Signed the order for a GC1720 today

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #1  

frugalangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
First let me introduce myself. I've been lurking and reading a ) ot on the candidate SCUT or CUT models I considered. Thanks to all here and in all the other brand specific forums for sharing your own experiences, and some of the humor.

I'll make a post in the general buying area that details better my own comparison data, and what ultimately sealed the deal.

Also, I know it ain't so without pics so when she comes home I'll shoot some. Just really wanted to say hi and thanks as all your input was valuable information.

Hi

Thanks

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #2  
I had the same experience so I pass on information when I can and you are welcome.

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #3  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Frugal. We are glad that you went ahead and joined with us.

Congrats on your new Tractor. Yes, pictures are very much appreciated.

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #4  
Congratulations!! It's a great machine.

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today
I've recently purchased a Massey Ferguson GC1720, and thought others might be interested in the decision points I had for my selection, and some of the observed differences in the tractors I looked at.
First, here's some of my requirements:
1. Small size
My work area is crowded w/ a lot of trees and other obstacles.
2. TLB
I only would consider a sub-frame backhoe, I don't believe a SCUT is strong enough framed for a 3PH backhoe.
Desired Float on both FEL and BH, and lock on the FEL Joystick.
3. Higher capacities on FEL, BH, and 3PH
If I'm spending this much I want the most capable unit economically feasible.
The BH needs to be capable of ripping roots and stumps
4. Reputable brand and dealer support
I don't want to be stranded by either lack of service or parts
5. Price
It's my hard earned $$ and I need the best value for them.
6. Rough cut and finish mower capable
I do need to be able to mow some acreage for family as well as my lot.
7. Ease of operation
The wife may need to operate, although she grew up on tractors, it's been years ago

So, I don't think my requirements are vastly different from a lot of folks, but I'm a logical person so I always start with "What problem am I trying to solve?" hence the list above.

I ended up researching 10 different brands I went into this totally color blind, I have no allegiance to any particular brand. It's more about: Can it do the job I need done for the price I am willing to spend.

BRAND & MODEL LIST
1. Branson
2400 and 2400H
2. LS
MT125-24.7
XJ2025 and XJ2025H
3. New Holland
Boomer 24
4. Mahindra
eMAX 25S HST
MAX 26XL
MAX 24 HST
5. Kioti
CS2510
CK2510
6. TYM
T254 HST
FX22D gray market refurb
7. NorTrac
25XT
8. Kubota
BX2670
BX2680
9. John Deere
1025R
10. Massey Ferguson
GC1720

