Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

When buying a new sub compact tractor with a need for mmm grass cutting on steeper hills . . . is there a reason why you wouldn't load both your front and back tires ? It seems normal to have rears loaded . . . but other than cost . . . wouldn't loading the fronts be a good thing ?

And how long does loading last before it needs to be redone? What negatives are there to loading tires?

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #2  
Lots of folks swear by loading tires, but mine are still "virgin"; I have turfs and do have some pretty steep slopes in a couple of areas.

I always use 4WD on the slopes (unless I have a senior moment and forget before heading down the hill :eek:), and do the very steepest parts vertically ONLY. So far, no problems.

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #3  
And how long does loading last before it needs to be redone? What negatives are there to loading tires?

Good question, I am wondering the same things, I am not mowing but have sand that is challenging even in 4 wheel drive, and add a disc or BB behind that, and wondering if "Loading" is what I need to do and how one goes about doing so?

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #4  
Loading the tires will give you a bit more traction although many manufacturers don't recommend loading the front tires. No real reason is given but most folks claim it would cause wear to the steering (which I don't believe personally unless the front steering is way under engineered).
If never wears out and unless you have a flat and loose it, the liquid ballast never needs replacing.

NOTE: with the really small tires on the front, I doubt you will see much increase in traction with loaded tires on the front. I would just load the rears and see what happens.

If you need additional front weight because of a heavy rear implement, look at adding some cast iron front weights which can usually be quickly removed when not needed.

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #5  
I have to bushhog my steep hill and loading my front tires helped tremendously. I forget the size, but they hold 12 gallons according to the Messick's chart. I put in 2 gallons of RV antifreeze, the rest water.

Get that fill tool from Gempler's and do it yourself, unless you want Rimguard.

Good luck.

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #6  
It is amazing what some of the smaller tires are able to hold.

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s
I have to bushhog my steep hill and loading my front tires helped tremendously. I forget the size, but they hold 12 gallons according to the Messick's chart. I put in 2 gallons of RV antifreeze, the rest water.

Get that fill tool from Gempler's and do it yourself, unless you want Rimguard.

Good luck.

What is the advantage and disadvantage to RimGuard vs. Water and anti freeze for loading tires? Obviously RimGuard would be more expensive and about 30% more weight addition. What other issues are there . . . effects on heat and cold ??? . . . rusting or corrosion ???? Just wondering.

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #8  
Rim Guard is specifically designed to be the best stuff for the job. Whether or not it truly reaches that goal or not is mostly of opinion as it really hasn't been around long enough to know for sure. Old timers put calcium chloride solutions inside their tires once upon a time thinking it would be a good idea and it rotted the rims off the tractors after about 40 years, some sooner... Rimguard was tested as extensively as it can be for how long it's been around. So far it's proven to be well worth the bucks.

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s
Greetings,

Different responses and points of view are welcome. In my case . . when I do order my sub compact tractor . . because I'm going to be belly mower cutting blue grass lawn on 15 to 20+ degree hills . . I'm looking for the best advantages for it.

The idea of loading front tires by some opinions is that its an insignificant improvement. Others think front weights etc can be a help.

Obviously no front end loader when I'm doing the hills because of leveraged weight forward (my opinion). But I also don't think I'd choose weights either . . just because its axle weight.

I'm considering loading the front tires because any weight gain is ground contact weight . . not suspended axle weight - (best weight possible . . I'm guessing). But I'm happy to hear contrary opinions or reasoning.

So cost vs. gain is something I hear stated. So if I did it myself to keep cost down . . . would RimGuard still be the best choice? Or is another method preferred or another product a better consideration?

I'm planning on ordering turf tires rather than industrial . . but I'm also open to opinions on tire choices . . dealers seem to suggest industrial tires.

Factors to consider:
15 + 20 degree hills with up down and side hill cutting
Sub compact tractor
Blue grass
Turf tires
Belly mower attached and fel not attached
Rimguard or something else for loading

And of course can this be self loaded to keep cost/benefit in line for front tires?

/ Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s #10  
Axel, I'd get some RV antifreeze and load them yourself. It doesn't take long to do. Rimguard is basically beet juice.