Buying Advice Is there a MF in my future?

/ Is there a MF in my future? #1  

def38

Platinum Member
Tractor
M-F 231S
I have 5 acres that I am about to plant in wheat and hulled Bermuda. The land is rolling with some trees and open areas. I'll cut and disc in the wheat next season and await the Bermuda. Eventually, there will be some houses and buildings on the property but the bulk will remain grass with some fruit trees and vegtables...no livestock other than my 6 lb. Chihuahua, Ginger.

The MF 231s looks like a good machine but, I am having trouble finding one with a FEL. Also, does the 231s have adequate power for disc, flail mower, some digging and moving dirt as well as possible plowing a few acres?

Also, are there things I should be aware of when selecting a 231s? Or, are there more suitable models I should consider? What hydraulics will the MF need for my duties?

This will be the first tractor I have owned. I have never even operated a tractor although I did work on the Wm. McCormick Blair farm years ago. The McCormicks and Blairs figured prominently in the IH company back in the day. The farm was awash in IH tractors of varying sizes.

Once I'm a tractor owner, I'll likely have more questions about care and feeding so, keep me pointed in the right direction.

/ Is there a MF in my future? #2  
While they are great older tractors, I don't know that a MF231 would be my primary tractor if it had a loader and I lived in the mountains as you do. 2WD tractors with loaders notoriously struggle with traction. I'd look for something with 4WD. A MF231 would be a good backup tractor for many duties.

/ Is there a MF in my future? #3  
I agree. 2 wheel drive units with loaders are very ineffective unless you are doing very light work. I'm guessing somewhat on this but I expect you need 2 or 3 times the tractor in 2 wheel drive vs a smaller unit in 4x4. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm this.

/ Is there a MF in my future?
OK, I bought the 231S. It is a 2003 with low hours, VG tires new seat and clean. The only thing I'll need to address are the lights don't work.

I'll start with a box blade and flail mower.

I'm looking for a used FEL. What hydraulics will I need to install for a FEL? Also, I am not finding a FEL for the 231S model. Any thoughts as to where, what manufacturer, etc.?

Your help is appreciated.

/ Is there a MF in my future? #5  
Checked MF dealers yet ? I would be surprise they still have something for that older model tractor...or maybe adapt a newer MF model loader to yours ?
I know older MF had Allied loaders, they were blue...might check those.