New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine.

/ New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Today is day one of an investment in my first diesel tractor . . Its red and running.

For those who have had many past tractors . . its just another model . . just an improvement in a continuing category of improving sub compacts.

But to someone who wanted and waited for 9 years like me . . this is a tool of my future.

You've seen them in real life or brochures . . but maybe the mower deck will surprise you. I know the dealer had never seen one before. Its a Massey mulching deck 54".

No I don't mean it has mulching ability . . it is a unique mulching deck. It has 6 mower blades. It has no right ejection port. Its shallower than a "finish" deck and smaller in appearance than any of the other massey decks. But boy does it mulch and cut grass.

I'll have a few pictures this weekend.

Already after 45 minutes on the unit I had the tools out and got an additional 2 inches of leg room . . really good for those with long legs or sore knees. And another hour running and I was greasing zerks. And then back running again.

I'd consider the unit quiet compared to a riding lawn mower. And surprisingly the word "nimble" seems to apply. It rides smooth and sure like a highway cruiser motorcycle . . but maneuvers like a spoet motorcycle.

More later.

"Boys with their toys" . . or "men at work" ? Maybe a little of each. :)

/ New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine. #2  
After all of this and yet no pics? :bat:

Congrats. Out of curiousity, why the 1715 instead of the 1705?

/ New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine.
After all of this and yet no pics? :bat:

Congrats. Out of curiousity, why the 1715 instead of the 1705?

I took quite a number of pics today . . but I have to crop and resolution resize so they don't get too big.

Why the gc1715 instead of the gc1705?

a. Much better seat as far as durability and comfort.

b. 2.5 more hp . . so if I do some 3 pt. hitch activity I have some room to grow.

c. Armoured directionals and a work light. I'll also be adding some led
lighting front and rear for broad lighting using same wiring paths.

d. Heavy duty battery.

Now had there been thousands separating the 2 models it might have been different . . but I didn't want to be short sighted on something I'll have for years to come.

/ New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine. #4  
You've seen them in real life or brochures . . but maybe the mower deck will surprise you. I know the dealer had never seen one before. Its a Massey mulching deck 54".

No I don't mean it has mulching ability . . it is a unique mulching deck. It has 6 mower blades. It has no right ejection port. Its shallower than a "finish" deck and smaller in appearance than any of the other massey decks. But boy does it mulch and cut grass.

:)

I have had my 2315 Mulching deck since my first GC2310 back in 2006. Now I have a GC1710 and it fits perfect. I think I am the only one around my area that has one, as my new dealer was confused when I went to buy new blades for it as they had never sold one. It works great, wouldn't trade it for anything ! I have tried to find Gator blades that would fit but no luck.... so take care of your blades, they are not cheap from Massey ! :eek:

I have had my 2315 Mulching deck since my first GC2310 back in 2006. Now I have a GC1710 and it fits perfect. I think I am the only one around my area that has one, as my new dealer was confused when I went to buy new blades for it as they had never sold one. It works great, wouldn't trade it for anything ! I have tried to find Gator blades that would fit but no luck.... so take care of your blades, they are not cheap from Massey ! :eek:

Well that's what I was wondering also. Obviously with only 24 hours old . . I haven't taken them off yet :)

do they have a unique center hole design?

I was expecting them to be a "high and low arrangement" but they are right next to each other in an X . Well betw
een the 2 of us . . We're bound to run into a #3 lol . . or maybe an after market alternative to oem.

Keep in touch:)

One other question . . I was thinking of spraying a "no cling" deck spray on the whole underside . . or using a car wax . . either one to keep the deck really smooth and "grass slippery". Have you ever tried anything like that?

/ New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine. #6  
I thought it would have been a different blade design as well. The smaller blades actually never lose their edge, so not sure how effective they are. Athough unless you are cutting very tall grass, there is next to zero grass left behind. I have been looking for years for the blades, Gater does not make blades for Massey's standard deck, let a lone the mulch deck so I don't think it will happen as there are very very few of these decks around. As far as spraying the underside, I never bothered. If you try let it, let me know, maybe I will someday. :cool:

/ New GC1715 - Its fine . . . and its mine. #8  
Sounds like a great system and even though I don't need a mower deck, I now want one!

in one way . . I wish I could snowblow with the new unit for an excuse to use it in the winter. But as some may recall . . there is a method to my process and that method is:

1. Get the GC1715
2. Get a unique capability deck and a DL95 fel.
3. Get as many uses for the fel . . which includes forks, a snow blade, and quick attach of bucket and maybe a small sized grapple.
4. Get a near new used secondary lawn mower in 25 hp (gas) that the wife feels comfortable with that is a zero turn Tractor and get a brand new snowblower on that for winter and great grass cutting in summer.
5. Concept is to have full backup for lawn and snow but in different forms . . and the zero turn tractor and snowblower combination cost considerably less than a snowblower for the GC1715 but is more wife friendly.

Why this whole concept? Both units ready whether snow is light or heavy or drifting deep (blade and bucket vs. blower) and mulching/cutting vs trimming/cutting.

Greetings,

Pictures of the new arrival :)

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7719.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG