Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060?

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #21  
I own a Massey GC1710. Very pleased with it. Have 45 hours on it now at a 2 acre property.

For another property, about 90 acres, doing mowing and clearing logs and brush, I had settled on a Kubota Grand L6060 cab model. Well over $60,000 with goodies and attachments. But no dickering yet. And I haven't signed any agreement yet.

My Massey dealer just suggested a Massey 1758 instead. Cab model. I don't know anything about them. I've seen a L6060 cab model at the Kubota dealer, but nobody has a 1758 near me. So its an evaluation of what I have seen versus what I read about or see on youtube.

How do you compare a Massey 1758 with a Grand L6060 from Kubota?

I responded to your post in the Kubota forum but add a bit more here.

As I said in the Kubota forum, the MF CUTs and SCUTs are quality units made by Iseki in Japan. Unlike some other products offered by MF, I have no aversion the the Iseki made tractors, and considering your previous relationship with your local MF dealer and the lack of response from the Kubota dealers that you have contacted, you may want to revisit your MF dealer.

Though I once had MF literature for the CUT line, I disposed all such MF literature after bad treatment by both MF and their local dealers so am working from memory here regarding the 1758.

As I recall, the 1758 has more cubic inches and operates at a lower RPM than does the 148.5 CI engine in the 6060. This is attractive to me as I am old school and prefer CI to RPM, turbos, etc. That said, the MF engine produces noticeably less HP than does the engine in the 6060. Though cannot state with certainly, I expect that the 1758 uses less fuel than does the 6060, which is a well known fuel hog. I can put over 3 GPH through mine if working it hard. Indeed, it will use more fuel than my M9960 to do the same work. It will probably use more GPH than the 9960 while doing the same work.

The HST in the 6060 is absolute top of the line, though the software controlling the Stall Guard and Auto HDS could be improved as I have found annoying conditions where the Stall Guard and Auto HDS will fight one another. I have not operated the 1758 co cannot comment.

I also cannot comment regarding cabs as I cannot use cab tractors for my work so all of my tractors are open station.

I researched both before buying my L6060, and decided on the 6060 due to higher PTO HP of the 6060 and previous ill treatment by MF and their local dealer regarding other new MF tractor purchases.

That said, your dealer situation may be different than mine.

SDT

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #22  
A significant medical event ten years ago wreaked havoc on my musco-skeletal system. I'm able-bodied to a certain degree, mostly reasonable, and most days are good but some are not. To use a tractor, I will be either getting up and down from it, or getting in and out of the cab, chaining logs etc. Or hooking up a bush hog mower here or box scraper there. On top of doing those things, when I think of adding in the clutching for gear shifts compared to the ease of the HST system, the HST seems very desirable. One reason I bought the Massey GC1710 vs the Kubota was the dual pedals were easier to operate than the toe/heel "treadle."

I have operated lots of machinery from motorcycles, trenchers, construction equipment, all kinds of vehicles, tractors, airplanes, etc. I have found I am adaptable to any of them-- I just figure out my process for doing the work based on the operation (and quirks) of the machine and then get after doing it. I got only a rudimentary explanation of how to operate the 1759 today, but after a short time, operating it on my own, I had the operational controls reasonably figured out, selecting ranges, gears, etc and maneuvering around the dealer lot pretty good. I'm sure I can effectively use either transmission to get my needed work done-- it's just the thought of pushing on that $#$$ lever all the time versus not. So my tranny choice is more comfort than function. OK I guess that's about as lazy as it gets!

I noticed on the 1759 when the rpm's are up the loader can move up and down so rapidly at full lever detent that if you stop it too quickly you can bounce the tractor pretty good. I quickly got much more nimble when cycling the loader. My little GC1710 is not strong enough to do that. And it seemed the wheels and tires on the 1759 were *much* larger than the Kubota L6060 I looked at. Not sure, but it seemed that way. This 1759 was parked next to a row of GC sub compacts so maybe it was just a visual thing. I wish I could try both side-by-side but that's not going to happen.

