Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #1  

tmiller

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n Massey Ferguson 255 Massey Ferguson 265 NEW!!! Mccormick CX75
Looking for a good tractor to mow my grass with either a rear pto finish mower or a mid mount. A must for me is that it will handle at least 72" (6') finish mower. I currently use a 8N with the 6' finish mower but im tired of issues always coming up with it. I will not be putting a loader on it, just the mower. I already have a 75 horse farm tractor for my loader tractor and that i do everything around the farm with, im just simply looking for a grass cutting tractor. Not sure what HP i would need and also not sure about these tractors, wanted to hear from people that have had them for awhile. Ive narrowed it down between LS and massey ferguson. Any info anyone can give me would be great about the size i should get, HP and how you like yours would be great!
Thanks
Taylor

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #3  
Have you considered a zero turn mower?

My thoughts exactly! If it is a dedicated mowing machine, and you are sure that is all you will ever use it for, then I think your money would be better spent on a ZTR instead of a compact tractor.

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #4  
Get a rear finish mower, and either a 1635 powershuttle, or the new 1700 equivalent.

Once you have the second smaller tractor, you will have other work for it.

Ever consider a cab?

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #5  
If you have only true finish mowing jobs for this tractor, your land is relatively flat, and you have no other significant jobs to use with the 8N replacement, buy a ZTR.

Otherwise, post back.

SDT

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with
Im sure I would find other things to do with it besides mow, and i like the idea of a tractor more than a zero turn. never really looked at them tho, can you get a 6ft deck on a zero turn?

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #7  
Im sure I would find other things to do with it besides mow, and i like the idea of a tractor more than a zero turn. never really looked at them tho, can you get a 6ft deck on a zero turn?
You can get a 6ft deck, or larger, on a front deck mower. If you have a large area to mow, it is the best way to do it. If it is hilly, get a four wheel drive.
P5250004.JPG P5250008.JPG P5250011.JPG P5250014.JPG

Check this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-lawn-garden/278809-kubota-f-series.html

72 front deck mower | eBay

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #8  
Get a zero turn mower. You can mow circles around a tractor with a finishing mower.

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #9  
Get a zero turn mower. You can mow circles around a tractor with a finishing mower.

And that is all you can do. Just too much money for limited use.

Get the tractor, higher return on investment since it is a 12 month machine.

/ Looking at a Compact tractor to mow with #10  
My decision would be made if I where in your shoes is sell the small ford tractor and start shopping for a commercial grade ZTR. The commercial grade cost considerably more but dependability goes way up the bar with them. Most pro cutter are sixty inch. You can. Go wider but then again so goes the price. A six footer would still be less than a newer mini tractor with a mid mount. I also would think that fuel usage would be less due to the fact the work could be done in quite a bit less time. It also depends how much lawn or pasture your cutting to justify the cost. I cut 4.5 acres every week with a 54" ZTR hoping one day to upgrade to a 60"+ deck. Mine is a commerical grade mower and it's worked well for the last twelve years.