Massey 4609 reviews or opinions?

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #1  

CaptHowdy

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 4610 Workmaster 55 Kubota SVL95
I thought I had my choices narrowed down to Kubota and New Holland and then I looked at the Massey again. The Massey seems pretty nicely built and everything seems solid. I didn't like the cab as much as the other brands I mentioned but I can save a few thousand by going with it. Also does anyone have any opinion on the quicke loaders? I can save some money going with one of those instead of the Massey branded one. So does anyone own on or have anything good or bad to say? There isn't as much info out there on these as the others (at least that I could find). Thanks in advance.

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #2  
Not that it helps but I am in the same delima, looking at a cab/loader 4608. Like you the interior of the cab isn't plush but its still a nice tractor. An airide seet base can be added for about $600 (which I plan on doing). I love my Masseys but looked at every major brand. I really like the JDs but the price was about 3-5K higher plus no RH door which is nearly a deal killer for me. I have a similar loader on my 1540 (obviously smaller) but really like it especially the quick attatch levers. Head and shoulders above the rest IMO. FWIW yesterday Massey came out with $4500 off the 4600 series so that may help you out.

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions?
Not that it helps but I am in the same delima, looking at a cab/loader 4608. Like you the interior of the cab isn't plush but its still a nice tractor. An airide seet base can be added for about $600 (which I plan on doing). I love my Masseys but looked at every major brand. I really like the JDs but the price was about 3-5K higher plus no RH door which is nearly a deal killer for me. I have a similar loader on my 1540 (obviously smaller) but really like it especially the quick attatch levers. Head and shoulders above the rest IMO. FWIW yesterday Massey came out with $4500 off the 4600 series so that may help you out.

Here the JD 5085 is 10k more than a 4609. There is no way in the world to justify that. No way. I'll be honest, if the cab was a little bigger and nicer I would buy the MF hands down right now, for the money you can get one. But I just can't figure out if I want to sacrifice on the cab for more tractor. Boy that sounds spoiled but it is what it is lol. It looks to me (remember I'm new to this, first tractor for me) like the MF is the best bargain out there in this size and hp. I just would like to find more reviews and info on them.

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #4  
One thing to consider is the cost for Exhaust Emission System Maintenance. Massey Ferguson has No scheduled maintenance for the Emission System. This is a question all consumers need to ask...some systems require replacing Diesel Exhaust Filters that can be very, very, expensive. Other systems required Diesel Exhaust Fluid or using Diesel Fluid with a Re-Generation Catalyst to clean the exhaust system which adds additional costs to your initial investment.

One thing we are excited about with the 4600 Series is the simplicity of the Emission System on the new AGCO 33AWIC Engine you have High Pressure Common Rail Fuel Injection with EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) that require no scheduled maintenance. A DOC uses a precious metal lined element to clean exhaust similar to a Catalytic Convertor in a Car.

Most salesmen are not going to tell you these added costs but a customer needs to know. It may effect their buying decision and cost of ownership. As a dealer I feel the customer needs to know and understand total cost of ownership. Good, bad or otherwise.

We have sold several 4610s and 4608s and out customers are really liking them for features for the dollar. Got any questions let me know.

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #5  
I too have been looking at the 4600 series literature lately. I very much like the six speed snychronized transmission (Kubota has this as well on the 9040/9960). It seems that I continually find myself needing to shift between low range fourth gear and high range first gear with any 8X2 tractor that I have owned. This, of course defeats the purpose of the synchronized transmission. As an aside, does anyone make a 60 - 80 PTO HP utility tractor with power shift anymore (other than the 9960 Kubota)?

My dealer has no 4600 series tractors in stock and neither the brochure nor the website specs minimum overall width or tire size offerings, both of which are very important to me. I also need minimum turning radius, or steering angle, as maneuverability is very important for my purposes.

SDT

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #6  
Here is tires on the 4609.

2WD Tires
72530262M R: 16.9-30 R1 F: 9.5L-15
72530263M R: 16.9-30 R1 F: 7.50-18
72530264M R: 18.4-30 R1 F: 10.00-16
72530265M R: 16.9-34 R1 F: 10.00-16
4WD Tires
72530247M R: 16.9-30 R1 F: 11.2-24
72530248M R: 16.9-34 R1 F: 12.4-24
72530255M R: 18.4-30 R1 F: 12.4-24
72530249M R: 19.5L-24 R4 F: 12.5/80-18

We have sold 9 of the 4600 Series. 3 - 4608s and 6 - 4610. Check the price difference between the 4609 and 4610 not a lot of difference and most of our customers are stepping up to the 4610 for the little additional cost but increased HP.

I'm out of them right now and don't have access to operators manual but the turning radius is very good for a utility tractor due to the Bevel Gear Design.

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #7  
I own a MF 4610 for about 8 months now. I bought it from a JD dealer with 96hours on it. In some ways it has been a great tractor, but it is not perfect.
Here is a list of pros and cons from about 150 hours of use, mainly with loader work or round baling:

PROS
* Controls and levers positioned very nicely

* Hydraulics are fast, especially on the loader

* Tractor is about right for hp to weight ratio

* No emissions maintenance

* Cooling system is more than adequate to keep the engine cool in hot weather under full load

* Heater works very well

*Nice progression of speed thru all the gears.