I need to check but I think the PTO power output on the Kubota L6060 is significantly higher than the Massey 1758/59. I want the option to upgrade to a 10' bush hog in the future so I will check to verify the PTO power is appropriate for what I might want to connect it to in the future.

All in all, the Massey seemed like a very nice tractor. Two very competitive products-- the 1759/58 versus the Kubota L6060. I have not looked at the Deere equivalent but I presume it would be comparable. I really don't know anything about Deere and the shopping is already complicated enough!

PH:

Additional comments: Yes, the hydro pedal on the 6060 is awful, and the guy that designed it ought to be looking for another job.

You need a reality check regarding a 10' rotary cutter. I have 5,6,7 and 10.5' HD rotary cutters, and have been mowing with various equipment in various conditions for over 40 years. I use a 6' cutter on the 6060. It's all it wants most of the time when doing the work that I do and it requires front weights. I use a 7' cutter on my M9960 most of the time and the 10.5' mounted cutter sometimes. The 9960 has EPTO (overdriven PTO to operate PTO driven equipment at lower engine RPM in order to save fuel when doing light work). I operate the 7' cutter in EPTO with the 90 PTO HP 9960 and it's often all it wants. I do not (cannot) use EPTO mode when operating the 10.5' cutter with the 90 PTO HP M9960 and it's still oftentimes all that it wants. Yes, I do mow as fast as my equipment and ground conditions permit.

Moreover, my Woods MDS1260 10'5 cutter with F & R chain shielding weighs nearly 3000 lbs. Don't even consider anything larger than a light duty (light weight) mounted 7' rotary cutter for a 6060 (6' for 1758/9) in anything but absolutely IDEAL conditions (light cover, level ground, slow ground speed, pull type mower).

FWIW, the JD 4066R also has EPTO but I doubt that you would be able to use it often with a 6' cutter.

SDT

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #23  
PH:

Additional comments: Yes, the hydro pedal on the 6060 is awful, and the guy that designed it ought to be looking for another job.

You need a reality check regarding a 10' rotary cutter. I have 5,6,7 and 10.5' HD rotary cutters, and have been mowing with various equipment in various conditions for over 40 years. I use a 6' cutter on the 6060. It's all it wants most of the time when doing the work that I do and it requires front weights. I use a 7' cutter on my M9960 most of the time and the 10.5' mounted cutter sometimes. The 9960 has EPTO (overdriven PTO to operate PTO driven equipment at lower engine RPM in order to save fuel when doing light work). I operate the 7' cutter in EPTO with the 90 PTO HP 9960 and it's often all it wants. I do not (cannot) use EPTO mode when operating the 10.5' cutter with the 90 PTO HP M9960 and it's still oftentimes all that it wants. Yes, I do mow as fast as my equipment and ground conditions permit.

Moreover, my Woods MDS1260 10'5 cutter with F & R chain shielding weighs nearly 3000 lbs. Don't even consider anything larger than a light duty (light weight) mounted 7' rotary cutter for a 6060 (6' for 1758/9) in anything but absolutely IDEAL conditions (light cover, level ground, slow ground speed, pull type mower).

FWIW, the JD 4066R also has EPTO but I doubt that you would be able to use it often with a 6' cutter.

SDT
I agree/disagree with this post in regards to cutter size, though there can be room for some subjectivity depending on the material being cut.

I agree in that you should not even consider using a 10.5ft cutter on these sized tractors.

I disagree than you shouldn't run larger than a 6ft cutter on the 1758. I ran an 8ft dual blade cutter on my 1652 with little effort. I run a 90" flail on my 1652 and it easily handles it. A 7 footer would be a good size for the 1758... The downside being that they are much more expensive to purchase.

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060?
For the first summer, I am going to use a 6' rotary cutter and see how that goes. Since I will have a cab, mowing for a longer period should be less of an issue, reducing somewhat the desire for a larger mower. A 36hp tractor has mowed this area for many years with a 6' mower.

