off the full price of the FEL, and throw in the block heater and first service. I think that could make me change my mind.

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400 #8  
Welcome ,I bought mine a month ago and paid $10900 for tractor FEL , tilt shift rear blade ,loaded tires ,delivery 4 hours away and the first service at home free :) .
The little machine has impressed me as I also was skeptical.
It has graded my 600 foot driveway done some landscape ,and yesterday I borrowed a friend`s home made ripper
and dug out about 20 stumps from 6 to 12 inches diameter.If you are going to use the FEL get them to load the tires.

/ About to pull trigger on GC2400 #9  
Don't forget most dealer will let test the machine on your property before you buy. That way you know its the machine for you. Just a thought!

Don't forget most dealer will let test the machine on your property before you buy. That way you know its the machine for you. Just a thought!

He did agree to a demo on my property, but with snow on the ground (already!) I can't try out the mower, and there's not much to play with loader-wise. Plus the end of the month (and end of the promotion) is coming real soon which doesn't leave a lot of time to arrange a demo. The salesman will be attending off-site meetings starting Monday afternoon thru Wednesday.