syncroshuttle question

/ syncroshuttle question #1  

debp

Tractor
Kubota L3400
We are hours away from a Massey Ferguson dealer, but quite attracted by the good value that the 1526 and 1529 seem to offer. We could have a 1529 package (trailer, brushhog) shipped to us for the same price as just an equivalent Kubota with loader only. My question is what is a synchroshuttle like to operate? The 1526 would come with HST, but the more affordable version of the 1529 has the synchroshuttle. Is this pretty much like the gear drive version of the Kubotas (I've tried out the L3200)?

debp

/ syncroshuttle question #2  
Quote from the Massey 1500-1600 series brochure.

Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides
you with eight forward speeds and
eight reverse. Plus easy shifting
between forward and reverse with a
dash-mounted lever – using the clutch,
but not coming to a full stop. Good,
solid performance at a value price

/ syncroshuttle question
Thanks. I've found some other places the shuttle shifts are discussed and think I understand the basics now.

debp

/ syncroshuttle question #4  
Be sure to check the clutch to see how hard it is to operate. I used a synchro shuttle for 12 years and while technically easy to use, my leg was worn out by the end of the day. I much prefer our present hydraulic shuttle shift and HST.

I would recommend spending as much time as possible on one as possible before buying as what seems "not so bad" during a twenty minute test drive can really wear on you after a few hours.

/ syncroshuttle question #5  
Be sure to check the clutch to see how hard it is to operate. I used a synchro shuttle for 12 years and while technically easy to use, my leg was worn out by the end of the day. I much prefer our present hydraulic shuttle shift and HST.

I would recommend spending as much time as possible on one as possible before buying as what seems "not so bad" during a twenty minute test drive can really wear on you after a few hours.
Not sure why you're leg would be wore out. But I suppose it depends on your use - and don't doubt your leg was.
For loader work, work where there is a lot of forward (into the pile), back, transport, dump, back - the syncroshuttle excels. No clutching at all. I pick my gear and stay in it - no clutching. I don't have to use the accelerator either with the throttle lever.
Basically, it is a syncronized geared tractor - without the annoying hydro whine, and no transmission power loss like a hydro.
I love mine - and I have the 12x12.

To your original question about being "like the gear" - yes and no. As I showed - it's geared - but you don't need to use the clutch - just the forward reverse selector to change direction. But it is a geared tractor.

Oh, and there is a neutral spot - so you can leave it in gear - go forward, stop in neutral, and reverse - all while being "in gear"

/ syncroshuttle question #6  
Not sure why you're leg would be wore out. But I suppose it depends on your use - and don't doubt your leg was.
For loader work, work where there is a lot of forward (into the pile), back, transport, dump, back - the syncroshuttle excels. No clutching at all. I pick my gear and stay in it - no clutching. I don't have to use the accelerator either with the throttle lever.
Basically, it is a syncronized geared tractor - without the annoying hydro whine, and no transmission power loss like a hydro.
I love mine - and I have the 12x12.

To your original question about being "like the gear" - yes and no. As I showed - it's geared - but you don't need to use the clutch - just the forward reverse selector to change direction. But it is a geared tractor.

Oh, and there is a neutral spot - so you can leave it in gear - go forward, stop in neutral, and reverse - all while being "in gear"

Your synchro shuttle must be different than the one we had on our Case CX80 and my brother's Kioti as every time you want to change directions you must depress the foot clutch. On the hydraulic shuttle shift on our M8540, you don't need to use the foot clutch.

My leg and that of my sons were worn out from constant clutching going back and forth during FEL operation or constant direction changes needed on some of our pond levies and slopes.

/ syncroshuttle question #7  
I just traded my gear ck20s, and while it never, ever bothered me, in fact, I really liked it. That said, I had to be a magician doing loader work or mowing when switching between forward/reverse, changing high/low range, clutching, steering all the while using loader/boxblade/mower. You get the idea.

All this said, I'm so, so happy with my new hst, and personally, I'd never go back to a gear tractor.

Note that I've never driven a hyd or any synchro tractor, but would doubt that it would change my preference.

/ syncroshuttle question #8  
Your synchro shuttle must be different than the one we had on our Case CX80 and my brother's Kioti as every time you want to change directions you must depress the foot clutch. On the hydraulic shuttle shift on our M8540, you don't need to use the foot clutch.

My leg and that of my sons were worn out from constant clutching going back and forth during FEL operation or constant direction changes needed on some of our pond levies and slopes.

I don't doubt it one bit - my leg would tire too. Nope, the MF Syncro changes direction without using the clutch. Forward, neutral, reverser - the only time I clutch is when I - out of habit - use the clutch :laughing: That's what I get for driving a stick car!

Here is what is in the brochure for the 1500 series: "Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides you with eight forward speeds and eight reverse. Plus easy shifting between forward and reverse with a dash-mounted lever using the clutch, but not coming to a full stop."

Huh, re-reading that - it says use the clutch. Now I gotta think.... that never goes well.

I would recommend driving on and trying it. I did first - and once I was satisfied, made my choice. Beats giving up the additional 1-2hp for the hst as well as the annoying whine I tried on the Kubota.:dance1:

/ syncroshuttle question #9  
I don't doubt it one bit - my leg would tire too. Nope, the MF Syncro changes direction without using the clutch. Forward, neutral, reverser - the only time I clutch is when I - out of habit - use the clutch :laughing: That's what I get for driving a stick car!

Here is what is in the brochure for the 1500 series: "Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides you with eight forward speeds and eight reverse. Plus easy shifting between forward and reverse with a dash-mounted lever using the clutch, but not coming to a full stop."

Huh, re-reading that - it says use the clutch. Now I gotta think.... that never goes well.

I would recommend driving on and trying it. I did first - and once I was satisfied, made my choice. Beats giving up the additional 1-2hp for the hst as well as the annoying whine I tried on the Kubota.:dance1:

Well, I personally would never change directions on a Synchronized Shuttle Shift Tractor without using the clutch as recommended by the manual, but if it works for you. My brother just bought a new Kioti with Synchronized Shuttle Shift and doesn't mind clutching, but after twelve years of doing it on our Case, I have had enough. I could have lived with it, but it went toes up thus I had to buy new, so I went with the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift on the M8540.

I also have an L5740 with HST+ and really like it; don't mind the HST whine myself for the trade off. Note my manual says to change ranges, stop and depress the clutch and I stop, but don't use the clutch so...

I guess the bottom line is we are both happy with what we have and that's all that counts.:thumbsup:

/ syncroshuttle question #10  

I think your mixed up on the trans. the 1500 series is a Sychro which you do need to clutch. You list your as a 1635 with a 12 X 12 which is a power shuttle, it clutches for you.

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library/upload/massey-ferguson-1500-1600-series-brochure.pdf
PowerShuttle
Get the power and efficiency of a gear
transmission and the easy directional
changes of a hydrostatic. The PowerShuttle
lets you shuttle from forward to reverse
– and back again – with a convenient lefthand
lever that leaves both hands on the
steering wheel. Changing the direction
of travel is as simple as slowing the engine
and moving the lever in the desired
direction of travel, so it’s perfect for
loader work. Choose from 12 forward
and 12 reverse speeds – including five
speeds below 1 mph – so you always
have the right ground speed
for any task, even ones
that call for slow,
constant speeds.

The SynchroShuttle is an 8 speed and you do need to clutch.
SynchroShuttle
Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides
you with eight forward speeds and
eight reverse. Plus easy shifting
between forward and reverse with a
dash-mounted lever – using the clutch,
but not coming to a full stop.
Good,
solid performance at a value price.