MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info?

/ MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #1  

Tompet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77, Massey Ferguson 1540
I have been looking on and off for a little larger compact tractor with around 28hp pto. The following is first reasonable priced sale I've come across. It's a local private sale for a 1540 with 1525 loader and Woods BB72 cutter at under $15k. I went and looked at it a couple weeks ago and seller is currently out of town so I'll talk to him next week.

It has low hours around 270, 8x8 synchro shuttle and was a really quiet running machine. The brush hog saw very little use and looks it.

Though hours are low, bucket edge was pretty beat, with a couple minor items like hood latch broke, touchy seat switch, loader valve stick was welded on after breaking, but overall good cosmetic condition and garage kept. He did say he let various buddies borrow it over the years which may explain some items noted.

One concern is front left axle knuckle had slight even sheen on surface which indicates to me that seal may be failing. No drips, just like you took a rag with some oil on it and wiped it off. Owner was unaware of it. Rest of fittings are all dry.

One other question, with this transmission should this tractor be able pull itself from dead stop (no load on a driveway) in high range? It stalled out and owner said it never was able to do that in high range.

Are the turbos on the 1540 reliable?
Did the 8x8 have power reverser available? I don't remember exactly but when I test drove it, I thought I went into reverse on the fly or I just naturally pushed in clutch w/o thinking.

It didn't have better hitch with extendable lower links (never saw this model w/o) nor did it have SS bucket which is something I would add bracket either through OEM or aftermarket. 1525 loader with joystick mounted on loader rather than the pedestal type which I prefer, but not a big deal.

If I get it for a good enough price I'll fix/make modifications needed. Any other things to check or opinions?

Last edited:
   / MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #2  
Hi Tompet,

I really think you are only $2K - $3K away from a brand new 1734E tractor w/ FEL w/ 5yr warranty. The Woods RC6 cutter without additional features could be had for under $700 with the $500 woods implement program Massey is running right now.

Just a thought...

/ MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info?
Thanks for reply. With the 6' Woods Brushbull on this sale and a 1540 with loader for around $14k it seems like a decent deal compared to what used tractors I've seen at dealers lots, Craigslist or Tractorhouse etc.

I was unaware of a Massey equipment program. I don't know what the 1734e is going for locally, but on Tractorhouse the cheapest one I saw with loader was 17k and the 1540 world be more like a 1739e. Add sales tax and whatever other fees or shipping if bought from distant dealer and I think a new e model would be more like $5k-6k over the cost of the used 1540.

I do appreciate the input. I'm surprised no 1533 or 1540 owners have provided some feedback. Maybe I can get a better price from the seller or go back to looking for a good 135!

/ MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #4  
For only a few grand more, I'd also look to a new machine.

/ MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #5  
I just bought a 1529 with 133hrs. It came with the synchro shuttle transmission, loader, and a woods 72" scrape blade. It looked brand new and we gave $13k for it. I think it was a great deal for us. We saved ourselves probably at least $5k over the best price we could have gotten on a new tractor. No sales taxes when you buy a used tractor from an individual! I have not had much chance to use it yet... I was able to grade some bad ruts in our road in about 45 minutes. It handled that task quite effectively. I saw a thread on changing that front hub seal posted recently, and it did not look too difficult.

Good luck on the purchase if you go that way!

I just bought a 1529 with 133hrs. It came with the synchro shuttle transmission, loader, and a woods 72" scrape blade. It looked brand new and we gave $13k for it. I think it was a great deal for us. We saved ourselves probably at least $5k over the best price we could have gotten on a new tractor. No sales taxes when you buy a used tractor from an individual! I have not had much chance to use it yet... I was able to grade some bad ruts in our road in about 45 minutes. It handled that task quite effectively. I saw a thread on changing that front hub seal posted recently, and it did not look too difficult.

Good luck on the purchase if you go that way!

Good points on purchasing used. I did see the thread on seal fix.

A dealer here has a 1529 with 166 hours like you purchased and is asking $14.9. Even if he came down to price you paid with sales tax, the 1540 with a 6' Brushbull would work out to about the same as yours. I know a new 1739e or equivalent 1700 deluxe series would wind up being quite a bit more money. It does take awhile to search for a used tractor, especially a compact since with interest and incentives a new tractor can be somewhat competitive with late used models.

I just had some specific questions on the tractor models beyond price.

/ MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #7  
Tompet,

I didn't mean to try to steer you in a different direction, just thought I would add a little perspective on buying new w/warranty vs used. I don't have to pay sales tax and forget to add that in to the purchase price where other people are concerned.

As for the 1540, I owned a Massey 1547 when the model first came out. I only owned it for a couple of years before I moved and sold the tractor, but in the time I had it - it was a great tractor. Mine was a HST, and at the time, if I remember correctly, was the highest HP compact tractor available with HST. Mine had the HST whine, that I found somewhat annoying. Before purchasing that tractor, I had the dealer drop off several other models, but I think they were the 1433 and 1440v, and one other with a backhoe. I think this was just at the time when they were switching from the 14 and 15 series. The 14 series tractors I tested were the synchro shuttle which seemed to have the ability to put more power to the ground than the HST model I bought. I felt as though my 1547 was not able to make use of its power because it seemed the HST would hit the relief too soon...

I think the 15 series Massey were really good tractors, and if purchase price + repairs is in the price range you are looking for, I think it would be a nice tractor. My two hesitations on buying any used tractor, would be whether it was maintained properly (all diesel turbos need good oil to keep working properly and live a long life) and if the original owner was kind to the dry clutch. A clutch replacement on a tractor like that could possible put you right in the ballpark of a new tractor, when taking into consideration all of the other items that need to be repaired or serviced when purchasing used.

No problem bringing up new purchase Wolfman, I just think for a similar new model the price difference would be a lot more than 2 or 3 thousand. I do have a concern about the turbo and what is involved with one on a tractor. Did yours have a turbo? If so, any maintenance on yours during couple years of ownership?

Point on dry vs wet clutch is a point to look at further. One question I had originally was, if the shuttle should in high range should pull itself from dead stop w/o stalling.

The shuttle was extremely quiet on the tractor compared to my HST.

Last edited:
   / MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #9  
I have not had a lot of time behind the wheel of my 1539, but I have driven it in all its gears. Mine does not stall when starting in the top gear. I definitely recommend driving the tractor before you buy it, though!

/ MF 1533 1540 and other owners opinions/info? #10  
I have a 1533 and I've never tried to start out in high 4th, I've always went from 2nd to 4th once it got going good. Great tractor for what I do which is mainly bush hogging roads and moving material. I've had a problem with the tilt on the bucket leaking down, and the full dump function doesn't always work right, kinda gotta play with it sometimes to get it to fully roll down. Nothing major to make me investigate it, other than that it's done everything I've wanted it to do.