Buying Advice Massey Ferguson 3545

/ Massey Ferguson 3545 #1  

drlgmachine

Tractor
None
Hello out there! Can anyone give me some high points and low points on a MF 3545? I am considering buying one with around 2800hrs. Are these dependable machines? I didnt want to invest in something that I'm going to have to immediately start working on, I would like to use it first. What about that electric 3 pt? Is it somenthing that can do a good job? What about the shiting and tranny? I am used to a stick right on top of the gearcase not offset like this one. How about the 4 wheel drive any failures on it. More or less I guess I'm needing some reassurance. I've been a massey fan for a long time just haven't owned one, only Kubota. What about parts also are they hard to find? The guy told me that the machine was ready for use. I trust him but I dont know him. Anyway any kind of info would be greatly appreciated. I am also considering a MF 699 anykind of info on these? Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 3545 #2  
Both are very good , 3545 can rust in door frames and fenders , Hyd system can suffer with air juddering if clutch or brake cyl are bad , Keep transmission linkage greased . Elec 3 point works well but like any brand they all give trouble occasionally ..it's 30 year old wiring .

699 will also suffer cab rust , steering wheel is a an awkward position for some , Trans is very nice synchro but 3 sticks are not to everyones taste . I find MF very good for parts these days.

/ Massey Ferguson 3545
Thanks for the response I think both have been re-painted with that epoxy paint so maybe I won't have to worry about rust. My most concern was mechanical but thanks for the info on the hyd system though, might come in handy one day. If you can think of anything else to look out for please feel free to share. Thanks and have a good evening

/ Massey Ferguson 3545 #4  
I have owned and operated lots of 2000,3000 and 600 series MF's and have a soft spot for both . Generally I find MF shunned through some design features rather than mechanical faults like the 3545 with whole cab doors and the centre foot throttle and that very mechanical console gearshift .

Don't expect the 3545 to be a responsive snappy engine but always dyno above the rated and a lot of low down grunt and torque .....can be lazy starters in cold climates . If you start looking at the more modern shaped 3000 series like 3080 , 3645 etc ( which I think is still the best cab ever made) avoid the 32 speed , I'm sure some will surely disagree but after a lifetime around these red devils they were trouble ..the 16 speed and dynashift were much better

/ Massey Ferguson 3545
That's funny i just looked at a 3070 just before these 2. Somebody abused it. Didnt have but 1195 hrs on it but looked liked it went down the wrong side of town. The salesman even told me it was abused. I had my fingers on a 3120T but the wife told me I was dreaming too big. That tractor was loaded with a westendorf loader on it. Kick myself in the rear for not jumping on it. I sure do appreciate your response like I said if you had something else to share let me know.

/ Massey Ferguson 3545 #7  
I had a 3120 dynashift for many years and I think it is one of the best tractors I've had . If I was going for an older 150hp it would without any doubt be a Ford TW25 , I have never found anything more reliable than the TW's

/ Massey Ferguson 3545 #8  
I still have a 3505 now :)

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,107
   / Massey Ferguson 3545
I still have a 3505 now :)

Looks good! I think I will go with the 3545. Just like the looks of those older tractors vs. newer ones. I need to find a loader for it. You have any suggestions?

/ Massey Ferguson 3545 #10  
Did you buy it , let me know if you have any issues , I've had 20 odd years with these old girls !