Buying Advice MF 1754 vs. 1758

/ MF 1754 vs. 1758 #1  

Sparky00

Tractor
Cub Cadet 7254
So I am in need of upgrading my tractor. Initially I was looking at a 1742 cab model as it would fit my needs now, however doesn稚 seem quite big enough if I upgraded my airblast sprayer from 50 to 100 gal. (100 gal requires 35hp PTO due to larger fan). So, my thoughts are to just suck it up and pay the extra 24-25% and get a 1754 HST or 1758. There is not too much difference in price at the dealer I am looking at (apx. $1500). Any thoughts or ideas? Or maybe you all think the 1742 HST will be good? I thank you in advance as I am new here!

Last edited:
   / MF 1754 vs. 1758 #2  
Any time you can up-grade horse-power for a similar sized machine for $1500;it's will be worth it.

/ MF 1754 vs. 1758 #3  
If the 1742 is already causing you doubt with possible future power needs, I would say remove it from your list. Much more expensive to upgrade at later date when your anticipated needs become reality.

Unless larger tires involved the 1742 isn't much smaller physically than the 1754/58, that doesn't appear a concern.

So between the 1754 and 1758 sounds like the decision. Looks like same wheelbase, c.i. etc. So is extra pto hp worth it? Your potential needs will dictate. If you can afford it, once and be done with it.

Maybe member TSO will join in with his experience on this particular series of Massey!

Welcome to the forum.

/ MF 1754 vs. 1758 #4  
I had a MF1643 cab geared tractor that I traded for a MF1754 HST hydro tractor. The difference is power was quite noticeable! So, I went from a 43 HP geared tractor to a 54 HP HST tractor. I'm almost at 200 hours on the MF1754 and have yet to find anything that this tractor struggles with power wise in terms of compact tractor use. It is not going to pickup a 10,000 lbs. log. I've moved a lot of snow, dirt, wood and stone with this tractor. No issues. Mow, plow and loader work with it, no issues. I've had some other issues but I think that they are specific to my tractor. You can see my threads if interested.

Here are examples of power difference/loader capability. Had a pretty good size rock (3'x3'x2') on my property, couldn't pick it up with the MF1643. So, I ended up pushing it out of the way. Working on the trail again and needed to move it. The MF1754 picked it up pretty easily! Also, the MF1643 would struggle moving large piles of iced up snow. Would have to take smaller bites with the loader or it just wouldn't pick them up. MF1754 handles them with ease today. As a note, I had the MF1643 checked out twice by a dealer and they verified that it was functioning properly. So, it was what it was.

I had a Massey dealer tell me that the MF1643 geared tractor was equal in power to a MF1754 HST tractor because of the HST transmission. I have not found that to be true.

These are approximates when comparing the MF1742 to the MF1754. The MF1754 weighs 500 lbs. more and has a 6" longer wheelbase. Weight and longer wheelbase are all plusses for getting power to the ground and stability. Also, more lift capacity at the three point (500 lbs.) and loader (600 lbs.) with the MF1754.

It all depends what you are using the tractor for. IMHO, the MF1754 would win out over the MF1742.

You might want to do a search of threads on this forum as some owners of MF1758 HST tractors have reported issues with HST power. Also, forum member, onceacop, has some excellent writeups and reviews of his MF1758.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
   / MF 1754 vs. 1758 #5  
I may be selling my 1652 HST cab loader... Tier 3 machine. Has been absolutely flawless. It's the last version of what is now the 1754. No electronics either. Two sets of rear remotes.

I'll be buying something larger, only reason for selling.

PM me if you're interested.

/ MF 1754 vs. 1758 #6  
Engine displacement is the same on 54, 58, 59 they just tweaked something for a bit more power between models. I would say the 1754 and 1758 probably handle close to the same work. I cut about 4 chords of wood this weekend roading a good 10 miles round trip to a place that has a huge pile of black ash the loggers left. Soft roads and full dump trailer and full bucket with green wood and I am able to pull in high range and maintain speed on the level. 270 hours on my 1758 now. Best tractor I have owned.

March 17 wood.jpg

/ MF 1754 vs. 1758 #7  
I may be selling my 1652 HST cab loader... Tier 3 machine. Has been absolutely flawless. It's the last version of what is now the 1754. No electronics either. Two sets of rear remotes.

I'll be buying something larger, only reason for selling.

PM me if you're interested.
You've been a vocal cheerleader of your 1652 for years. What are you moving up to?

/ MF 1754 vs. 1758 #8  
You've been a vocal cheerleader of your 1652 for years. What are you moving up to?
Yeah it's been a great machine, I'm still torn on getting rid of it.... Should be finishing the deal on another machine today. Then it has to get trucked over to me. I consider the 1652 to be a middle-sized machine, in between an industrial loader and a small CUT. Instead, I'll be going with both a larger and smaller machine as I often have the need for both.

The larger machine I'm making the deal on is a 90's Ford 545d Industrial. Weighs a bit over 10,000 lb, has a 5000 lb loader lift to 11 ft with 8000 lb of Breakout. It has the E/H Shuttle shift with Torque Converter. It'll take some getting used to but it's a substantial jump from the 1652, which is already a strong machine for its size. Still not sure which smaller machine I'll be going with. I'll have to wait and see what my needs are after using this with my other machines for a while.