New GC1705 owner

/ New GC1705 owner
I figured out how to use the float, today. The manual doesn't explain it at all. Kept shoving the lever forward, but it wouldn't engage. Finally gave it a really firm, stiff push and it stayed. This is a function that will come in really handy.

DSC03232.JPG

/ New GC1705 owner #13  
I figured out how to use the float, today. The manual doesn't explain it at all. Kept shoving the lever forward, but it wouldn't engage. Finally gave it a really firm, stiff push and it stayed. This is a function that will come in really handy.

BSRuther, The manual does have a small section on putting it in float - but its short. The key is - not to shove it forward but to shove it at an angle forward (like 1:30 or 2:00 on a clock face). Once you've done it a few times you get the hang of it quickly. Important thing to remember - the float is only tieing up the up and down of the fel - you can still curl or uncurl the bucket while in float mode which allows you to adjust bucket angle or pressure downward applied to the front edge. I use it considerably when I'm clearing snow - also setting it in float mode works great for back dragging dirt or snow or gravel.

/ New GC1705 owner #14  
I use it considerably when I'm clearing snow - also setting it in float mode works great for back dragging dirt or snow or gravel.

Do you put anything on the bucket edge when clearing snow?

/ New GC1705 owner #15  
Do you put anything on the bucket edge when clearing snow?

yes, I bought a "snow edge" by the company that makes the ratchet rake products. it beats the heck out of just using a bucket and it doesn't hsrm blacktop or concrete. its a solid 70 pounds and the wearable art is supposedbto last for 30 hours of use and I'm still on my original one I've used for 3 winters. in Wisconsin that means probably already 80 hours over the 3 years and I've got enough edge to go another year.

/ New GC1705 owner #17  
I also recommend the snow edge, every time I have to plow without it (hardpack ice), I tear something up...lol

/ New GC1705 owner #18  
Did some more thinking about that deflector chute while mowing today. I'm going to flip the hinges, that will allow it to open fully, and be up out of the way. I'm also going to add a spring assist to it, a coil twist style over a shaft. May not get to it until winter, so for now I'm going to shim the bump stops to keep it open a bit more. One of my problems with it is the grass coming out sort of windrows, instead of spreading out.

/ New GC1705 owner
Did some more thinking about that deflector chute while mowing today. I'm going to flip the hinges, that will allow it to open fully, and be up out of the way. I'm also going to add a spring assist to it, a coil twist style over a shaft. May not get to it until winter, so for now I'm going to shim the bump stops to keep it open a bit more. One of my problems with it is the grass coming out sort of windrows, instead of spreading out.

If I could get the chute to flip up to vertical, it would solve my problem, but the hinge is welded to the chute and the hinges are what stops it from going vertical.

/ New GC1705 owner #20  
If I could get the chute to flip up to vertical, it would solve my problem, but the hinge is welded to the chute and the hinges are what stops it from going vertical.

I'm just curious as to the desired outcome regarding the mower chute.

Its wide, long, and solid - which is normally an advantage for durability and grass flow. But it gets in your way for width as well as trailering or storage space too. I get all that. However if the emphasis was on getting the chute off or tipped up all the way - then you have a rather dangerous rock or stick "thrower" to harm kids or animals or house siding or windows - and because the tip speed and power of these units is considerable - the propelling power is much higher than a normal lawn mower as well.

So what is the ultimate answer - as it seems to me that neither of the above 2 choices is the answer. So why not look for a rubber chute to replace the metal chute - possibly in a parts department for cub cadet or john deere lawn mowers etc.. The rubber chute could be shorter (or shortened) and could be "deflectable" where as the Massey chute is far to strong to be considered "deflectable". Would that solve your width issue but still offer protection from flying debris - and not reduce the grass flow to exhaust evenly and out.

Just a suggestion.