*Frame, chassis, 3 point, built heavy and strong.

CONS
* 3 cylinder engine has an awful lot of vibration and is noisy. Depending on load (if you lug the engine down some), and at just the right rpms, everything in the whole cab vibrates to such an extent that I have spent hours searching for ways to tighten things and to find ways to minimize noise, to no avail.

* Cab is very noisy, see above

* Air conditioning is weak, cannot keep up in normal conditions

* Engine has very low power until it is fully warmed up. I think this is controlled on purpose by the engine computer.

* Engine is made in China. While Agco bought Sisu in Finland, and Sisu designed this engine and it bears the Sisu name - Agco built a new factory in China just to build these engines for the 4600 series. So the tractor is made by Iseki in Japan, but the engine is made in China with the Sisu name

* Really dislike the transmission. Granted, I put thousands of hours on tractors with hydro transmissions, and my last one was an advanced 6 speed hydro (so I am biased) - this transmission is NOT user friendly. 1. It is VERY hard to shift. When speeding up or down I can almost never get it into 4th on the first try. 5th is better, 6th always feels like it only goes in halfway, and I have had it pop out. 2. The power shuttle is a great idea but is not smooth. Especially if you do anything with the clutch. If you are in an open space and just shuttle it isn't bad. But if you ease into a spot, press the clutch, shuttle the lever, and then let the clutch out - there is a delay where nothing happens and then it engages from 0% to 100% in an instant, causing violent jerks. 3. The clutch has no sweet spot. It is all electronic and although it moves quite a distance, it goes from 0% to 100% in about 1/2" travel. Also, if you try to feather it all the tractor makes you deaf with an ear splitting warning beep and it says you are riding the clutch pedal. You almost cannot back up to a piece of equipment without it doing this to you. 4. All of the problems with the transmission described above are worse in cold weather.

* Rear hydraulics - 1.They do not have float function on the levers. Dealer said it wasn't available when I bought mine, but is now. 2.The rear couplers are not push/pull connect. They have no break away either. If your implement unhooks you will damage something. You also CANNOT disconnect or connect anything under even a slight pressure. Having no float on the levers makes it worse. You must stop tractor and jiggle lever to depressurize so you can unhook.

* Front headlight shrouds are cheap plastic and fell off. Warranty replaced them but dealer made me pay shipping. New ones they sent are somewhat improved design. Still cheap plastic.

* Fuel tank is WAY too small. 24 gallons on a 90 horse tractor? get real. I can kill the tank in about 8 or 9 hours with my round baler in normal load conditions. There are actually two tanks with one fill point and the connector between is small. That means you fill real slow and wait for fuel to siphon to other tank and then top it off again, repeat about 6 times to get tank full.

* Too many error codes. Engine has given me a number of different error codes, mainly with fuel system. Had dealer here with computers to try to resolve. Fiddled around half a day to diagnose. Had to pay next day air charges on a part from Agco in the middle of hay season. Got problems resolved that time but ever since tractor has noticeably less torque. Plus warranty paid for only 30 minutes of the service guy's time, and no travel charges. (my dealer is not real close.) Now just today it threw another error code about fuel system, different one this time. Still unresolved.

* Starts hard in cold weather. The tractor has no block heater and no glow plugs. It has a lame air intake heater which is mostly worthless. If it gets below 20 degrees F you will have some trouble getting it running. It has always started but sometimes took multiple attempts.

So there you have it. That's where I'm at. I don't know how all of this compares to JD, Kubota, or NH. I think the others may not be any better if you compare $$ and hp. Kubota is known to have undersized cooling systems and their engines always overheat (personal experience), NH is known to have poor ground speeds and poor control layouts, JD also is known to have some issues, especially in the E series, and is usually more $$.
Would I buy Massey again, probably, but I will never buy a 3 cylinder this size again. There is just no way a 3 cylinder can run as quiet and smooth as a 4, 5, or 6. My choice would be the 5600 series with the 4 cylinder Sisu actually made in Finland with the Dyna 4 transmission. Totally European tractor, not Japan and China. Way better cab. If you can afford it, definitely step up...
PA farmer

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #8  
Custom Farmer, thanks for that review. I almost bought a new 4608 last month and I think I'm glad I didn't.

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #9  
I have a 4608 .
140 hours on it...very strong FEL and hydraulics lift capacities fro skidding and winching trees.
Mine is open station for working in the woods.
I have the block heater on, easy to start in the cold when plugged, but it does take a while to warm up.
No issues with my transmission, even though it pretty tight
One thing I would change is the seat...I found it a little low for me (I'm 6.2')
I am very satisfied with it and strongly recommend it !

/ Massey 4609 reviews or opinions? #10  
Custom Farmer,

Is the 3 pot SISU in the 4610 the same as the 3 pot in the 5600 series?

I'm asking because my experience with the 5609 3 cylinder does not mirror yours at all - aside from being a little anemic when cold. I've found the 3 cylinder SISU to be extremely quiet (much quieter than the JD 5425). It is also extremely smooth and I've never has an issue with it cranking while cold.

I think there may be some underlying issues with your tractor that may be related to the fueling issues.