Buying Advice 1758 Review

/ 1758 Review #1  

onceacop

Silver Member
Tractor
D17 series III, 1758 Massey Ferguson
Have very little time in tractor but enough to say a few things. I have mostly skid steer time with loaders and the tractors were loader less for field work and slipping through the woods in tight quarters. I have owned M farmalls, a 560 and 454 IH, Bobcat CT445, 2615 Massey, D17 AC, Case 55a and a Massey Harris 101.

First impression with running the 1758 is that I will need to change my ways with loader use. A tracked skid steer in the 60 HP range has short loader arms is like a little dozer. I moved snow today after a stint of temps down to -40F. The drifts are hard and banks harder. I see some flex and movement in the 135 loader and realize one needs to treat it carefully. I will never loan this machine out ever. The skid steer I had on occasion borrowed to family and close friends, that always worked out fine. But they are a much more robust piece of equipment for those hammer fisted operators or folks untrained in machinery.

The loader and hydraulics appear fast on the 1758 and there is less whine in the HST trans then what I expected. Engine is smooth and at 2500 rpm it is not obnoxious loud, cab is well insulated. I ran it hard but was satisfied the most around 2100-2300.

Heater worked awesome and kept glass fog free, I put it away tonight with temps around 11F. Garaged it and plugged it in. A word on the engine and the fuel advice I got from the dealer. This tractor froze up yesterday and required a warm service bay overnight to get it running again. Shipped tractors have #2 and possible biodiesel. I was told to run #1 even at temps flirting with 30-35F. Also told to be careful running additives. They frowned on 911. Clean filters, clean fuel, and #1 right away in the fall.

3rd loader function works ok. Button is pushed and then joystick directed left or right to move implement while holding the button. Miss the Catapillar joysticks already. I was worried I didn't have a float but was happy to learn the detent all the way forward on joystick puts loader in float. I ran the snowblade tonight this way, not sure if that is the way to do it or not.

Speakers not great but I have a radio and I am amused to listen to the partial homeland security shut down bulshit. Fire all the politicians and hire some realists.

Partial likes so far:
Great traction even in 2 wheel drive
smooth and quiet
8 hours on tach and the regen soot leve shows one bar is all
HST foot pedals easy and spaced nice
great lighting and heat climate system
pwr steering strong
3rd ldr function worked as I hoped
tractor appears to be the highest quality unit I have owned (fit and finish and lack of corrosion on fittings etc)

Dislikes so far:
HST range lever finicky to shift. Sometimes I tap the pedals and jiggle the range lever to get neutral
It appears when I am in 4WD the range doesn't want to go to neutral, will play with that some more
There is some play in the tilt steering wheel. not much but at high speed on bumps it can rattle and make noise.
Three point lift lever has some play in it, that too rattles against the cab molding.
No 4 wheel drive indicator light when engaged
visibility isn't want I am used to (skid steer guy) so hooking into quik tach plate not as easy
release levers for quik tach closer than I would like to my 3rd function remotes on boom

I will get some hours on this and report again but overall I am happy I went with the HST. Moving snow was so much easier going front and back and having the precision to slow or stop. I had wanted to give out info on the 135 loader specs but my manual is for the 130 loader so I will chase that down from the dealer. Will post more on the regeneration process when it occurs and try to maybe video some of that happening. Comfortable with Massey having this figured out and the 5 year warranty helps alleviate some concerns about that. Cheers and thanks for the help and advice I got from this website and members.

Movies click on image

Last edited:
   / 1758 Review #3  
Although it looks like the OEM's diverter valve, the speed of your third function may be related to the fluid getting restricted by the port size in the diverter valve housing itself. Nothing in the class can match the MF1700 series 11.6 gpm to the remotes flow which means to replace the diverter valve for an open center third function, you'd want to use a D5 open sub plate and D5 open center electric over hydraulic valve (with ports P and T open to tank and ports A and B blocked) as well as the increased costs custom making hoses from the power beyond port on the loader valve body to the P port on the sub plate, a hose from the T port to the three point or rear remotes (however Massey does it) as well as custom hoses on the A and B ports going forward to the loader.

In other words, you can live with the 3rd function you've got, right?

No matter what, you have the best looking tractor in the class!

BTW, what aircraft is hiding in the hanger?

Last edited:
   / 1758 Review #4  
Congrats on finally getting her home and using her.

I was at my MF/Kioti dealer today and BS'ing with the owner ... He said he actually likes the new loaders from Alo-Quicke, and says they have always been "premium loaders" so maybe they will be a hit after all.

She looks good! I'm jealous. I'd love that extra HP.

Regarding visibility, I've often heard skid steer users comment that a tractor offers superior visibility. Do you just mean that the "right in front of you" viewing was better on the SS, or overall?

/ 1758 Review
Thanks guys,,,
Vis..I was referring to the actual hooking up to a implement. The skid steer was close like almost in your lap. The loader is farther out and depending on the attachment you lose a little precision at least for me. I have one attachment that has always been troublesome. Eric,,,,, Super Cub in hangar

/ 1758 Review #6  
Thanks guys,,,
Vis..I was referring to the actual hooking up to a implement. The skid steer was close like almost in your lap. The loader is farther out and depending on the attachment you lose a little precision at least for me. I have one attachment that has always been troublesome. Eric,,,,, Super Cub in hangar

Wow, I'd love to get a super cub someday but my flying ambitions are likely going to be limited to getting a powered paraglide license out of that flying school in Alexandria, MN.

/ 1758 Review
MORE:

Another hour on machine. Tach now shows 11.8 total, some of which was dealer time.

HST trans in high range ok for empty roading on the flat. I did not see the top mph in range and tire size according to the manual which is about 20.3... What I did see is maybe 18 with a handheld Garmin GPS unit to determine speed.

I cannot figure out how to convert KM speed on gauge cluster to MPH, no mention of it in manual

Backed up on a grade, maybe 10% in high range with packed snow. Tractor could not pull itself in forward or reverse. My tires are loaded. So medium range is going to be the go to speed for power and most chores.

Still only one bar on the soot level gauge, manual says regen happens at 5-6..

At slow speeds the tractor has a shudder. I assume it's the aggressive tires and possibly the factor of loaded tires; especially with R1's. I have not experienced this before and had other R1equipped tractors. Best way I can describe it is when I apply foot pressure to the HST pedal as the tractor starts to move there is a subtle hopping or shudder in the tractor. I can see and feel it and as I go faster it goes away. Anyone that has operated a 2 cyl JD like a A, B, 730, etc.... those tractors did this at idle because of the pistons, Johnny Pop... That is the sensation I have.

Linkage in the range lever getting better, I still need to apply a tap either forward or reverse pedal and pull the lever at same time. It usually goes right into neutral.

Lighting is really nice, drove it last night. Superb lumens for a CUT

/ 1758 Review #8  
I'm wondering if it just needs breaking in, because I can plow snow in H range, including slight grades, and obviously I'm running less HP than you.

Is the shuddering just on pavement? I notice it on pavement, but not on ground, dirt, gravel, etc.

/ 1758 Review #9  
To a skidsteer guy, H range is for light use. Most of your work will be M range and/or L range.

I understand your frustration about visibility. You'll get used to it.

Great report. It's important to post thoughts early on, before human nature kicks in, and you simply accept everything as it is. Great report!!!

As for the Tier IV soot level stuff. Don't worry about it. If you are running the machine with load and at high rpm you may go 40-50 hrs before regen. If/when the regen occurs, try to operate the machine at high rpm and with load if possible during that process. That will minimize time in that situation and get a better "clean".

Did I mention great report?? :D