Buying Advice GC1700 series position control

/ GC1700 series position control #11  
You know, I just don't know what to think anymore. To be honest SDT, what your saying sounds plausible and reasonable. The Mahindra guy I talked to didn't know what I meant when I asked if the Max 25 had position Control. Many have verified that the Mahindra does have PC, but there is some discussion if this is simply a matter of the clamps that help in setting the height at the same exact spot each time you cycle the 3pt, or if it's what you just said. I can tell you that after the posts above, I spoke with 4 dealers of different brands on a recent information gathering mission, and they all said that if a 3pt hitch is "Drifting" than there is something wrong with the 3pt hitch, and all of them should stay where you put them. But I am finding out that being a dealer is nota a qualifier for always giving out precise information. I don't know if these guys are just oversimplifying things for the customer, of if they genuinely don't know. I guess maybe a better question might be, how fast is the "Drift" on a non PC 3 point? In conversations with different dealers, they never mentioned a problem with having to constantly fiddle with the height on the tiller for instance. They did say however that you can adjust the depth the tiller cuts in with the 3pt, which logically leads one to believe that if drift is occurring, that it is not something that happens quickly. At least fast enough to where it would be a problem when tilling a small garden. If position control is as you describe it, and it may well be, I find myself wondering how important it is overall on a SCUT sized tractor anyhow. Besides the tiller, I can't think of any operations where Drift would be an issue anyhow.

Just as an FYI, the John Deere 1026R has position control.

I use a tiller as well as a rotary cutter on my BX2660 and every once in a while I will have to bump the rotary cutter back up as it won't maintain a constant height, it has become automatic just like bumping up the box scraper when using it as ballast.

Some owners will use chains to keep the rotary cutter at a constant height, I had an old thread on this saved on another computer. For many this is not a big deal as they continue to sell them this way.

/ GC1700 series position control #12  
The GC series does not have position control. Put it all the way down, then raise it up to where you want it. But it will not hold that position for long, it will drop some.

With tillers, this generally doesn't matter as most only till to a depth of 5 to 7 inches anyway. Where it matters is with a box blade or back blade where a precise grading level is needed. The only work around for this to be quick, but easy on the controls.

/ GC1700 series position control #13  
The GC series does not have position control. Put it all the way down, then raise it up to where you want it. But it will not hold that position for long, it will drop some.

With tillers, this generally doesn't matter as most only till to a depth of 5 to 7 inches anyway. Where it matters is with a box blade or back blade where a precise grading level is needed. The only work around for this to be quick, but easy on the controls.

Don,

Can you explain to me why you think the GC does not have position control?
In fact, would anyone that participated in this thread like to comment again on why they think the GC1700 does not have PC?

Please post here. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/273232-debating-position-control-what-you.html

/ GC1700 series position control #14  
You know, I just don't know what to think anymore. To be honest SDT, what your saying sounds plausible and reasonable. The Mahindra guy I talked to didn't know what I meant when I asked if the Max 25 had position Control. Many have verified that the Mahindra does have PC, but there is some discussion if this is simply a matter of the clamps that help in setting the height at the same exact spot each time you cycle the 3pt, or if it's what you just said. I can tell you that after the posts above, I spoke with 4 dealers of different brands on a recent information gathering mission, and they all said that if a 3pt hitch is "Drifting" than there is something wrong with the 3pt hitch, and all of them should stay where you put them. But I am finding out that being a dealer is nota a qualifier for always giving out precise information. I don't know if these guys are just oversimplifying things for the customer, of if they genuinely don't know. I guess maybe a better question might be, how fast is the "Drift" on a non PC 3 point? In conversations with different dealers, they never mentioned a problem with having to constantly fiddle with the height on the tiller for instance. They did say however that you can adjust the depth the tiller cuts in with the 3pt, which logically leads one to believe that if drift is occurring, that it is not something that happens quickly. At least fast enough to where it would be a problem when tilling a small garden. If position control is as you describe it, and it may well be, I find myself wondering how important it is overall on a SCUT sized tractor anyhow. Besides the tiller, I can't think of any operations where Drift would be an issue anyhow.

I am not familiar with Mahindra so cannot comment thereabout but I have seen no SCUTs made in the last decade or so that do have position control.

Position control is just about essential when using a rear blade for snow removal unless the pavement is in very good condition and you wish to allow the blade to contact the surface at all times..

In my case I use position control for snow removal with a rear blade and occassionally to control tracking of my gage wheel equipped MMM when working in extreemly wet turf.

Dean

Many lawn a a garden dealers do not know what position control is and cannot intelligently answer such questions.

/ GC1700 series position control #15  
For tilling with a rototiller it would be better to adjust the height of the skidshoes. For boxblading position control is more important. This would be the case with most implements that don't have their own means of ride height or depth control.