MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks?

/ MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks? #1  

Chad in Idaho

Tractor
Ford 8N
Hi guys! I'm heading out to look at an MF 124 for sale for $800.00. The ad says it "needs new pick up drive chain". I have a parts manual and an operators manual that I located online but I can't tell what/if damage can occur when that chain breaks. Does only the feeder stop turning or ??? I quized the guy a little and asked if the needles or anything on the knotters been welded/brazed. He said no, but the needles have been bent and he "had them straightened". Other than the PH stop not adjusted correctly or it's really out of time, what else bends needles? BTW, he is selling because he has since purchased a larger inline baler. We've all heard that story. I don't want to be skeptical, but it has been for sale for 28 days now.

Also, if I understand correctly, I SHOULD be able to make a knot without the PTO running. I can reach into the back of the chute and grab the twine, pull it back and tie it off to the upper back side of the the chute. I think that simulates the string lying on top of the bale. From there, I can rotate the flywheel and watch the knotters do their thang. It is really that simple? Obviously, that can only take place if the twine is being held by the knotters to start with...........but what if it isn't?

Any pointers to look for on this baler? It is a couple 3 hours away so I'd like to get my ducks in a row before heading out.

Thanks Chad

/ MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks? #2  
I would want to see it bale before I bought it unless you really like working on a hay baler

/ MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks?
Whis, is your comment based on age? Or the chain issue? Or ? Balers are scarce out here right now. That being said, I don't want to waste my money on an impulse purchase either. I appreciate your comment….

/ MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks? #4  
I bought my MF124 baler right out of the field ($2K). The owner baled about 30 acres the day before and there were three bales on the baler when bought it.

Pickup chain issue is minor compared to possible needle misalignment. I'd be more concerned about that. So you need to carefully inspect the needle operation while someone turns the flywheel to be sure the needles are not rubbing against anything.

If the twine is already loaded into the knotters, then you can check the knotter operation using the method you described. If not, then you'll need to go through the twine loading process.

Watch these YouTube videos and download the MF124 baler at these Websites. The 124 manual file is 44 MB so it takes a few minutes to download. Follow the instructions for loading twine into the knotters and you should be good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FxTMux-ArA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTLTfcnUyMI

http://www.jonathanonline.com/Links/MF-124OperatorManual.pdf

The first thing I did after I got my MF124 baler home was to service the slip clutch. The pads were worn almost completely. You can get replacement parts from AGCO.

AGCO Parts Books

Or you can use brake lining material from NAPA or McMaster Carr and cut to size.

The 124 manual has complete instructions on timing the baler. You'll have to go through this procedure several times to be sure it's correct. It's a good learning experience.

Good luck

/ MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks?
Thanks for the insight. And check this out.........I found this while surfing the Google. I don't a speaka d'language from that site but the pdf is nice to have in printable form.

http://fermer.ru/files/forum/attach/134113/mf124-697867.pdf

And I sure hope the baler is that pretty pink color like the first vid! My kids will make (more) fun of me; the neighbors will shun me. Ugggggh

/ MF 124 What damage is done if the pickup chain breaks? #6  
lots of moving parts and if knotters aren't working right it can be royal pain in the butt to fix