MF tractor numbering and logic

/ MF tractor numbering and logic #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Over the last couple years I became interested and then an owner of a MF tractor. But I seem to lack an understanding of how MF identifies their past and present tractors and model groupings compared to other brands.

1. In subcompacts its easy in that a subcompact model starts with GC. But the older scuts are 2300, 2400, and 2600 series while the new models are 1700 series. New products yet smaller numbers ????

2. But then it gets more confusing as MF doesn't use letters to indicate all their other model categories . . So you have 1500s and 1700s and 3 digit and 4 digit numbers jumping all over the brand.

My question is . . MF makes some great product but seems to have zero logic in identifying those great product. What am I not undetstanding? Kubota has BX and B and L and M etc. So very quickly a person can categorize sizes and groupings. Meanwhile the MF 1700 series has 3 or 4 (??? ) frame sizes and 9 units in it and that doesn't include the GC1700s.

I don't get it :)

/ MF tractor numbering and logic #2  
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! MF nomenclature has baffled many; I believe, however, they're finally beginning to "standardize" their numbering system(s).

As far as the GCs are involved, the original GC2300 series alluded to the fact that they were categorized as 23 (OK, really 22) HP. the plain -00 meant it came with a FEL only; the -10 meant it also had been beefed up in the rear to accept (and came with) a backhoe. As far as I know, that part of the GC model numbers still holds true.

The first real changes occurred when they went to a two-pedal system for forward/reverse, re-located the parking brake lever, made some (IMHO) great changes to the instrument panel and included, for the first time, a temperature gauge, which resulted in what they called the GC2400 series. Mine, a 2007 model, was one of the last of the GC2300s. I recall that the GC2400s were just becoming available a few months after I bought my 2310.

Later, in the HP wars, they came out with a Bigger, Newer, Improved (!?!) model, which was rated at 26 HP, hence the GC2600 series.

After that, they seemed to try to relate the GC series tractors with the rest of their line, which meant going to series numbers less than 2000, i.e., the (GC)1700s.

As far as the bigger ones go, I've never tried to understand them-- N/A in my case, as they say.