Buying Advice 1526HL

/ 1526HL #1  

scott67

Tractor
Massey 1529
I've been looking at tractors since last spring. I've narrowed down my choices a bit, but still not completely sure on the brand/model.

I need to rotary cut 3 to 6 acres, and I quite like the size (and price) of the 1526.

Will also be needing a tiller and preparing lots of land for bushes and trees. Last year, I got somebody local to do about 600 ft of tilling for me, but will be doing my own from now on.

I think the 1526 is being offered with a $3500 rebate and that really puts it into an attractive price. A price that compares to some of the smaller tractors.

The one feature of the 1500 series (I think) that seems interesting, is the fact the hydro pedals control the engine speed. Not sure if that is a useful feature or not in the real world or not? I watched a dealership video and the feature seemed interesting, but maybe not useful?

I'm also interesting in the GC1700 and not ruling out the 2600.

Will have to get more serious once March comes along.

/ 1526HL #2  
I've been looking at tractors since last spring. I've narrowed down my choices a bit, but still not completely sure on the brand/model.

I need to rotary cut 3 to 6 acres, and I quite like the size (and price) of the 1526.

Will also be needing a tiller and preparing lots of land for bushes and trees. Last year, I got somebody local to do about 600 ft of tilling for me, but will be doing my own from now on.

I think the 1526 is being offered with a $3500 rebate and that really puts it into an attractive price. A price that compares to some of the smaller tractors.

The one feature of the 1500 series (I think) that seems interesting, is the fact the hydro pedals control the engine speed. Not sure if that is a useful feature or not in the real world or not? I watched a dealership video and the feature seemed interesting, but maybe not useful?

I'm also interesting in the GC1700 and not ruling out the 2600.

Will have to get more serious once March comes along.

I have a 1526 and love it. I have three acres and my daughter next to me has three. Of course dad helps her all of the time. I have a 60" finish mower and it does a great job with it. You use the hand throttle for that. The hydro foot throttle is nice for when using the loader. It also has a three speeds where the 1700 only has two. ( I think)

/ 1526HL
Thanks for the reply. I actually notice some of your posts today, and was going to send you a message.

The more I look, the more I think about the 3 speed hydro. If I didn't have it, probably not the end of the world, but would be nice.

I know you use a finishing mower, but I'm guessing the tractor would have no problem with a 4ft rotary mower, even with really long grass weeds (no twigs or branches)?

It seems for the price, I get the most tractor from the 1526. I could maybe get close with a Kioti. Anything else in the size price, (Mahindra or LS) and the dealer is too far away.

I guess I

/ 1526HL #4  
Thanks for the reply. I actually notice some of your posts today, and was going to send you a message.

The more I look, the more I think about the 3 speed hydro. If I didn't have it, probably not the end of the world, but would be nice.

I know you use a finishing mower, but I'm guessing the tractor would have no problem with a 4ft rotary mower, even with really long grass weeds (no twigs or branches)?

It seems for the price, I get the most tractor from the 1526. I could maybe get close with a Kioti. Anything else in the size price, (Mahindra or LS) and the dealer is too far away.

I guess I

I don't think you would have any problem with a 4 foot rotary but my tractor is 53 inches width on the back tires. I had a 4 foot finish mower and didn't like the way it overlapped I sold the mower and bought the 5 footer. I would think a rotary mower would be more expensive to but I don't know. I drove 186 miles one way to get my Massey and the Mahindra dealer was only 15 miles from my house. Kioti dealer is only 5. I just like a Massey that much!!

/ 1526HL
I only have to worry about the Massey dealership being 15 miles from the land and 8 miles from my house. My most stable, going to be there dealerships are JD and Massey and I guess New Holland. I think the New Hollands are LS now. Kubota or Kioti could change dealerships at anytime I'm guessing.

The land I'm maintaining has been a crop field and or pasture for 90+ years. I wouldn't say its rough, but not too smooth. I've walked 2+ hours on part of it, behind a Billy Goat mower, so a tractor will be a nice change.