OBSERVATIONS
1. Branson
2400 and 2400H
Branson makes a great tractor, I consider it a CUT class. It ended up being a 2nd runner-up of three in my choices. There are 2 primary considerations that prevented it from being 1st choice:
There is very poor dealer representation in my area the closest 租ealer was nearly a 5 hour drive from where I am, and the dealers generally were not "Tractor dealers", but some form of hardware or machinery dealer that took on Branson as a product line. I'm just not confident in buying something that where I buy it from is not their core competency. If it weren't for the dealer aspect, I'd have a Branson 2400H TLB/MMM on my trailer.
2. LS
MT125-24.7
XJ2025 and XJ2025H
LS also makes a great tractor, case in point that New Holland sells the Boomer 24 as a re-badged LS XJ series. I discounted the XJ series mainly because of size and cost, even though I considered the Branson which is comparable in size, the Branson was considerably less expensive. I did seriously consider the MT125, it actually was 3rd runner-up but lacked a couple features (the one I looked at didn稚 have FEL or BH float) and it痴 PTO and FEL ratings were the lowest of the 3 final considered. But, it was also the lowest cost tractor of the 3 by nearly $2K or more, but price is not always the biggest driver!
3. New Holland
Boomer 24
Again, since it痴 really a LS in disguise, it痴 a great tractor, but it simply was priced WAY out of contention and since the dealer network for LS is great in my neck of the woods, there is simply no advantage to buying a NH for me.
4. Mahindra
eMAX 25S HST
MAX 26XL
MAX 24 HST
Here's where it gets really interesting! The eMAX 25S HST is a good tractor fundamentally, but there were a few things that it didn't have that I considered fundamental. Also, I located a NOS unit that was very deeply discounted (a previous year model, but it had been sitting on the lot for roughly 18 months and showed it in faded knobs, etc.) That NOS was very enticing from a price standpoint, being nearly $2K less than even the lowest priced new LS. But, the lack of float on both the FEL and BH, no lockout on the FEL joystick, and the NOS FEL was the old single cylinder design (they obviously redesigned it for a reason) made it a wallet attraction, but I just couldn't warm up to it. The price point on new ones was significantly higher, and without the features, it became a non-contender.
I also considered a MAX 26XL simply because there was a NOS unit available that put it in the price range of the others, and being a CUT class had greater overall capacities, but it was only available in a gear model, and from an ease of operation standpoint for my purpose, it was discounted.
5. Kioti
CS2510
CK2510
Kioti also appears to build a good tractor, it had competitive capabilities to all the others in both the SCUT and CUT class, but when it came to purchase price, it was $3K to $5Kmore so it was discounted.
6. TYM
T254 HST
FX22D gray market refurb
TYM appears to be very good, but unfortunately the dealer network around me is scarce, with the nearest dealer of good reputation being about 7 hours away. The TYM T254 being a CUT class had excellent capabilities, but for its class it was quite narrow which made me leery of stability. Price wise, it was right in there with the top 3, but I just couldn't put my faith in the dealer support model I'd be getting.
I also considered (for a very short time) a refurbished FX22D, but I again couldn't warm up to buying a 30 year old tractor, not having a sub-frame BH, and not having great dealer support, plus it would have only saved about $3K, which could easily get swallowed up in repair cost since there is not multi-year warranty.
7. NorTrac
25XT
I like doing business with Northern Tool, I've bought a lot of tools and such, and my experience with them has been very good. I purchased a generator years ago mail order (before the days of internet being prominent) and it destroyed its self on first start-up. Northern made good on it by replacing it (they didn't have the same unit in stock), paying shipping both ways, and provided a replacement of greater capacity at no additional charges. But, I just couldn't warm up to buying a tractor via mail order, so to speak, and not having a true brick and mortar dealer available. Also, it appeared their BH was a 3PH and fundamentally one of my requirements was it be a sub-frame unit.
8. Kubota
BX2670
BX2680
It's no doubt that Kubota is a leader in the small tractor world. There are dealers everywhere, the product is good, but with that comes a price, and quite honestly being there are many alternatives I just couldn't justify paying $$$ for the same quality of product and capabilities that I could get for less $$$. This was a price decision to discount them from my further consideration.
9. John Deere
1025R
It's no doubt that John Deere is also a leader in the small tractor world. I've owned 2 green lawn/garden tractors and they were tremendous units. There are dealers everywhere, the product is good, but with that comes a price, and quite honestly being there are many alternatives I just couldn't justify paying $$$ for the same quality of product and capabilities that I could get for less $$$$. This was a price decision to discount them from my further consideration. Yes, their "drive and go" deck is pretty slick, but to me that is not an attraction, and even a FEL you can detach from the platform doesn't attract me.

10. Massey Ferguson
GC1720
This became the #1 choice. It was not the least expensive, actually it was the second least expensive, but comparatively it was the most feature rich of all the SCUTs. Its capabilities were either first or second among all the SCUTs also. Yes, it is not as capable in some areas as the CUTs I researched, but either price or dealer aspects were the differentiation in my decision. I don't expect to ever need my dealer for warranty service, as I believe the unit is very high quality, but knowing I don't have to drive 5 to 7 hours back to my purchasing dealer for warranty service means quite a lot. Plus, there are 5 Massey Ferguson dealers within about a 90 minute radius should I need parts for maintenance. Key features that weren't available on some of the other models were FEL Float, BH Boom Float, Joystick lock, all metal panels, dual pedal HST, position 3PH, so all in all this became the best choice for my purpose.

