Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice

/ Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I'm looking at a used 175 hour 2011 MF 2615, which I understand has an engine, if not the whole tractor, built in India
to Perkins design. I'm ok so far, Perkins is all over the world, but what about parts availability if say a gear breaks or a
clutch goes out? There's the issue with engine parts availability, filters, etc, and then the balance of this fairly simple geared tractor.
No FEL, just a second tractor for me to put a five foot heavy garden tiller on and also to do some mowing.

So my question is who owns one of these and has parts access been an issue? Is there any aftermarket or are you stuck going to
a dealer? If the pto broke something inside, would I wait two months for parts?

I went to the engine mfg Simpson's website; they are basically number two behind Mahindra. In other words big.
With properly obtained Perkin's licenses, probably back from the Colonial days...

I've looked at older tractors and they have been dreadful. Here's an almost new five year old one that's very simple and appears
to be a nice basic utility tractor. I'd buy a Mahindra and not worry about the parts; but what about this Massey?
211 MASSEY FERGUSON 2615
I can buy this for twelve even with tax and new fluids and filters.
thanks
Drew

/ Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice #2  
The MF2615 is a good tractor with its Perkins licensed engine. It has very low hours and looks to be in excellent shape. If you don't need 4wd or a loader it should easily do your mowing and tilling chores. As far as non stock parts go, Mahindra is no exception. Another member has waited about 6 weeks so far for parts for his new Mahindra tractor. Parts availability can be iffy with any brand. Things like replacement clutch, filters, tires, etc. are usually available within a short time but internal engine, transmission, PTO parts may take a while to get.

/ Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice
thanks guys.
Well I bought it, seemed like brand new, everything worked, no leaks, apparently was a garage queen.
12 grand including tax for a 2011 with 170 hours.

What was nice was going into the local Massey dealer, which appeared sadly on its last legs, and they had every replacement filter in stock.
Plus the outer air filter which was 75 bucks for a Kubota was 55 for the Massey.
The parts guy had been there 42 years and he said these tractors were very reliable once several years into the run.
He also said he thought he'd never have as reliable a diesel as a Perkins until Massey/Agco started using Finnish Sisu engines in their larger tractors.
Those engines he felt were very impressive.

I just have to remember it's a two stage clutch and not keep pushing the clutch down all the way to shift gears. That disengages the pto.

Probably one of those cases where if nothing has broken by now, this tractor will hopefully go a long time without issues. It was dry as a bone underneath.
Am thinking I probably ought to change the coolant due to being 5 years old ,another thing for the list before they deliver it next week.

Attachments

• Massey Ferguson 2615.jpg
    Massey Ferguson 2615.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,467
   / Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice #4  
Congrats on your new to you purchase.

/ Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice #5  
Very nice.

How much HP?

I've been very pleased with the new to me tractor. Have done some mowing in 4th gear low but could go faster, lot of obstacles in some areas. Nice that pto speed is about
1800 rpm versus much higher on my Kubota. But...this thing is a handful to maneuver in close quarters around the barn.
Using a treadle hydrostatic is way way easier to modulate than that two stage clutch. However, once it gets some space it works beautifully and turns very nicely.
The exhaust is loud, right in my face, wear ear protectors, and waiting for muffler conversion kit to come in. Will lower the pipe to underneath, which should quiet things down dramatically.
What has been most noticeable to me is how smooth and soft the ride is compared to the jiggly hard Kubota.
Goodyear tires are fairly large, particularly in front, so they roll over the bumps and holes with hardly a notice.
So I put my 3M radio headset on, listen to some classical music on NPR, and mow the field with my Massey which rides
better than anything else in the barn.

found out it only went into service Dec 2012, so just broken in. And I still don't see any evidence of drips or leaks underneath.
The rear hydraulics seem to be very slow in reacting and can be heavily affected by the pto clutch; almost like engaging the pto amps up
the hydraulic pump. May be operator error so need some more seat time on it to figure it all out.
And it seems hard to shift at times.
Allegedly it's shift on the fly but dead stop for high low range changes.
So far it's been complete stops for me while I think about what I am doing.
I need to set some stops on the hydraulic controls. That might help.

Attachments

• mf6.jpg
    mf6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,799
   / Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice #8  
Congratulations, and well done! :D
There's always a familiarisation period, and you'll get to know this nice machine in no time. It's a bit like driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission for years. Then you find you're buying another one with a clutch and manual gearbox, then learning to drive it ..... it takes a little time to get into the groove. After that, you'll naturally push the clutch pedal only half-way, but when engaging or disengaging the PTO you'll naturally remember to push it right down, wait 1-2secs, then gently engage the PTO, gently release the 2nd stage whilst watching whatever implement it drives. :thumbsup: You can tell how much I care about our machines! :laughing:
Tractordata.com quotes impressive specs for this tractor too ..... very well done!
If you received the books with it - please read them as they will help you get to know your new tractor.
I don't know what the specified interval is for coolant changes, but 5yrs sounds quite long enough - time for some fresh coolant. :)

/ Looking at MF 2615 tomorrow, could use some advice #9  
That tractor will serve you well Drew. I know a few folks around here that have the same model and have had no issues. They are simple, reliable, and economical. For what you are doing it is a good choice.

thanks guys. I have truly enjoyed mowing the roadsides with this tractor though I'm about to change its sound, which has quite a bark to it. The horizontal muffler kit came in and the muffler, which was very well made is about twice the size of the standard vertical one so it should not only muffle better but get the noise away from right in front of my face. The muffler has an exceptionally well made industrial name tag on it proudly declaring it was made in India.
I put another coat of high temp black paint on it before install; figure it would never be off again to do this.