Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    28
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400

    Default syncroshuttle question

    We are hours away from a Massey Ferguson dealer, but quite attracted by the good value that the 1526 and 1529 seem to offer. We could have a 1529 package (trailer, brushhog) shipped to us for the same price as just an equivalent kubota with loader only. My question is what is a synchroshuttle like to operate? The 1526 would come with HST, but the more affordable version of the 1529 has the synchroshuttle. Is this pretty much like the gear drive version of the Kubotas (I've tried out the L3200)?

    debp

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,088
    Location
    ONTARIO
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Quote from the Massey 1500-1600 series brochure.

    Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides
    you with eight forward speeds and
    eight reverse. Plus easy shifting
    between forward and reverse with a
    dash-mounted lever – using the clutch,
    but not coming to a full stop. Good,
    solid performance at a value price

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    28
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Thanks. I've found some other places the shuttle shifts are discussed and think I understand the basics now.

    debp

  4. #4
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,300
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Be sure to check the clutch to see how hard it is to operate. I used a synchro shuttle for 12 years and while technically easy to use, my leg was worn out by the end of the day. I much prefer our present hydraulic shuttle shift and HST.

    I would recommend spending as much time as possible on one as possible before buying as what seems "not so bad" during a twenty minute test drive can really wear on you after a few hours.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member Blitzn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    83
    Location
    Saint Clair, MI
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1635 12x12 Shuttle, Exmark Pioneer 48, and toys

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Be sure to check the clutch to see how hard it is to operate. I used a synchro shuttle for 12 years and while technically easy to use, my leg was worn out by the end of the day. I much prefer our present hydraulic shuttle shift and HST.

    I would recommend spending as much time as possible on one as possible before buying as what seems "not so bad" during a twenty minute test drive can really wear on you after a few hours.
    Not sure why you're leg would be wore out. But I suppose it depends on your use - and don't doubt your leg was.
    For loader work, work where there is a lot of forward (into the pile), back, transport, dump, back - the syncroshuttle excels. No clutching at all. I pick my gear and stay in it - no clutching. I don't have to use the accelerator either with the throttle lever.
    Basically, it is a syncronized geared tractor - without the annoying hydro whine, and no transmission power loss like a hydro.
    I love mine - and I have the 12x12.

    To your original question about being "like the gear" - yes and no. As I showed - it's geared - but you don't need to use the clutch - just the forward reverse selector to change direction. But it is a geared tractor.

    Oh, and there is a neutral spot - so you can leave it in gear - go forward, stop in neutral, and reverse - all while being "in gear"
    Tractors are red, crops are green.

    The 2nd Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security

  6. #6
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,300
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzn View Post
    Not sure why you're leg would be wore out. But I suppose it depends on your use - and don't doubt your leg was.
    For loader work, work where there is a lot of forward (into the pile), back, transport, dump, back - the syncroshuttle excels. No clutching at all. I pick my gear and stay in it - no clutching. I don't have to use the accelerator either with the throttle lever.
    Basically, it is a syncronized geared tractor - without the annoying hydro whine, and no transmission power loss like a hydro.
    I love mine - and I have the 12x12.

    To your original question about being "like the gear" - yes and no. As I showed - it's geared - but you don't need to use the clutch - just the forward reverse selector to change direction. But it is a geared tractor.

    Oh, and there is a neutral spot - so you can leave it in gear - go forward, stop in neutral, and reverse - all while being "in gear"
    Your synchro shuttle must be different than the one we had on our Case CX80 and my brother's Kioti as every time you want to change directions you must depress the foot clutch. On the hydraulic shuttle shift on our M8540, you don't need to use the foot clutch.

    My leg and that of my sons were worn out from constant clutching going back and forth during FEL operation or constant direction changes needed on some of our pond levies and slopes.

  7. #7
    Silver Member gkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    123
    Location
    Shepherdstown
    Tractor
    Bocat CT335 HST Cab

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    I just traded my gear ck20s, and while it never, ever bothered me, in fact, I really liked it. That said, I had to be a magician doing loader work or mowing when switching between forward/reverse, changing high/low range, clutching, steering all the while using loader/boxblade/mower. You get the idea.

    All this said, I'm so, so happy with my new hst, and personally, I'd never go back to a gear tractor.

    Note that I've never driven a hyd or any synchro tractor, but would doubt that it would change my preference.
    Bobcat CT335 Hydro Cab w/ BobTach FEL, 72" Box Blade, 72" finish mower, 3pt spreader, 1000 lb. roller, tow-along 30 gal. sprayer

  8. #8
    Bronze Member Blitzn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    83
    Location
    Saint Clair, MI
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1635 12x12 Shuttle, Exmark Pioneer 48, and toys

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Your synchro shuttle must be different than the one we had on our Case CX80 and my brother's Kioti as every time you want to change directions you must depress the foot clutch. On the hydraulic shuttle shift on our M8540, you don't need to use the foot clutch.