That's a good point about the wider tractor and the 48" cutting width. The other tractors I've looked at have been narrower.

The Massey dealership has one 2012 1526 sitting there right now. It's covered in snow at the moment. Trying to find out if they'll get more in stock or if that is it.

/ 1526HL #6  
I only have to worry about the Massey dealership being 15 miles from the land and 8 miles from my house. My most stable, going to be there dealerships are JD and Massey and I guess New Holland. I think the New Hollands are LS now. Kubota or Kioti could change dealerships at anytime I'm guessing.

The land I'm maintaining has been a crop field and or pasture for 90+ years. I wouldn't say its rough, but not too smooth. I've walked 2+ hours on part of it, behind a Billy Goat mower, so a tractor will be a nice change.

That's a good point about the wider tractor and the 48" cutting width. The other tractors I've looked at have been narrower.

The Massey dealership has one 2012 1526 sitting there right now. It's covered in snow at the moment. Trying to find out if they'll get more in stock or if that is it.

So are you talking about a rotary mower or bush hog type mower? My finish mower is a bush hog brand 60 inch. It has three blades and they are pretty thick. I have mowed some stuff that was pretty thick and had to mow it high the first round and mow it a second time. But if you are going to start maintaining it more often it would be easier the next go around. I guess I was thinking of a flail mower.

/ 1526HL
So are you talking about a rotary mower or bush hog type mower? My finish mower is a bush hog brand 60 inch. It has three blades and they are pretty thick. I have mowed some stuff that was pretty thick and had to mow it high the first round and mow it a second time. But if you are going to start maintaining it more often it would be easier the next go around. I guess I was thinking of a flail mower.

Sorry, I'm talking bush hog type mower like... Massey-Ferguson RC48 Rotary Mowers | VAHRENBERG IMPLEMENT INC. HIGGINSVILLE, MO #DV10020

I'd prefer the job a rotary mower would do, and I probably could use one if I kept the grass/weeds under control. Last year (first year we had the land) weeds/grass 5ft high. So this year I'll just be cutting it on a regular basis so that doesn't happen. I figure I'll use a regular mower for a smaller area in a year or two.

I just thinking about flail mowers and started reading the posts about them on here. I like the job they do. I have no rocks or trees to worry about.

/ 1526HL #8  
Sorry, I'm talking bush hog type mower like... Massey-Ferguson RC48 Rotary Mowers | VAHRENBERG IMPLEMENT INC. HIGGINSVILLE, MO #DV10020

I'd prefer the job a rotary mower would do, and I probably could use one if I kept the grass/weeds under control. Last year (first year we had the land) weeds/grass 5ft high. So this year I'll just be cutting it on a regular basis so that doesn't happen. I figure I'll use a regular mower for a smaller area in a year or two.

I just thinking about flail mowers and started reading the posts about them on here. I like the job they do. I have no rocks or trees to worry about.

I had a 48" mower like that on a 1215 tractor. It was only 17 hp and it did a good job. The only problem was the tractor was small and if I tried to lift the mower when going uphill it wanted to lift the front of the tractor off the ground. I always mowed with the loader off as you can get around better. I do the same with this tractor now but it is heavy enough that it does not lift the front off the ground

I'm sure the 1526 would do great with that mower. I think you could even use a 5 foot mower.

/ 1526HL
Thanks Radrock for all your advice.

I do have a chance to drive out and look at an almost brand new 1526. Loader and wheel weights for under 16grand Canadian - 150hrs. I can get a new one for 16 as well, but I have to figure $18000+ with setup/taxes and no wheel weights. Last year, these were selling for 19,000

I'd have to think that tractor and its size with wheel weights should be doing okay when it comes off-setting the loader. Someone nearby here is selling concrete 3pt attachment. Basically a concrete block with 3 pt hookups imbedded in it. Sort of interesting - haven't checked the price.

I have no real place to keep the tractor at the moment, but if the 1526 is something I'm considering, I'd be silly not to buy this one or at least look at it. Have to find time to make the trip.