Comparison Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1

/ Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1 #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,
I am now considering the Massey GC 1715 sub compact vs. a Kubota Bx 2670-1 (both new product) .

My question is . . . how does anyone find out about the GC1700 series actual features and benefits? Every important thing I learned came from 1 youtube item or reading TBN posters and 1 test ride I did . . Not from 2 dealerships info . . not reviews or company literature or website.

1. What implements and attachments are available for the Massey GC1715 beyond fel, mmm, and a front blade?

2. Iseki engines . . how do they compare to yanmar and kubota engines?

3. I've listed below some things I discovered by deep digging . . what else or where else do I find info?

I like:
a. Dual hydraulic pumps . . Good thing
b. 54 and 60 inch decks
c. Comfortable driver layout /viewability.
d. Can run lower rpm
e. Cast iron thru out not cast iron/cast aluminum
f. Flow forward engine cooling just like kubota (good thing)
g. Driver's deck floor is open and easy laid out.
h. fully tier 4 and easy engine compartment access.
I. Differential lock.

What can others add . . I found nothing else. To be a competitor to Kubota it has to have some implements, quick hitch and quick attach abilities, etc. etc.. does it have any of those things?

Hope everyone has lots of input because reviewers, dealers, and brochure & company websites haven't. And it seems like a very nice unit to consider.

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1 #2  
Greetings,
At the very last second of product decision making . . I relooked at the Massey GC1700 series brochure I had relegated to the "not in consideration" category. Why the relook?

Well certainly the brochure or Massey website didn't cause it. But rather some undisclosed simililarities to my planned 2 choices. And now I've read what I can find and had a test drive too.

My question is . . . how in the world does anyone find out about the GC1700 series real features. Every important thing I learned came from 1 youtube item or reading TBN posters . . Not 2 dealerships . . not reviews or company literature.

1. What implements and attachments are available for it beyond fel, mmm, and a front blade?

2. Iseki engines . . how do they compare to yanmar and kubota?

3. I've listed below some things I discovered by deep digging . . what else or where else do I find info?

a. Dual hydraulic pumps . . Good thing
b. 54 and 60 inch decks
c. Comfortable driver layout and viewability.
d. Can run lower rpm
e. Cast iron thru out not cast iron/cast aluminum
f. Flow forward engine cooling just like kubota and some yanmar
g. Driver's deck floor is clean open and easy laid out.
h. Its fully tier 4 yet easy engine compartment access.
I. Differential lock.

What can others add . . I found nothing else. To be a competitor to Kubota it has to have implements, quick hitch and quick attach abilities, etc. etc.. does it have those things?

Hope everyone has lots of input because reviewers, dealers, and brochure & company websites haven't. And it seems like a very nice unit to consider.

Thanks.

1) Virtually any quick attach implement can be used if you add SSQA (skid steer quick attach) plates to the loader. You will need to go aftermarket or have a shop make them. They will pin onto your loader ends, but then quickly connect to any SSQA front implement.

2) Iseki builds the whole machine. Iseki is a large Japanese company that has been in business for nearly a century. AGCO, who owns Massey (and many, many other companies) contracts with Iseki to build many of their tractors to their specs. You will find very few complaints regarding Iseki built Massey's, including the engines, which are top notch. The Iseki TXG series (not sold in US) is the Massey GC equivalent.

3) nothing wrong with your observations ... The Massey is a good tractor. It offers more hydraulic flow and faster hydraulic response. No reason to NOT choose one, unless you like something else better. Pretty much all of the modern tractors are good now, so go with whichever one you personally like, and which one has a dealer you can work with if needed.

Good luck.

/ Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1
1) Virtually any quick attach implement can be used if you add SSQA (skid steer quick attach) plates to the loader. You will need to go aftermarket or have a shop make them. They will pin onto your loader ends, but then quickly connect to any SSQA front implement.

Good luck.

I guess what I'm surprised to find is that Massey doesn't seem to have any implements. Dealer was looking up on his listing . . Didn't find a front snowblower or broom . . Just a front blade. So no mid pto mount option ???

And the loader bucket does not appear quick mount oriented either.

Certainly in other parts of the country people are buying the GC1700 series . . but both dealers in this area seem like they just started having them . . but both dealers are large.

Thanks for any input posters have to offer.

/ Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1 #4  
I guess what I'm surprised to find is that Massey doesn't seem to have any implements. Dealer was looking up on his listing . . Didn't find a front snowblower or broom . . Just a front blade. So no mid pto mount option ???

And the loader bucket does not appear quick mount oriented either.

Certainly in other parts of the country people are buying the GC1700 series . . but both dealers in this area seem like they just started having them . . but both dealers are large.

Thanks for any input posters have to offer.

Accessories and aftermarket support is still relatively new for those small SCUT sized machines... Massey does offer a mid mount mower so there is a mid PTO present, and likely should also be offering a front mount blower. if you want more options available for the loader, get yourself an aftermarket set of SSQA plates and you will have unlimited options for upgrades.

/ Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1 #5  
The definitely do have front mount blowers and brooms. Massey's website could use some improvement. You need to look at their implements page. Click on each type of attachment you are interested in, and there will be a table giving you compatibility information. Would be nice if you could just search or select a particular tractor model, and get a complete list of compatible equipment...

/ Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1 #6  
These are the two models I'm considering as well.

After a lot of research it seems to me that the MF is a little more on specs (lower rpm's, two dumping cylinders, more hydro flow, etc).