I saw many 8-10 foot mowers that were rated at 45-xx horse. The Massey PTO is 44 if I recall correctly. I don't like to undersize things but I felt a 1hp difference might not preclude me from making one of those choices in mowers. Never considered the tractor frame size versus larger than a 6' mower. I have no experience with that.

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #25  
Forgive me, but I am on a personal mission to dispel the "precision" myth of hst over gear. That advantage does not exist.
There are two things a Hydro does better than gear: speed and precision. In probably that order.

If we're talking industrial machines like skid-steers and payloaders where the hydraulics are really, really good, then the difference is even MORE drastic than farm tractors.

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #26  
For the first summer, I am going to use a 6' rotary cutter and see how that goes. Since I will have a cab, mowing for a longer period should be less of an issue, reducing somewhat the desire for a larger mower. A 36hp tractor has mowed this area for many years with a 6' mower.

I saw many 8-10 foot mowers that were rated at 45-xx horse. The Massey PTO is 44 if I recall correctly. I don't like to undersize things but I felt a 1hp difference might not preclude me from making one of those choices in mowers. Never considered the tractor frame size versus larger than a 6' mower. I have no experience with that.

You're spending your money so do as you like.

That said, Implement (mower) companies print(post) materials in order to sell mowers.

If you are convinced that you can pull a 8' 10' mower with a 45-60 HP mower, knock yourself out.

I've been mowing with multiple tractors and multiple mowers in multiple conditions for decades, and I would not even consider anything larger than a 6' cutter with a tractor having less than 60 PTO HP in anything other than absolutely IDEAL conditions unless you like to mow SLOWLY. Even then, do not specify anything larger than a mounted 7' HD cutter for use with anything other than a heavy 60 HP tractor unless you do not plan to lift it on anything other than relatively flat ground.

It's your money so do as you like.

SDT

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #27  
This is just anecdotal, but we've been mowing various fields and pastures with a 60" Woods behind my 1643 Hydro for a couple years now.

I'm not sure how much of a mower the 1758 could handle, but it obviously must be bigger than a 60" unit.

ETA: I've seen a 1758, and while it is larger than a 1643, it isn't what I'd necessarily call significantly larger. I'd think a 72" would be easy and an 84" doable for that tractor. I agree that a 96" mower would seem to be too large for a 1758.

/ Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #28  
A significant medical event ten years ago wreaked havoc on my musco-skeletal system. I'm able-bodied to a certain degree, mostly reasonable, and most days are good but some are not.

When I think of adding in the clutching for gear shifts compared to the ease of the HST system, the HST seems very desirable. One reason I bought the Massey GC1710 vs the Kubota was the dual pedals were easier to operate than the toe/heel "treadle."

The only "suspension" in tractors are the pneumatic tires. R4/industrial tires are usually six-ply, which makes them nearly puncture proof but the stiff sidewalls yield a stiff ride. As you are buying new, consider RADIAL tractor tires which are reputed to give a smoother ride and have lower recommended air pressures. Michelin, no surprise, is the big name but there are others. When I bought my Grand L in 2013 radials were an extra cost factory option. Radial tractor tires are bulbous, like the Michelin man himself. Radial tires have a larger ground contact 'patch' than other tractor tires due to both bulbous shape and low inflation pressures.

LINK: Google

I use the ball of my foot on the FORWARD part of my Grand L HST pedal, pivot on the heel and use the ball of foot again on REVERSE part of HST pedal. Never think of it. Completely habit.

The response speed of all Kubota HST/PLUS controls can be set by the operator through the INTELLIPANEL. I am old. I have response speeds reduced to 80% of normal.

Last edited:
   / Is a Massery 1758 as "Grand" as a Kubota Grand L6060? #30  
Never operated a 1758 but did look one over recently.Compared to my L4240(Both were cabbed models) the MF seemed smaller all around and the fit and finish to me anyway; was less than Kubota's.I must say the owner is very happy with it.