Disabling seat and neutral safety features.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #1  

willysmb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1736
I have a Massey 1736 with only about 12 hours on it. I really like the tractor but have already gotten annoyed with both the neutral safety switch and the switch that shuts off the tractor when you get off the seat. I can completely see this function as being important in a gear tractor but in a Hydro I really do not see the point. I bought a tractor without a cab because with my usage I am on and off it a lot. my one major complaint about this tractor is the shifter because it does not shift very smooth to or from neutral. I tried putting on the parking break but even that does not work to keep the tractor running while you get off of it. It sucks to have to fiddle with the switch or sometimes 10 to 20 seconds just to jump off and back on.

Has anyone modified this to remove the seat weight safety feature? I imagine if I got rid of that one I would be happy with it. I would not mind having to go to a neutral to start the tractor just hoping I can not have to go to neutral every time I want to get off the tractor.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #2  
I can completely see this function as being important in a gear tractor but in a
Hydro I really do not see the point.

I do not know your tractor, but I agree that a neutral safety switch on an HST tractor makes it actually
LESS safe. The range shift on most HST tractors is unsynchonized and not easy to shift, and when in
neutral, the tractor can roll away.

My tractor originally had only one safety switch, a foot clutch switch, which I disabled. Everyone needs
to decide for themself what works for them.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #3  
Hang a bungee cord on he back of the seat. It may hook on something and hold the seat down. If that works and you like it there are numerous ways to alter the switch.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #4  
If you flip the seat up (it flips up, right?) there should be a two wire connector underneath. Unplug it. See if the tractor runs. If it doesn't, you'll need to connect the two wires together. I'll let you decide how to do that if you need to, but I will say PLEASE don't use a crappy scotchlock... :)

It seems odd that a hydro tractor would need to be in N to start, but I only drove one, and I don't remember if it needed to be in N or not... It was an LS, so really doesn't matter.
I suppose Hydro can creep or even take off if the pedal gets stuck down a bit for either direction, so perhaps it does make a tiny bit of sense... I can see needing to apply the brake though... I wonder if you can override the need for N by setting the parking brake?

My tractor won't start if the shuttle is in gear, but that's the only safety left, and I like it. According to AGCO, there is a place for a seat switch, but evidently my tractor didn't get one.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features.
That was my initial thought that I could override the need for neutral by setting the parking brake. Unfortunately that does not work.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #6  
I wonder if you could move the N safety to the brake, so setting the parking brake or stepping on the brake would allow a start without putting the range selector in N. That seems safer than just disabling the N switch and always allowing a start, plus it encourages you to always set the parking brake, which isn't a bad habit...

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features.
I could live with that. I don't mind setting the parking break at all. I don't even mind the neutral start that much but the reason I bought a Hydro tractor Was because I knew I was going to be on and off at a bunch and maneuvering in tight spaces. I can't even stand up to get a better view without it shutting down.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #8  
Yeah, sounds like step 1 is to disable the seat switch. That should be REALLY easy. Try unplugging the switch. If that doesn't work, then splice the wires together. Done. :)

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #9  
I was traveling across the property with a bucket full of stuff to go dump and ran across a wash out that turned into a fairly large sink hole. It happened so quickly that I didn't have time to do much of anything as the tractor flipped on it's side. My weight shifted in the seat and shut the engine down instantly. I ran next door where I could hear my neighbors tractor running and he came over and helped upright the dam thing. I let it sit until all the fluids had settled back down and everything was OK, the tractor was about a month old and has run fine since (5 years ago). Just before this happened, I was deliberating on whether or not to disable the seat safety switch. Glad I didn't do it; if that tractor hadn't shut down immediately I'm not sure it wouldn't have damaged the engine. Possibly running without adequate oil and causing many additional problems. That's when I decided to leave all the safety switches alone, they are there for a good reason. But, it is frustrating when you get on and off the machine often, it does get easier over time.

/ Disabling seat and neutral safety features. #10  
Some seat switches can be fooled with just a zip tie around the little arm lever switch activator thingy. Easy to remove just in case you need to call your insurance man.:laughing: