Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info???

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #1  

gurkina

Tractor
none
I have narrowed by search to the MF 1758 and Kubota MX5800 or L6060. The price on the MF is better as expected, it's very close to the MX 5800 but this isn't Kubota's premium compact, still an awesome tractor. Question is, does anyone here have a 1758 and how do you like it, good and bad experiences? This is a big investment and I want to get it right this time. The Kubota's are awesome but for some reason I can't get away from wanting that 1758, have driven both and these are good tractors I think. Please offer some experiences with either, thanks a lot.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #2  
IMO you pay extra for orange and green these days. Massey quality is right up there, and as you found out priced a little more competitive.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info???
Agreed, it seems the massey is just as solid and I can get its premium compact at the same as Kubotas mx5800. I am really impressed with the Massey so far.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #4  
Sounds like you already made up your mind. However, I think there are a couple guys on here with 1548's hopefully they will see this and give you some feedback on that tractor.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #5  
I've owned a 1648 (which I sold to another member on this forum) and now own a 1652. Both cab. The 16xx series is the previous, tier 3 models. These tractors are built in Japan, for AGCO (parent company of Massey, one of the largest farm companies in the world) by Iseki manufacturing. Have been for a long time. They are top notch machines. My series machines have Iseki built diesels (great engines) but for Tier 4, the 1758 comes with a Mitsubishi diesel. No worries there, Mitsubishi builds great engines. (I had a Mitsubishi in my LS, and also currently have a "Perkins" branded Mitsubishi in my Terex track loader.

My 1648 was flawless except for one small thing. Right around 550'ish hours one of the hydraulic lines developed a fitting leak, which was promptly fixed under warranty.

My 1652 is right around 560 hrs I think... Also flawless. I work it hard for my landscape company. I am extremely impressed with the quality and durability.

I've also owned Kioti and LS. I have direct experience with the competing Kubota models and some JD models. The Kubota's are nice also. However, in my experience, the Massey (Iseki) machines are more durable and reliable.

I will say that the loader valve on the Kubota is better... You can feather dual function (boom and tilt cylinders at the same time) more easily on the 'Bota. They also now have a throttle-toggle on the loader joystick (the grand L series) which is neat. Kubota also offers a "dual" 3-range HST, which gives you a Hi-Lo in each of the 3 HST ranges, effectively giving you 6 HST speeds. That's a nice feature, though my Massey HST is never wanting for power.

The MX machines are nice too... Somehow Kubota bills them as a "utility" tractor even though they offer less strength and features than both the Massey 1758 & Bota L6060.

Bottom line, you probably can't go wrong with either one, shop by preference. Good luck!

Yeah the dual function with the loader bucket is something I noticed that is much better with the Kubota, it works great. However, I do prefer the 2 pedal control HST on the Massey. I do believe I will go with the Massey just because it is such a solid tractor and the price is a little more favorable. Thanks for all the info on the Massey, sounds like your experience has been great and you have put a decent number of hours on it. However, like you said, both are top of the line tractors. Both dealers in my area seem to be very good. At this point, the red paint looks mighty good to me. Gonna give myself a week or so to think about it and may go drive each one again.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #7  
Did you see this thread? 5 pages
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-buying-pricing/332103-1758-review.html

Looked for the best tractor and dealer in my area. Limited to 3 choices. I consider a dealer and their product a team. I need both as I am way too busy to worry about support for a product that costs over $40,000. Been down the road with 2 Korean tractors. Opted on the Massey over green and orange for what I thought was a better Team that would win for me. So far I am pleased with my decision. Will need to write another report sometime but still under 100 hours I think. Will be moving snow tomorrow so might add some info here. Will not be above zero and want to test the heated cab in conditions like this. I feel the tractor is probably 1.5 MPH faster than when I took delivery. I road long distances sometimes so the closer I get to 20 MPH or over the better. The 1758 isn't screaming at PTO power, maybe up to 300 RPM lower than some but not as low as say a Perkins design diesel like I had in the MF2615 open station. The Tier 4 technology is a non issue I believe. I've regenned twice possibly three times or about every 35 hours. I missed it once as I was working the unit and just never knew it cycled. Worried about the expense for a tier 4? Go with a Cenex warranty for $299 and then you have warranty to 10 years though Massey has a 5 year which was best in industry until recently. I think I heard JD at 6 years powertrain on the radio. I believe this is new???? Massey 1600 and 1700's premium and sweet. Like a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter boots. The fit and finish and performance are top shelf.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #8  
Did you see this thread? 5 pages
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-buying-pricing/332103-1758-review.html

Looked for the best tractor and dealer in my area. Limited to 3 choices. I consider a dealer and their product a team. I need both as I am way too busy to worry about support for a product that costs over $40,000. Been down the road with 2 Korean tractors. Opted on the Massey over green and orange for what I thought was a better Team that would win for me. So far I am pleased with my decision. Will need to write another report sometime but still under 100 hours I think. Will be moving snow tomorrow so might add some info here. Will not be above zero and want to test the heated cab in conditions like this. I feel the tractor is probably 1.5 MPH faster than when I took delivery. I road long distances sometimes so the closer I get to 20 MPH or over the better. The 1758 isn't screaming at PTO power, maybe up to 300 RPM lower than some but not as low as say a Perkins design diesel like I had in the MF2615 open station. The Tier 4 technology is a non issue I believe. I've regenned twice possibly three times or about every 35 hours. I missed it once as I was working the unit and just never knew it cycled. Worried about the expense for a tier 4? Go with a Cenex warranty for $299 and then you have warranty to 10 years though Massey has a 5 year which was best in industry until recently. I think I heard JD at 6 years powertrain on the radio. I believe this is new???? Massey 1600 and 1700's premium and sweet. Like a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter boots. The fit and finish and performance are top shelf.

I have a 4610. I live in N. MN. The 4610 has spent the winter outside since I don't yet have a shed. I have avoided starting it in the coldest weather this winter since I only need it for loading out hay that I sell. But I have used it at zero or just 3 or 4 degrees below. In 3-4 minutes that cab is heating up nicely. I love it. In the right weather the windows do steam up so I have to crack open a side window and things clear up. On the highway it will flat out fly. My complaint though is it tends to have a bit of a bounce to it when you do get out and go.

onceacop, what was your impression of your former 2615? I see some have been unhappy with their's on here. I have had a couple of small issues with mine but thus far I have no major complaints. I have had mine since last June.

Yeah, I love the metal hood and fenders on the Massey, my Farmall 45 was plastic and started cracking where the bolts secured the fenders. The 5 year warranty is very impressive, that is much better than almost everyone except the Deere 6 year that just started. I like the Massey and Kubota dealers so either way I think support would be good. Glad to hear you like the Red paint, also appreciate the link you posted. Will keep you posted on what I do.

/ Seriously considering MF 1758 - any info??? #10  
No direct experience with the 1758, but the two Masseys I've owned have been excellent. I sold my 2007 1540 in '09 and bought a 1643 in 2013. No complaints at all with either of them.

The 1540 started in any weather no matter the temperature and was the quietest tractor we've ever been around.

The 1643, while not quite as quiet or as good starting, is still pretty good in both categories. It's a great tractor.