Ready to buy 1648 or 1652

/ Ready to buy 1648 or 1652 #11  
I'm at the same point decision-wise. Was looking at the 1643 last fall. After checking out the somewhat larger 1648 decided the step up was the way to go. Quote I got was:

1648HL 4WD Comnpact Tractor-Loader Package with Hydro Transmission, R4 Industrial Tires and Massey Ferguson DL130 Front-End Loader Package with 72" Heavy Duty Skid_Attach Bucker and Grill Guard. With "Cash Discounts" the Package Sale Price is $25,500.

They also were able to find at another dealer the same basic package with the Power Shuttle for $26,750.

Almost bought last fall but targeting March this year to buy now.

Problem w/ the cab for me is that for probably 90% of the time, it would be more of a hindrance than an asset. Manuevering through woods, hopping on and off attaching cables/chains moving rocks, etc. I did look at a Massey with an aftermarket soft cab last year. Yes, pretty cheese compared to the OEM option, but seems like it would give me more flexibility for my purposes.

Keep us posted as to your purchasing progress!

I decided to go with the MF 1648, but did not sign yet as the owner of the store was not there yesterday, only the sales person. And only the owner can decide on how far they can go down in price for me. Tomorrow I will know more. Will be the open station. If I wanted the cab, I would definitely go OEM as well.

/ Ready to buy 1648 or 1652 #12  
If you are doing a lot of heavy engaging work with it, like skidding logs, I suggest the powershuttle over the hst. Not difficult to use at all.

Get them to add a block heater, they are dealer installed.

Good luck.

I'm at the same point decision-wise. Was looking at the 1643 last fall. After checking out the somewhat larger 1648 decided the step up was the way to go. Quote I got was:

1648HL 4WD Comnpact Tractor-Loader Package with Hydro Transmission, R4 Industrial Tires and Massey Ferguson DL130 Front-End Loader Package with 72" Heavy Duty Skid_Attach Bucker and Grill Guard. With "Cash Discounts" the Package Sale Price is $25,500.

They also were able to find at another dealer the same basic package with the Power Shuttle for $26,750.

Almost bought last fall but targeting March this year to buy now.

Problem w/ the cab for me is that for probably 90% of the time, it would be more of a hindrance than an asset. Manuevering through woods, hopping on and off attaching cables/chains moving rocks, etc. I did look at a Massey with an aftermarket soft cab last year. Yes, pretty cheese compared to the OEM option, but seems like it would give me more flexibility for my purposes.

Keep us posted as to your purchasing progress!

Last edited:
   / Ready to buy 1648 or 1652 #13  
If you are doing a lot of heavtpy engaging work with it, like skidding logs, I suggest the powershuttle over the hst. Not difficult to use at all.

Get them to add a block heater, they are dealer installed.

Good luck.

Right-- I had told them I wanted the powershuttle but as they had the hydro in stock, they gave me that price as well. Seems like pretty good pricing compared to some others I've seen. Hope I don't live to regret not buying back then when I had the chance!

/ Ready to buy 1648 or 1652
Wow, yumbee, you got some really good quotes on hand. I contacted three additional dealerships around here, and all came in very close to my original quote. Just notified my dealer to order the following:

MF 1648 open platform
12x12 powershuttle
engine block heater
1 rear remote (we were contemplating where we would be using 2 and could not think of any yet)
DL130 front end loader complete with 72" bucket

28400 cash

I guess I just ordered my tractor!

/ Ready to buy 1648 or 1652 #15  
Wow, yumbee, you got some really good quotes on hand. I contacted three additional dealerships around here, and all came in very close to my original quote. Just notified my dealer to order the following:

MF 1648 open platform
12x12 powershuttle
engine block heater
1 rear remote (we were contemplating where we would be using 2 and could not think of any yet)

28400 cash

Congratulations. I am sure you will have lots of fun with it.

/ Ready to buy 1648 or 1652 #16  
Assuming a dealer doesn't have exactly what you want in stock, it seems the price quotes would depend in large part on what kind of deal then can make with fellow dealers within range. Probably some get along with each other better than others. :)

What kind of a wait are you looking at?

MF 1648 open platform
12x12 powershuttle
engine block heater

28400 cash

Earliest I can expect delivery is end of March. I hope to get it on time to be ready for first mowing tasks! I am excited! And I think you may be right, price depends on how much willing dealers are working together. However my tractor will be ordered directly from MF.

Little exciting update: It was ordered this morning from MF!!! :)

/ Ready to buy 1648 or 1652 #19  
Little exciting update: It was ordered this morning from MF!!! :)

Let the waiting begin... :thumbsup:

Around the March timeframe is when I'd like to get mine as well. Your situation has reminded me that there's no way to know whether local dealers will be able to come up with something in stock, so I need to start the purchasing ball rolling now or else March will come and go and I'll still be tractorless.

Unless your dealer has one or can get one from another dealer, you really have to get started. Two dealers told me this independent from each other. And yes I second another member's opinion here: Get the 12x12 PowerShuttle and not the HST! Will leave you with a little more PTO power, and it is definitely more fun!! I testdrove both versions and the HST just reminded me of my lawn mower; not very satisfying... I guess I grew up on a farm, hehe!