Question on 1643 loader?? And tractor

/ Question on 1643 loader?? And tractor #1  

yukonhunter

Silver Member
Tractor
John deere 5100m, mf1643 cab and kubota bx2370woods bb720x land pride disc and reverse tiller
Thinking on buying a 1643, after a few reviews I saw it stated it lacked power in the loader, have you found this true? Also what other pros and cons with this tractor . Thanks

/ Question on 1643 loader?? And tractor #2  
I've owned several Massey tractors over the years. I had a MF1643 for 4 years and approximately 445 hours. I now run a MF1754. IMHO, the loader on the MF1643 was not as powerful as the loader on my MF1240. My comment is based on the MF1643 not being able to pick up and move the the same rocks, logs, etc..., that my MF1240 could easily. As an example, I have a relatively large rock that I had placed with my MF1240. I decided to relocate it using the MF1643. It did pick it up and move it, but not easily. Tractor was definitely struggling with the load. In comparison, to test the MF1754, I picked up that same rock and moved it easily. Doing loader work moving gravel and pavers with a heavy ballast box hanging off the back, the MF1643 always felt to me like it was struggling. In comparison, my previous MF1240 and current MF1754, did/do the same work with ease. Had my dealer check the MF1643 tractor a couple of times and they said it was fine. The overall performance of the MF1643 or lack there of was one of the main reasons why I moved up to a MF1754. Just my 2 cents. I know there are individuals on this site that really like their 1600 series tractors. Hopefully, they will post so you get more information. As a note, my MF1240 and MF1643 were geared tractors, my MF1754 is a hydro.

Obviously, these are my opinions.

Cons:

I was not a fan of the clutch. To me, it was a sloppy clutch (inconsistent feel) after it got hot doing heavy work. Didn't like the powershuttle setup.
Did not like the seating arrangement and cab felt small.
Always felt down on power for a 43 hp tractor which included the loader.
Hydraulics were always jumpy.

Pros:

It was good on fuel. Burned around 1 gallon of diesel an hour pretty much no matter what I did.
Heat and AC was good. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Last edited:
   / Question on 1643 loader?? And tractor #3  
I had a 1540 Powershuttle with loader an now own a 1643 Hydro with loader.

I liked the 1540 and its loader, but the one thing about it that completely outclasses the 1643 loader is the floor-mounted joystick. The hydraulics on both machines are a little jumpy (the 1643 being worse), but he floor-mounted joystick allowed you to ease into every movement more smoothly than the fender-mounted stick on the 1643. In short, the fender-mounted joystick is pretty awful.

Now, as far as lifting power, I have always been impressed with the capability of the loader on this 1643. We switched from small square bales to large round ones, and there are many times when we are unloading and/or moving the big bales at 1,600 or 1,700lbs. Obviously, those weights exceed the loader rating for that tractor, but it still does it, albeit at times with a struggle. In reality, I should be using a larger tractor (a 1652 would be perfect), but I bought a 1643 and that's not going to change any time soon, so I have to make do with what I have.

Overall, I am happy with this 1643. It's a good tractor with an impressive loader for its size. The three biggest gripes I have with this machine are:

A. The grease fittings suck. Absolutely suck. Many don't take grease and need to be replaced, but they are a weird thread that nobody carries. I actually had to re-tap a couple holes and replace the fittings with ones I could actually buy locally, but more need to be replaced and it's time consuming and why on earth should I have to do this crap anyway??

B. The fender-mounted loader joystick sucks. The hydraulics are already jumpy and this joystick doesn't help any.

C. Servicing the Hydro transmission isn't easy. I'm not going to explain it all here (I posted a thread about it previously), but if you have one and have attempted to service it yourself, you will know exactly what I mean.

Aside from those three issues, the 1643 Hydro and loader is a good little tractor. Like I said, in hindsight a 1652 would have been the perfect tractor for what we use it for, but I bought a 1643 instead and that's what we're going to continue using for the foreseeable future.