Buying Advice Looking at the MF GC1720

/ Looking at the MF GC1720 #1  

Catman8

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 30B, John Deere 2032R
Hello, no one likes surprises after a purchase, I bought a ski boat and to my surprise i receive a bill each year for a luxury tax and other state taxes and of course the crooked salesman is not going to tell you about these things.

I live in California, is there any hidden fees for owning a tractor that the salesman is not going to tell me about, like does it need a smog test every four years or any other state taxes.

If I bought a MF from another state will it have all the same emissions standards as one bought from California?

I rented a small tractor with a clutch once and it was so annoying shifting from forward to reverse but it did have a lot of gears to select from, the MF GC1720 only has two speeds, do you feel that your giving up gear selection for ease of use with the hydrostatic transmission?

Does forward and reverse have the same speed?

I own a MF 30B and was looking for a backhoe for it and a tractor mechanic told me that backhoes twist the frames of tractors so bad that all they do is damage your tractor and cause leaks to your drive train, true or false?

I hate surprises so any info would be great, thanks.

/ Looking at the MF GC1720 #2  
Hello, no one likes surprises after a purchase, I bought a ski boat and to my surprise i receive a bill each year for a luxury tax and other state taxes and of course the crooked salesman is not going to tell you about these things.

I live in California, is there any hidden fees for owning a tractor that the salesman is not going to tell me about, like does it need a smog test every four years or any other state taxes.

If I bought a MF from another state will it have all the same emissions standards as one bought from California?

I rented a small tractor with a clutch once and it was so annoying shifting from forward to reverse but it did have a lot of gears to select from, the MF GC1720 only has two speeds, do you feel that your giving up gear selection for ease of use with the hydrostatic transmission?

Does forward and reverse have the same speed?

I own a MF 30B and was looking for a backhoe for it and a tractor mechanic told me that backhoes twist the frames of tractors so bad that all they do is damage your tractor and cause leaks to your drive train, true or false?

I hate surprises so any info would be great, thanks.

I can't answer you CA specific questions...because I don't like in CA, never have. But I'd be surprised if the GC1720 was anything but identical in every state. I'm also not sure its the salesman's job to tell you about the taxes or fees that you'll have to pay to the state in which you live, unless its related to the purchase (like sales tax, or registration fees for a vehicle, etc). Though it would be nice if they told you everything they have learned....

I'm not sure you fully understand how hydro works on the MF and other tractors. It has 2 ranges, You can think of it like a pick up in that respect, you can have hi or low range. You get infinitely variable speed within the range (up to some max) via the pedals on the floor. The difference between the tractor and truck stop there, the pedals do not control throttle, just speed. If your throttle is low, you won't be able to go very fast or will stall the engine.... Forward has a faster top speed than reverse. The number should be on the website.

On your last point, about the backhoe damaging frames, I think your mechanic is making things up!

/ Looking at the MF GC1720
Thank you for responding, your right I don't understand how the tranny works, are you saying the more you push on the pedal the more power you have?

I can't answer you CA specific questions...because I don't like in CA, never have. But I'd be surprised if the GC1720 was anything but identical in every state. I'm also not sure its the salesman's job to tell you about the taxes or fees that you'll have to pay to the state in which you live, unless its related to the purchase (like sales tax, or registration fees for a vehicle, etc). Though it would be nice if they told you everything they have learned....

I'm not sure you fully understand how hydro works on the MF and other tractors. It has 2 ranges, You can think of it like a pick up in that respect, you can have hi or low range. You get infinitely variable speed within the range (up to some max) via the pedals on the floor. The difference between the tractor and truck stop there, the pedals do not control throttle, just speed. If your throttle is low, you won't be able to go very fast or will stall the engine.... Forward has a faster top speed than reverse. The number should be on the website.

On your last point, about the backhoe damaging frames, I think your mechanic is making things up!

/ Looking at the MF GC1720 #4  
Catman8,

Power is controlled bybthe throttle increading the rpms ofbthe engine.

Speed is controlled by the hydro pedals. The benefit to a hydrostatic drive system is nimbleness of movement, a fine touch in going very slow or in switching from forward to reverse, and drag when you want an engine braking effect on hills and slopes.