    My leg and that of my sons were worn out from constant clutching going back and forth during FEL operation or constant direction changes needed on some of our pond levies and slopes.
    I don't doubt it one bit - my leg would tire too. Nope, the MF Syncro changes direction without using the clutch. Forward, neutral, reverser - the only time I clutch is when I - out of habit - use the clutch That's what I get for driving a stick car!

    Here is what is in the brochure for the 1500 series: "Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides you with eight forward speeds and eight reverse. Plus easy shifting between forward and reverse with a dash-mounted lever using the clutch, but not coming to a full stop."

    Huh, re-reading that - it says use the clutch. Now I gotta think.... that never goes well.

    I would recommend driving on and trying it. I did first - and once I was satisfied, made my choice. Beats giving up the additional 1-2hp for the hst as well as the annoying whine I tried on the kubota.
    Tractors are red, crops are green.

    The 2nd Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security

  9. #9
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,300
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzn View Post
    I don't doubt it one bit - my leg would tire too. Nope, the MF Syncro changes direction without using the clutch. Forward, neutral, reverser - the only time I clutch is when I - out of habit - use the clutch That's what I get for driving a stick car!

    Here is what is in the brochure for the 1500 series: "Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides you with eight forward speeds and eight reverse. Plus easy shifting between forward and reverse with a dash-mounted lever using the clutch, but not coming to a full stop."

    Huh, re-reading that - it says use the clutch. Now I gotta think.... that never goes well.

    I would recommend driving on and trying it. I did first - and once I was satisfied, made my choice. Beats giving up the additional 1-2hp for the hst as well as the annoying whine I tried on the kubota.
    Well, I personally would never change directions on a Synchronized Shuttle Shift Tractor without using the clutch as recommended by the manual, but if it works for you. My brother just bought a new Kioti with Synchronized Shuttle Shift and doesn't mind clutching, but after twelve years of doing it on our Case, I have had enough. I could have lived with it, but it went toes up thus I had to buy new, so I went with the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift on the M8540.

    I also have an L5740 with HST+ and really like it; don't mind the HST whine myself for the trade off. Note my manual says to change ranges, stop and depress the clutch and I stop, but don't use the clutch so...

    I guess the bottom line is we are both happy with what we have and that's all that counts.

  10. #10
    Elite Member JasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Location
    CNY
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240

    Default Re: syncroshuttle question

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzn View Post
    I don't doubt it one bit - my leg would tire too. Nope, the MF Syncro changes direction without using the clutch. Forward, neutral, reverser - the only time I clutch is when I - out of habit - use the clutch That's what I get for driving a stick car!

    Here is what is in the brochure for the 1500 series: "Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides you with eight forward speeds and eight reverse. Plus easy shifting between forward and reverse with a dash-mounted lever using the clutch, but not coming to a full stop."

    Huh, re-reading that - it says use the clutch. Now I gotta think.... that never goes well.

    I would recommend driving on and trying it. I did first - and once I was satisfied, made my choice. Beats giving up the additional 1-2hp for the hst as well as the annoying whine I tried on the kubota.
    I think your mixed up on the trans. the 1500 series is a Sychro which you do need to clutch. You list your as a 1635 with a 12 X 12 which is a power shuttle, it clutches for you.


    http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-brochure.pdf
    PowerShuttle
    Get the power and efficiency of a gear
    transmission and the easy directional
    changes of a hydrostatic. The PowerShuttle
    lets you shuttle from forward to reverse
    – and back again – with a convenient lefthand
    lever that leaves both hands on the
    steering wheel. Changing the direction
    of travel is as simple as slowing the engine
    and moving the lever in the desired
    direction of travel, so it’s perfect for
    loader work. Choose from 12 forward
    and 12 reverse speeds – including five
    speeds below 1 mph – so you always
    have the right ground speed
    for any task, even ones
    that call for slow,
    constant speeds.
    The SynchroShuttle is an 8 speed and you do need to clutch.
    SynchroShuttle
    Our 8 x 8 SynchroShuttle provides
    you with eight forward speeds and
    eight reverse. Plus easy shifting
    between forward and reverse with a
    dash-mounted lever – using the clutch,
    but not coming to a full stop.
    Good,
    solid performance at a value price.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."


    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  2. Front Differential question / Engine belt question
    By nvip9r in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 09:20 PM
  3. Paint question and pto question for a 1972 massey 135
    By botakix in forum Massey Ferguson Classic/Vintage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM
  4. 7500 question bad sound and tiller question
    By fatkid829 in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 07:07 AM
  5. Oil & Fuel Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question
    By LabLuvR in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.