But my sense is that what you get with the BX is the DNA of Kubota and its subtle engineering priorities, which can often only be understood after lengthy experience with a machine.

Not that MF is a slouch when it comes to engineering or design - just that they're going to be different operating experiences and Kubota has the most celebrated track record in the world of SCUTs, so that is something to respect.

The problem is that a prospective buyer doesn't have time to spend on each machine in different situations to appraise them fully. And so we're left with competing specs (which often aren't the most important thing) and marketing by the companies to guide us.

So .... if there is anyone out there who has seat time on these two models - or any two evenly matched MF's and Kubota's - please - share your wisdom!!

/ Massey GC1715 vs. Kubota BX2670-1 #7  
These are the two models I'm considering as well.

After a lot of research it seems to me that the MF is a little more on specs (lower rpm's, two dumping cylinders, more hydro flow, etc).

But my sense is that what you get with the BX is the DNA of Kubota and its subtle engineering priorities, which can often only be understood after lengthy experience with a machine.

Not that MF is a slouch when it comes to engineering or design - just that they're going to be different operating experiences and Kubota has the most celebrated track record in the world of SCUTs, so that is something to respect.

The problem is that a prospective buyer doesn't have time to spend on each machine in different situations to appraise them fully. And so we're left with competing specs (which often aren't the most important thing) and marketing by the companies to guide us.

So .... if there is anyone out there who has seat time on these two models - or any two evenly matched MF's and Kubota's - please - share your wisdom!!

I have owned Kioti, LS, and now Massey. My close friend has had a Kubota in the same size as my Kioti (Kioti ck20 vs Kubota B2920), and a Kubota in the same class as my LS & Massey (my LS xr4041/47, & Massey 1648 vs his L3540)...this is our experience:

We both put about 250 hrs on our small tractors. My Kioti had the steering shaft assembly replaced due to a blown seal at 50 hrs, and a loader o-ring leak a bit later on. He had two issues with his loader in that time, I believe a leaking cylinder, and something with the valve.

Then in the last two years, I put 200 hrs on the LS machines with absolutely zero problems, well except for a blown headlight fuse twice, which I then discovered that the fuse was underrated so a higher rated fuse fixed that... And I have put 420+ hrs on the Massey and it has been absolutely flawless.

In the same time he's put about 300 hrs on his L3540 ... Had a loader issue early on, then a blown loader hose, and then had to have the tractor literally split in half for a small part that broke on the internal hydraulic pump.

Now, I'm not saying that to speak negatively about Kubota. Every tractor can have problems and they do build good machines. But, I don't think they are the "gold standard" that some people claim. It can't be just coincidence that he's had two brand new big-Orange tractors in the last couple years and each has had issues. I liken Kubota to Chevy (or GM in general) ... Just because they sell more cars doesn't mean they have better quality (which GM obviously doesn't) than other companies that they outsell.

In my personal experience, for reliability I'd rate the Massey #1, the LS #2, and the Kubota & Kioti tied for third.

That's my personal experience ... May not be everyone else's. But, I certainly don't buy into Kubota being any "better" for overall reliability than the other tractors you may look at...especially when you consider their trumped up pricing. Now market saturation and dealer exposure? Absolutely. Kubota wins that. And again, I'm not saying they are bad tractors ... But my Massey has been a champ.

I believe tractor equipment has to be evaluated by sizing category . . not name. 8 or 9 years ago I saw Kubota already commanded the sub compact market. But if you looked in bigger product market categories where the l series or m series were . . They were a small player.

At the same time 7 to 9 years ago . . there wete big name companies on the bx and b sizes that just weren't worth a darn.

Today the competition and product quality of the sub compact and compact markets is much changed and companies that were weak before have higher quality better designed units and can compete with kubota.

Sadly, so far my studies show massey has a very nice tractor . . but I'm failing to see beyond the tractor side in scut product.

1. But lets be specific with a specific example. Front end loaders for the GC1700 series. Every unit I've seen has a DL 100 loader. BUT the website implement listing doesn't even show a Dl100 . . it shows a DL95.

2. Another specific example . . Front Snowblower. Website list says its a 2360. But anywhere you look for NEW 2360s for sale . . It shows them for the GC 2400 and Gc2600 . . no GC1700 even mentioned.

3. In my present study . . a Massey 2360 snowblower is advertised at $3695 plus mid pto kit and hitch. Whereas the Kubota bx snowblower is more than $1,000 cheaper and adapts to other implements as well. Can't find a Massey broom etc. etc..

A good scut tractor with few, uncertain, and expensive implements is risky.

It appears the GC1700s came out 1.5 years ago. So how come it seems like they were just introduced and unprepared. 3 examples highlight my concerns.

I'm really tempted to go Massey because of the GC1715 tractor . . I just don't want to be left on an expensive stranded island.

By the way . . If a person has. to convert to skid steer compatibility to have options . . then clearly Massey does not understand the scut marketplace.

I'm sure open to other opinions . . but one of them is not skid steer compatibility on the front end.

Why is that?

Whether you look at LandPride or Woods or several others . . Or Yanmar or Kubota . . Good implements for scut tractors needs to be designed for scut tractors . . not for the general tractor or skid steer market. That is precisely why Kubota did so well from 1999 to 2009 . . they understood that implements for scut benefit are not for the general market. Its why LandPride and Woods have specific product labeled and developed for scut needs . . their catalogs highlight those products.

By the way . . designing for the general market is why so many scut tractors failed miserably to capture market share . . the manufacturers did not design and build for that market's needs and viewpoint.