When I first started out on this venture, I discounted what many had said, being the dealer is everything! What I came to realization is tractor warranty and service is vastly different from auto/truck warranty/service. Tractor warranty is fundamentally tied to the original purchase dealer! Yes, you can transfer the warranty in some cases, but in many cases I found that there are some dealers that hesitant to accept a transfer, or they will charge the difference in their OTC shop rates for parts and labor from what is reimbursed from the manufacturer, whereby an auto/truck warranty is honored at any dealership regardless of where you purchase! After I learned that and it sunk in, dealership support and availability became a major factor in my decision, not the only factor like many propose, but it became the final deciding factor when it came to the 2 final candidates.

Hopefully, being that this is a rather long post I didn't bore folks, if so I'm sorry, but I really wanted to share as much as what I learned being a newbie to the small tractor world as possible.

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #6  
Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it up!

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #7  
thanks for sharing

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today
Saw this got a bump, so I thought I'd do a quick 6 months review -
So far I'm right at 50 hrs on it
It's ripped out a number of stumps using the BH and the ripper tooth, does well if the stumps have lateral roots, but I've run into a few that didn't and were 'tap root' type that I ended up digging around w/ the BH and then hooking a chain to the Jeep to pull out.
I've dug a a couple trenches to bury PVC drainage pipes - I found the bucket float function on the BH a great aid in digging a flat bottom trench, at least for me as I'd not run a BH in many years.
I've since acquired a 3PH PTO Chipper/Shredder that I've used to grind up 4 large piles of brush, I've yet to hear it drop RPM even chewing on the biggest limb I could shove down it's throat - about 4" or so.

Dislikes, well not really much, I was skeptical of the lights on the ROPS because they stuck out like elephant ears, well only one does now, the other got clipped by one of the 40+ hickory trees I have to mow around, and yep I got a little too close and one jumped out and grabbed a light! I've got LED replacement bar lights to surface mount on the ROPS as a winter project, but since it doesn't drive on roads, not a big deal.
I still don't care for the swivel seat for the BH, I'd much preferred a different arrangement, but have found that if I remove the backrest, I can swivel the seat once, then when I need to relocate the tractor, I can operate it safely with the seat in the BH position (mainly because I'm tall and can reach all controls).

Likes, well a few subtle ones, like the rear facing radiator, it doesn't suck up the trash and clippings as bad as others mounted in the front, I check the screen every time I start the day, but there's never anything on it.
The float on the BH is a plus, makes level trenching and back-filling much easier. Removal and attachment of the BH and the FEL are a snap, and not having to mess w/ the 3PH other than disconnecting the stabilizers is nice, I've seen others that require some much more drastic work to change over.

Dealer, at first I didn't place a lot of emphasis on the dealer experience, have recognized that ag equipment is drastically different than the automotive world, and am satisfied that I chose a very good dealer close by, he's not the 10 minutes away close, but actually in-between my main home and my country property, so access to his facility is 'on the way'. And, he's been great to work with.

So, I can whole heatedly say I'd recommend this unit to a friend!

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #9  
I would recommend them as well. I have 170 hours on my 1705. Its been a great machine. I bought it brand new in the spring of 2016.

/ Signed the order for a GC1720 today #10  
No idea what a bucked float function is, on either the loader or the backhoe. Would you mind enlightening a noob?

But, I am looking at getting a Massey Ferguson either 1710 GC or 1720 GC. Thank you for the write-up.

You are right, some of the other color tractors are horrifyingly expensive. A dealer next to me as a Massey 1705 GC with loader for about 11,500 new...not sure if it's a good price or not...