Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: cab or platform ??

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    I've read a lot of the threads on here about Cab vs Non Cab. There are many, many people who work in the woods that have gone from an open station tractor to a cab, and most everyone says they will never go back to not having a cab.

There are certainly some exceptions, I do remember reading about some people who went from cab to non cab, but those are very few and far between and typically there is a specific reason, such as can't fit the cab tractor in the barn/garage whereas you can fold down the ROPS and fit.

If I get a cab tractor, I won't be able to fit it in the garage, but I'm not too worried about that.
    I went out to one of our farms yesterday and took the long way around. I drove by millions of dollars worth of tractors sitting out in the weather. I know many if not most of us like to keep ours covered, but I sure wouldn't let the lack of a shed keep me from getting what I wanted either.

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

I vote cab from the get go ... factory in fact nothing aftermarket. The aftermarkets are nice, affordable But nothing like a factory cab. Glass is expensive ... but then again in todays world everything is expensive.
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Factory cabs with working A/C are great.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF 4608 and MF GC2610 TLB

Thanks 4 your comments guys, but I'm not leaning towards one or the other just yet!

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Get the factory cab, the aftermarket one do not compare.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post
    Get the factory cab, the aftermarket one do not compare.
    Factory cab is the only way to go. If you tried to put the same type (not necessarily same quality) cab on aftermarket it would cost you $9000 in cab plus installation cost for what the OEM would run about $5000. If you think you need and want a cab, go OEM and forget adding one later.
    My brother in law and I both have cabbed tractors (NH 2310 and LS P7010) and haven't found the woods to affect the usage of the cab. We trimmed up all the trees in the pasture to allow passage under them. I did the same thing in my yard for my lawnmower for all the trees, but that still leave the bushes to mow around. I hate mowing around limbs brushing in my face. Cabs are not that delicate to start with and can take some pretty good limb racks without damage, maybe a scratch or two but no breakage. Much better to have a small limb brush against the cab and maybe knock back the fold-away mirrors than rack you across the face and body.
    Some people may enjoy the deep scratches in the face from working around tree limbs, but I am not in that camp. Trim or remove is my policy and use the cab for weather protection and personal protection from dust, cold, heat, limbs, falling objects etc. A couple months ago I was clearing the outside of a fence line and suddenly a rather large green pine tree limb crashed down on top of my cab from one of the trees. I don't now what dislodged it, possibly I ran into a vine that pulled it out of the tree. No damage to me or the cab, but I certainly would have had some damage to me if I didn't have the cab or some other FOPS system like my B26 TLB has. So they are not just for comfort but also personal protection as well.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    My theory on tree thinning is if an eight foot wide tractor can't get between two trees without touching the canopy one of them belongs in the wood pile. ]
    My theory is similar, trees to close to drive a tractor between them are too close to grow and develop properly anyway and need to be thinned by selectively removing the runts from the litter.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

I've had both, in fact, I've had the same tractor as an open station as well as cabbed tractor, using it for about 6 with each set up. I have had one 3rd party cab, one cab made by the tractor manufacturer but aftermarket installed and one factory cab.

My advice is this. Either get a factory cab or get a soft sided cab that can be removed in the summer. Aftermarket cabs are nice, but very loud inside and don't have A/C. Keeping the wind and blowing snow off of you is all you really need for the winter and jumping on an off is much easier on an open station. I love my factory cab and a cab in the winter is the only way to go, but a full hard sided permanent aftermarket cab is a lot of money for what you get.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF 4608 and MF GC2610 TLB

Thanks a lot everyone !
    Always good to here other persons experience.
    Keeping my MF 1455 for now...saving $$ for a MF 1660 with factory cab in a few years.

I mostly use a 1547 cab to cut, clear and skid trees out in the woods. In my set up I need to get on and off the tractor a lot to either chain logs, cut down trees, etc....... For clearing trees (and for using a post hole digger) I really would prefer it if I had no cab. It becomes a burden to have to constantly climb in and out of the cab. However, when plowing snow or using a rotary cutter a cab is really enjoyable. If I had to chose again I would probably go for a ROPS tractor - and I can use the money saved to by other things - like deisel fuel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12