Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey late 2014 model GC1715

Greetings,

When buying a new sub compact tractor with a need for mmm grass cutting on steeper hills . . . is there a reason why you wouldn't load both your front and back tires ? It seems normal to have rears loaded . . . but other than cost . . . wouldn't loading the fronts be a good thing ?

And how long does loading last before it needs to be redone? What negatives are there to loading tires?

Tractor
    2007 MF GC2310 TLB

Default Re: Loading both front and back tires on GC1700s

Lots of folks swear by loading tires, but mine are still "virgin"; I have turfs and do have some pretty steep slopes in a couple of areas.

I always use 4WD on the slopes (unless I have a senior moment and forget before heading down the hill ), and do the very steepest parts vertically ONLY. So far, no problems.
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous vintage Japanese motorcycles

Gilchrist County side of High Springs, FL
    Tractor
    Kubota L3901 HST w/ FEL, ST2046

Quote Originally Posted by AxleHub View Post
    And how long does loading last before it needs to be redone? What negatives are there to loading tires?
    Good question, I am wondering the same things, I am not mowing but have sand that is challenging even in 4 wheel drive, and add a disc or BB behind that, and wondering if "Loading" is what I need to do and how one goes about doing so?

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Loading the tires will give you a bit more traction although many manufacturers don't recommend loading the front tires. No real reason is given but most folks claim it would cause wear to the steering (which I don't believe personally unless the front steering is way under engineered).
    If never wears out and unless you have a flat and loose it, the liquid ballast never needs replacing.

NOTE: with the really small tires on the front, I doubt you will see much increase in traction with loaded tires on the front. I would just load the rears and see what happens.

If you need additional front weight because of a heavy rear implement, look at adding some cast iron front weights which can usually be quickly removed when not needed.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota L4330 w/FEL, Kubota RTV900, Kubota ZD326S

I have to bushhog my steep hill and loading my front tires helped tremendously. I forget the size, but they hold 12 gallons according to the Messick's chart. I put in 2 gallons of RV antifreeze, the rest water.

Get that fill tool from Gempler's and do it yourself, unless you want Rimguard.

Good luck.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

It is amazing what some of the smaller tires are able to hold.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    I have to bushhog my steep hill and loading my front tires helped tremendously. I forget the size, but they hold 12 gallons according to the Messick's chart. I put in 2 gallons of RV antifreeze, the rest water.

Get that fill tool from Gempler's and do it yourself, unless you want Rimguard.

Good luck.
    What is the advantage and disadvantage to RimGuard vs. Water and anti freeze for loading tires? Obviously RimGuard would be more expensive and about 30% more weight addition. What other issues are there . . . effects on heat and cold ??? . . . rusting or corrosion ???? Just wondering.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

Rim Guard is specifically designed to be the best stuff for the job. Whether or not it truly reaches that goal or not is mostly of opinion as it really hasn't been around long enough to know for sure. Old timers put calcium chloride solutions inside their tires once upon a time thinking it would be a good idea and it rotted the rims off the tractors after about 40 years, some sooner... Rimguard was tested as extensively as it can be for how long it's been around. So far it's proven to be well worth the bucks.

Tractor

Greetings,

Different responses and points of view are welcome. In my case . . when I do order my sub compact tractor . . because I'm going to be belly mower cutting blue grass lawn on 15 to 20+ degree hills . . I'm looking for the best advantages for it.

The idea of loading front tires by some opinions is that its an insignificant improvement. Others think front weights etc can be a help.

Obviously no front end loader when I'm doing the hills because of leveraged weight forward (my opinion). But I also don't think I'd choose weights either . . just because its axle weight.

I'm considering loading the front tires because any weight gain is ground contact weight . . not suspended axle weight - (best weight possible . . I'm guessing). But I'm happy to hear contrary opinions or reasoning.

So cost vs. gain is something I hear stated. So if I did it myself to keep cost down . . . would RimGuard still be the best choice? Or is another method preferred or another product a better consideration?

I'm planning on ordering turf tires rather than industrial . . but I'm also open to opinions on tire choices . . dealers seem to suggest industrial tires.

Factors to consider:
    15 + 20 degree hills with up down and side hill cutting
    Sub compact tractor
    Blue grass
    Turf tires
    Belly mower attached and fel not attached
    Rimguard or something else for loading

And of course can this be self loaded to keep cost/benefit in line for front tires?

Tractor
    GC1710

Axel, I'd get some RV antifreeze and load them yourself. It doesn't take long to do. Rimguard is basically beet juice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast