Ordered a 5609 today

/ Ordered a 5609 today #11  
   / Ordered a 5609 today #12  
Congrats on the purchase! It must be hard waiting on a new cab tractor, but I'm sure completely worth it :thumbsup:

Can you explain the Dyna 4 transmission to me?

/ Ordered a 5609 today #13  
Congrats!! The 941 Loader should have the ALO Euro attach, comes standard on them.

/ Ordered a 5609 today
Congrats!! The 941 Loader should have the ALO Euro attach, comes standard on them.

I am having that swapped out for a skid-steer quick attach because I already have a few of those attachments around the farm.

Last edited:
   / Ordered a 5609 today
Congrats on the purchase! It must be hard waiting on a new cab tractor, but I'm sure completely worth it :thumbsup:

Can you explain the Dyna 4 transmission to me?

I doubt I can do a very good job of it... The transmission provides 16fx16r speeds. It combines a four-speed fully synchromesh range gearbox, with a powershuttle unit, and four speed Dynashift, to providing a completely clutchless operation. In other words, you don't need to use the clutch to change gears, nor use the clutch or stop to change ranges.

The transmission does more than that though. You can change ranges and gears with a right hand T-handle. Push it forward and back to go up and down a gear or push a button on the left part of the T-handle and the go forward or back to change ranges. You can also change gears with the shuttle shifter on the left hand side of the steering column. Additionally, you can change direction with a button on the FEL joystick. You also have brake to neutral - under 6 mph, if you press both brake pedals at once, the tractor will shift to neutral and come to a stop. Press the gas pedal, and you will start moving again.

One of the downsides is that there is no 'park.' If you stop the tractor to get off of it, you will need to set the parking brake or it will roll away. Also, always, always double and triple check the tractor is in neutral if you have someone in the tractor and another outside helping hook up an implement or something. Having the shuttle shift on the left of the steering column helps make this easier.

There are also some other things you can do with the transmission using autodrive. In the 'hare' mode, you can drive the tractor like a car. Press the gas pedal and the tractor will upshift or downshift as needed - just like an automatic car. In the 'tortoise (field)' mode, it picks the gear to help maintain the correct speed, revolutions you need. You can also program what gear and what range you want the tractor to start from when you first crank up the tractor. I believe you can also set the rpm too and change how quick/harsh the shuttle shift changes direction.

I also think you can set up some different profiles for different operations or operators. Plus, you can do headland management stuff, set up the PTO to engage/disengage when the 3 pt hitch is raised above or lowered below a certain height. It is the most sophisticated tractor I've seen in this horsepower range in the US.All kinds of stuff to go wrong. :laughing:

/ Ordered a 5609 today #17  
That sounds absolutely amazing! Thanks for the explanation and yes, you did a good job explaining.

I'm not familiar with Massey's lineup, so just for reference, what equivalent size tractor would this be similar to in the Kubota or Deere lineup? Is it larger than say, a Kubota 9540 or Deere 5m series?

What is the smallest sized tractor they offer the Dyna 4 transmission in? I'm sure it's too good to be true to offer it in a small utility/large CUT.

/ Ordered a 5609 today
In Europe, they offer it in a 5608. In North America, its the 5609 (70 PTO/90 HP) as the smallest tractor.

Size wise, its hard to compare it directly to the other manufacturer's line-up. Physically, its bigger then the JD 5M but smaller then the JD 6D series. The size of the tractor is dictated by the size of the Dyna-4 transmission.

The other manufacturers do not have anything like it in the utility range. In Europe, there are several manufacturers with nifty little tractors like the Massey. The most sophisticated tractors I've ever seen are the Fendts. Those things are the Mercedes Benz of the tractor world. But none of the smaller one are imported here. Nobody would by them because they are expensive.

The closest you could get to the Dyna-4 in a smaller tractor would be a large hydrostatic machine.

/ Ordered a 5609 today #19  
It's too bad no one offers this style transmission in a smaller tractor, it really does sound like the best of both worlds. I love my HST for loader work, but I would enjoy something like this a whole lot more. I'd pay a premium to have a transmission like this, even if it was just an option.

Congrats on the new tractor, can't wait to see some pics!

/ Ordered a 5609 today #20  
Actually MF does ofer the Dyna in a smaller tractor, my 1660 I just bought last month has one in it. I got the chance to put a few hours on it while home, love it so far.

Stable 14C.jpg