As to the mechanic saying a bh twists the tractor . . if that were so . . would there be a 5 year warranty or 6 ir more on the competitors ?

/ Looking at the MF GC1720 #5  
Thank you for responding, your right I don't understand how the tranny works, are you saying the more you push on the pedal the more power you have?

I think Axle did a decent job on the explanation. Throttle control available power, pedals control speed. If you find yourself in a situation where the engine begins to bog down, don't press the pedal harder, raise the throttle. If throttle is all the way up, back off the pedal.

A common thing I've seen among first time hydro drivers is they will be going up a hill in high range. The tractor will begin to slow, so they press the go pedal harder, the engine bogs, the tractor slows more, they press the go pedal harder....next thing you know the engine stalls. All that needed to happen was either up the throttle, switch to low range, or just back off the pedal.

I highly recommend you get out and drive some hydro tractors. For loader work, or anything that requires often change of direction (forward/reverse) or speed control, you cant beat the hydro!

My operators experience is with a Cat 935 track loader excavating swimming pools for five years in San Diego and that machine has lots of power, that career ended due to tinnitus (ringing of the ears), I then bought five acres in the country and purchased a used MF30b and the injector pump failed, took it apart and had the pump fixed and in my travels at work I lost all the fuel lines, so that tractor has been sitting idle and I need to get it working again so I do have a big tractor, a big tractor is nice but has its limitations in tight areas.

So now I'm looking for a small tractor for small jobs, I am use to the bucket controls being next to my hip, the location on the GC1720 is forward were you need to lean forward and looks very uncomfortable, I'm thinking you could make a new lever that is closer to the operator.

I'm sure you guys have ran into situations were you found the GC1700 series could not perform some task or had its limitations, could you share some of those experiences, do you find the tires spinning because they are not big tractor tires.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is this an underpowered toy, or do you feel it serves its usefulness as it was intended.

/ Looking at the MF GC1720 #7  
I've definitely run into its limits. In fact, right now, I have some rocks that I would like to move, but can't. That being said, I've done 99% of the work I wanted to get done. I also use my GC1720 as my mower, so I wouldn't really want to go any bigger (heavier). If comparing to a Cat 935, you'll be disappointed in the capability, you will need to realize these are two VERY different machines.

I've definitely run into its limits. In fact, right now, I have some rocks that I would like to move, but can't. That being said, I've done 99% of the work I wanted to get done. I also use my GC1720 as my mower, so I wouldn't really want to go any bigger (heavier). If comparing to a Cat 935, you'll be disappointed in the capability, you will need to realize these are two VERY different machines.

Thanks for the reply, I was not comparing the Cat to the MF GC1720, I was trying to decide if I should go with a garden tractor vs a compact tractor, but my thinking is if I get my MF30B working I will have a big tractor for big jobs that the GC1720 can not handle.

Does your GC1720 have the back hoe on it, I rented a full size backhoe once and had a terrible time using it, I could not dig anything, I just pulled the machine around because I did not know how to operate the hoe properly. Can you dig a trench with yours or does the ground have to be really soft.

/ Looking at the MF GC1720 #9  
I would not in any way consider my GC1715 as a toy. In fact just the reverse . . because it is nimble it is still important to remember that it can break things easily.

Also . . Every size of tractor has it's limitations and a GC17xx is no different. I've been surprised just how much I can do with my GC . . Whether its plowing/bucketing deep snow or lifting heavy pallets.

I opted to not buy a Kubota BX or a JD 1025/6 or a Mahindra once I met and tested the GC17xx.products.

I don't have "spinning wheels" as an issue. In fact I didn't expect I could drive on my lawn with 6 or more inches of snow more like an atv than a tractor . . And that is with turfs and no lawn damage (except during spring thaw of course).

And once I add a grapple and remote to the mix there will be only one item remaining . ..a unique plow for my fel. If there is one limitation I have . . I still have to work more on my "level sightedness" relating to my fork usage. I still leave too many marks on concrete or lawn because the forks are tipped forward or backward too much near ground level when I'm dropping off a skid . . but thats my weakness . . not the tractors lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's advice, I just noticed the MF GC1720TLB at the dealer has a DL95 loader and a CB65 backhoe, but the brochure he gave me shows a DL100 loader and a CB05 backhoe. Why is that?