1705 vs 1715

/ 1705 vs 1715 #1  

gunner76

Tractor
MF GC1715
is it worth the extra $1k to go up to the 1715 since it only has an extra 3hp and everything else is pretty much the same spec wise.

/ 1705 vs 1715 #2  
For me, it was a $2k difference. The primary difference was a better seat. I saved the money .... I'm very pleased with my GC1710. Seat is fine. Plenty of power.

Others know more than me, but it seems that with diesel engines the torque is maybe more important than horsepower. I'd think the torque ratings are pretty similar even with a slight HP difference. Might be something to check out?

/ 1705 vs 1715 #3  
If your using ground engagement implement's off the 3 point or a snow blower on the front, get the 1715. Otherwise get the 1705. I have not ran into anything yet, including wet rock in a big pile, where I needed more power.

/ 1705 vs 1715 #4  
Main differences are:
-- 2.5 more HP (achieved by increasing max rpm and a different PTO ratio to maintain standard PTO rpm at max HP)
-- Better seat (although I find the cheaper one just fine since I'm not on it all day every day)
-- Slightly different foot pedal shape (didn't feel any better or worse to me when I compared)
-- Metal guards around the ROPS lights (can be added from the parts bin for about $70)
-- Work light (brighter LED lights are available aftermarket for little money)

To me it wasn't worth the extra ~$1200. I bought a 1710 (basically a 1705 with backhoe) and added the light guards since they seem useful. I don't use my tractor much and don't plan on doing heavy plowing and so far it has been a great machine. I have not missed any of the 1720 upgrades.

/ 1705 vs 1715 #5  
I have a 1705 and don't have a problem moving stone, dirt, or anything else a guy wants to use a tractor for. I upgraded my seat so that I would have arm rests. I couldn't believe it didn't have arm rests. Seems dumb to me. I also upgraded my lights. i believe the extra added cost is not worth it but my usage is probably different from yours. I have no intended use for a backhoe and if i do it makes more sense to rent an mini excavator to me. If you don't plan on using the tractor with backhoe attachment then you should just get a 1705. Makes sense to me.

/ 1705 vs 1715 #6  
I have a 1705 and don't have a problem moving stone, dirt, or anything else a guy wants to use a tractor for. I upgraded my seat so that I would have arm rests. I couldn't believe it didn't have arm rests. Seems dumb to me. I also upgraded my lights. i believe the extra added cost is not worth it but my usage is probably different from yours. I have no intended use for a backhoe and if i do it makes more sense to rent an mini excavator to me. If you don't plan on using the tractor with backhoe attachment then you should just get a 1705. Makes sense to me.

I went thru the same thing deciding between a GC1710 and GC1720. Biggest advantage I saw was the seat, as the GC1710 or GC1705 seat is in my opinion, horrible. Did you buy the new seat from Massey or is it an after market ??? I priced out the Massey seat and it was close to 1K !

/ 1705 vs 1715 #7  
is it worth the extra $1k to go up to the 1715 since it only has an extra 3hp and everything else is pretty much the same spec wise.

One of the things you'll likely find is if someone bought a 1705 they'll say it isn't worth the difference lol. Well I bought a gc1715. I'm sure a gc1705 is a great machine. But here are things to consider:

1a. Most will highlight the seat. . But unless you have looked close you'll miss 3 big things about the seat. The gray seat on the gc1715 is "material formed" which means it will keep it's shape locked in place for years. The gc1705 gray seat is "material loose" so it flattens as it is used. Better back support and better side support come with the formed unit (comfortable but supportive).

1b. Under neath the gray seat on the gc1715 it has an entirely different metal bracketing structure which allows you to reverse the seat adjuster stop and gain about 3 more inches of leg room with no cutting or drilling or misalignment with sensors. the only thing it does is give you more room with no negatives. unscrew 2 bolts - spin the stop bracket 180 degrees and refasten the 2 bolts and you're done.

1c. The gc1705 is a coil suspension seat. The gc1715 is both coil and spring suspension. Soooooo . . . If you are on a washboard lawn or rough surface driveway or road etc., the gc1715 seat absorbs frequent small bumps better. In other words. . You don't get jostled about, because the spring suspension portion absorbs the smaller or more frequent bumps. Think of it like a car - you have springs and you have shocks both working together.

2. Now about the power differences. Not only do you add a few more HP but you also get an increased hydraulic pumps output.

Many ground engaging implements have suggested PTO hp needs. So how does added hydraulic pumps output and additional hp help other than for 3pt ground engaging? It means that you also get greater lift for a bucket or forks or grapple. As an example, at 2500 rpm I lift a pallet of landscape blocks xxx in quantity and lift it 42 inches. But becuase of the GC1715 design differences I can be at 3000 rpm and can add additional blocks onto that exact same existing pallet load and lift them to the same 42 inch height. Same with logs in a grapple or ????

And what about for mmm use. I have the dedicated MF mulching deck. With it I can cut up to 7 inch grasses without any problems even damp. And if it gets really healthy and thick grasses - I can further increase the hp available to keep a clean cut.

3. Then as mentioned there are the steel guards on the directionals is a plus and also there is an additional worklight wired and working on the ROPS. And if you want to make it led. . Then the wiring and mounting are already in place and you simply take off the existing light and put on an led. . Quick and fast. No wiring or rewiring to do.

Now seats on the gc1710 and gc1720 is another whole story because of the swivel situation once again bracketing is different.

Summary: Am I glad I spent $1100 for the gc1715 over the gc1705 ??? Though money is dear to me, I'd absolutely do it again. I notice big differences in combined comfort benefits and power differences in performance for my purposes. I'd say the same physical sizing benefits and convenience of a MF GC tractor and implement usage . . . . but with 10% more power and XX% more comfort I think it is worth the 8% change in price especially if you have a dl95 loader which offers higher weight limits compared to the dl100 loader. Or if you are using a mmm on a quality lawn that doesn't always have 4 inch grass and no dampness to it.

But both the GC 1705 and GC1715 are not only popular tractors - but also great performers. Its all based on buyers needs.

Last edited:
   / 1705 vs 1715 #8  
I went thru the same thing deciding between a GC1710 and GC1720. Biggest advantage I saw was the seat, as the GC1710 or GC1705 seat is in my opinion, horrible. Did you buy the new seat from Massey or is it an after market ??? I priced out the Massey seat and it was close to 1K !

Mine was 400 still expensive but oh well

/ 1705 vs 1715 #9  
Edwardian, for 400 dollars did you get just the physical seat or did you also get the bracketry and slide mechanism/coil springs etc?

/ 1705 vs 1715 #10  
It does have the coil springs but unsure about everything else. Im out of state for work or id look.