Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way!

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #1  

jmainel1

Tractor
2012 Massey Ferguson GC1710TLB
So I got a call from my salesman at Abele Tractor last week that the "latest and greatest" replacement for my tractor is finally here! I have a 2006 vin GC2310TLB that I bought in late August so they consider it a 2007. I have lots of goodies to go with it...MF Snowplow/Dozer blade, Cammond Box Blade, Cammond York Rake, TS Post Hole Digger (yet to use), quick hitch and Sears soft side cab I jerry rig for snowplowing. I have been researching the new tractors ever since I bought mine (which I love!). But there were a couple things I felt they could improve on;
1) better location of parking brake lever
2) use a 'big tractor' joystick usually located on right hip
3) hard plumb fittings for backhoe hoses (no safe place to put them)
4) better key/ignition (my key turns then comes right out)

I have been researching this new tractor ever since MF introduced it and after seeing the tractor in person, I did see several nice updates, including the styling. The hood cover and headlight combination is far and away much nicer looking than my 2006. The dealer felt the most important upgrade was a hood latch. It was hard getting the hood up on mine, I can't say it deterred me from checking fluids or cleaning the engine compartment, but he did think it was an issue with owners not properly servicing their machines. I can see his point. They relocated the parking brake where you can easily reach it, and there is a better key/ignition setup. They did redesign the loader joystick (now longer, eliminating the need to stretch for the lever). The cutoff switch for the seat is no longer attached to the seat (on mine the wires got cut when they got caught in the seat spring). They also relocated the hydraulics below the loader joystick tucked between the frame and right loader arm. We'll see if it makes it difficult hooking up those line when I take the loader off and put the Snowplow blade on. The dealer tells me the motor is quieter and this is the last year for a non-emission motor. He tells me the price will be going up considerably for the late 2013/early 2014 models. Even though I didn't see the most important upgrade (Massey Ferguson PLEASE take NOTE!) hard plumb fittings for the backhoe connections would be a GREAT upgrade...I am always concerned the 3 pt hitch will cut them like a knife...they always seem to be in the way, and for almost $20K I shouldn't have to zip tie them! And hopefully they will incorporate relocating the loader joystick like John Deere did on the 1026R.
We sat down for a few minutes and talked numbers, they gave me a great trade in price and we did the deal for $6k. I felt real comfortable with that number so I signed right there. New machine comes this Friday.
I only have 300 hrs on my 2006, but I plan on using the GC1710 almost 300 hours this year alone if I build a new house, so I will have plenty of seat time to test the new machine out...so look forward to a more in depth review in the spring, and some pics shortly! I have a feeling I won't be disappointed, the GC2310TLB served me well.

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #2  
I agree with you on the backhoe hookups. I'm picking up my new GC1710 next week, trading in my 2008 GC2610. I do believe that the hood will be easier to open with the loader mounted. Also, you will not have any problems with the hydro hookups on the front, as I have a "homemade" front blade and it is easy to hookup. I set on a GC1710 last week and worked the loader handle and did not like it as well as my GC2610, but hope I will get use to it.

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #3  
Congrats on the purchase. Keep us informed on how you like it.

EDIT: Don't forget the pics.

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #4  
Congrats on the purchase. Keep us informed on how you like it.

EDIT: Don't forget the pics.

X2 on all counts!! I love the ultra cool 1600 series (and bigger) style hood on them.

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way!
Sorry for the delay guys, but we had some bad weather last week, so I had to put off getting the new tractor. But today I got a call from the dealer and he bought it over in an hour. Out with the old and in with the new! Here are some pics to check out. It's pretty cold today so I didn't drive it all the at much, but the tractor drives better that the old 2006 GC2310. Some quick things;
1) the seat feels firmer, doesn't bounce as much
2) the parking brake lever on the dash, already loving that!
3) I like the bigger control levers, easier to handle
4) The 2 pedal system I will have to get use too...I kept trying to heel the tractor looking for reverse.
5) I don't hear any noticeable engine noise, dealer said it was quiter, not seeing (hearing) that.
6) The steering wheel feels different, beefier and feels more solid.
7) Added steps to get onto the backhoe.
8) I see they changed the stabilizer pads. I kind of like the old style one's when using on the lawn they were flat and did little damage. For more grip, you flip them over and they dig in. It looks like if you flip these it will sink enough to possibly damage the hose connection to the hydraulic cylinder (there is an access hole there)
9) They added covers to the grease fittings that would get filled with dirt
10) The knob on the right side dashboard is for cruise control.

I asked the dealer about the larger bumper/grill guard. At this time they don't make one. He said there was some interference with headlights and probably tilting the hood. I like the old one, it protected the hood a few times from me running into the side of my dump trailer. It sits at just the right height to wreck the headlights. As I play some more I will post with updates. I'll also get some pics of the plow and cab on...in the next couple days.

Attachments

• John M Canon camera as of 12262012 342.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 342.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 1,072
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 344.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 344.JPG
    769.9 KB · Views: 685
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 345.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 345.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 650
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 346.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 346.JPG
    649.9 KB · Views: 634
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 347.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 347.JPG
    745.6 KB · Views: 650
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 348.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 348.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 697
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 349.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 349.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 549
  • John M Canon camera as of 12262012 350.JPG
    John M Canon camera as of 12262012 350.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 679
   / Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #6  
Congratulations, very nice.

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #7  
sweet looking Massy congrats now go get it dirty

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #8  
Aww. Nuttin better than the new smell and pretty red massey color in the morning!!

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #9  
Nice! I still like my 2310, but some of those "improvements" are very attractive....

Was that you whose house I stopped by to look at the cabin you had on your 2310? My 2310 now has about the same, 300+ hours, still works very well, no problems. (Still no cabin:()

Cab- FEL hydr. flap.JPG

/ Upgrade time...new GC1710 on the way! #10  
Aww. Nuttin better than the new smell and pretty red massey color in the morning!!

yes, a brand new Massey with a whiff of diesel in the cold morning air...
beautiful tractor, good luck with it.