adding canopy

/ adding canopy #1  

MAN IN BLACK

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2610 tlb,mmm
Hey there,
I'm thinking about adding a canopy to my new MF 4608.
Are they worth it or just a waste of money :confused: Plastic or metal ?
Comments, good or bad welcome. :thumbsup:
Black

/ adding canopy #2  
Dear Black, I got a John Deere Shade Canopy with my new 1025R SCUT. It is metal, very heavy, 100 pounds plus, insulated on the underside. A person needs a chain lift or rope and a handy tree limb to get it off and on, 1.5 man job. However, it makes a BIG difference in comfort when mowing our fields under the Texas summer sun!

Tarzane

/ adding canopy #3  
Hey there,
I'm thinking about adding a canopy to my new MF 4608.
Are they worth it or just a waste of money :confused: Plastic or metal ?
Comments, good or bad welcome. :thumbsup:
Black

I can not even imagine what it must be like to operate any machine out in the direct sun. We have some sort of shade on every single tractor we own. Metal and fiberglass seem to hold up pretty good. The plastic units seem to get brittle in a year or two. Even canvas is much better than nothing. :thumbsup:

/ adding canopy #4  
Mowed without and with. Will not mow without any more.

/ adding canopy #5  
Westendorf has a Cool Cap that is heavier fiberglass canopy that is designed to reflect light rays and keep it cooler under the canopy. Might take a look at that canopy and they have a Quick Attach System too to make it easy to install and remove.

/ adding canopy #6  
I bought a used golf cart canopy off of CraigsList for $40 and used some scrap angle iron I had to mount it to my ROPS. The MF ROPS had bolt holes in all the right places. I have hit it on a few good size branches and it has held up well. It was in service for several years before I got it so it looks rough, but my tractor entire tractor looks rough.... It is still plenty strong and flexible. Well worth the time and money.

*EDIT* Sorry.... Didn't realize this thread was over 5 months old....

MFCanopy.jpg

/ adding canopy #7  
Say, I wonder something. I just got a new 1736 open station with the folding ROPS. Due to parking situation I put mine down most of the time. Does yours still fold back and does it get in the way of anything back there? I like the idea of a golf cart. They are all over the place and always falling apart and being replaced like anything else.

/ adding canopy #8  
Say, I wonder something. I just got a new 1736 open station with the folding ROPS. Due to parking situation I put mine down most of the time. Does yours still fold back and does it get in the way of anything back there? I like the idea of a golf cart. They are all over the place and always falling apart and being replaced like anything else.

My ROPS never folded and my barn door is large enough to pull the tractor in without issue. But if it did fold I think I could have welded in some stops that would allow it to fold back and not contact anything. But the top I have is so long it would most likely be as tall as the ROPS.

photo.JPG

/ adding canopy #9  
Mine folds backwards 90 degrees. If you sit on the backhoe it looks like a chest high bar guard on a kiddy ride. How long and wide is that cap? Im a lot better welder than golfer. I just never could get my head around following a little white ball around with a club. Probably wouldn't be any trouble at all to fab up a bolt on frame that's semi QD. Main concern is how high it sticks up when the ROPS is folded down . Looking at your pix it seems like it might stick up as high folded as the damned ROPS when it's up. Probably need to hook up some sort of pin on design. We don't have the sun problem you do up here, not by a long shot. What sucks is the drizzling rain that goes on forever. A cab would have been nice but I crawl around in the bushes plenty and $7K was just too much.