Buying Advice New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #1  
D

DoodleLady

Hello all,
My husband and I are quickly approaching the closing date of our new home on 17 acres! Mostly wooded and about 4-6ish acres that will need mowing. Last time hubby and I bought a mower, it was a 16 push reel mower. So, we are definitely out of our element when it comes to a real tractor. We went to the MF dealer the other day and was quoted $17201 for the 0% 84 months including 60 drive over deck and FEL and industrial tires or $15222 at 5.49% 84monthsfor the 1705. I will add that the dealer is conveniently 10 miles up the road. Having not found this website prior to going into the dealer, no negotiations took place. We haven稚 signed up for anything yet but I知 wondering A) does that sound like a good price and B) should we be asking for anything else. Or should we consider getting the 1710 or 1715. As of now our basic need will be grass cutting and snow removal.

I have spent the last serval hours reading through the forum to take in and learn as much as I can but I知 quiet literally starting at 0 with my tractor knowledge. And dear hubby is even further behind than me

We live in the buffalo area so we will be looking to get a snow blower but I do have concerns as our driveway does have a steep incline as well as being gravel. I have heard the term block heater? Is that something I am going to want?

Any insight/tips would be greatly appreciated

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #2  
Hello all,
My husband and I are quickly approaching the closing date of our new home on 17 acres! Mostly wooded and about 4-6ish acres that will need mowing. Last time hubby and I bought a mower, it was a 16 push reel mower. So, we are definitely out of our element when it comes to a real tractor. We went to the MF dealer the other day and was quoted $17201 for the 0% 84 months including 60 drive over deck and FEL and industrial tires or $15222 at 5.49% 84monthsfor the 1705. I will add that the dealer is conveniently 10 miles up the road. Having not found this website prior to going into the dealer, no negotiations took place. We haven稚 signed up for anything yet but I知 wondering A) does that sound like a good price and B) should we be asking for anything else. Or should we consider getting the 1710 or 1715. As of now our basic need will be grass cutting and snow removal.

I have spent the last serval hours reading through the forum to take in and learn as much as I can but I知 quiet literally starting at 0 with my tractor knowledge. And dear hubby is even further behind than me

We live in the buffalo area so we will be looking to get a snow blower but I do have concerns as our driveway does have a steep incline as well as being gravel. I have heard the term block heater? Is that something I am going to want?

Any insight/tips would be greatly appreciated

Block heater is good if you’ll be storing in unheated building, but you do need electricity. If you want this have them throw it in, they will if you push them, very simple install. Check out my threads for what this great tractor can do....the backhoe really is great and you get a HUGE discount if you buy the 1710/20 vs buying later.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #3  
:welcome:
To TBN DoodleLady.

Yes, it is unfortunate that you didn't find us first, as we love to spend other people's money. :D

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #4  
I would say that price should negotiated down. Just like buying a car you should always try and you will likely get some sort of a break. Don't be afraid to start your a few thousand below what they are asking. Either they will play or they won't. I tell this story often to people. I bought my tundra new in 14. I talked them down to a price I felt was reasonable so I asked them to get me the total with taxes. He wrote down tax amount and another line item for 299. I quickly asked what that was for and the salesmen said oh thats the documentation fee. I stood up from his desk and started walking to the door. He says are you serious for a few hundred dollars your gonna walk. I said Yes I will. Needless to say I didn't pay the doc fee. I understand some don't like dealing with dealers in this manner. Its not for everyone and I know people who don't talk the prices down. You might even start your negotiations and they may not budge at all. If they don't then they don't. If you have a dealer not much further from you. You really should inquire and ask them for a price. But compare apples to apples. When you do purchase get a block heater as they should install this for free. You might consider chains for your steep driveway get that thrown in the deal as well. Fill the tires.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #5  
The prices seem a bit on the high side. I would get some other quotes for the same setup and compare/use for negotiations with your local dealer. Don稚 let him know he痴 conveniently located down the road from you. I would look within at least a couple hundred miles.
If you think you値l ever need a backhoe (and don稚 want to rent) then now is the time to buy it (GC1710 or GC1720 model). You can稚 economically add one later. If you do, add the thumb as well. That way you can use he hoe to pick up things like logs and rocks which greatly expands the use beyond digging.
I don稚 know your financial situation but assuming you are financing your property purchase, I would highly recommend to wait with the tractor purchase until after your mortgage closes in case the tractor loan impacts your credit.
For buffalo snow I would pick a snow blower over a blade, especially if you have a slope to clear. It痴 a lot more money though.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705
I would say that price should negotiated down. Just like buying a car you should always try and you will likely get some sort of a break. Don't be afraid to start your a few thousand below what they are asking. Either they will play or they won't. I tell this story often to people. I bought my tundra new in 14. I talked them down to a price I felt was reasonable so I asked them to get me the total with taxes. He wrote down tax amount and another line item for 299. I quickly asked what that was for and the salesmen said oh thats the documentation fee. I stood up from his desk and started walking to the door. He says are you serious for a few hundred dollars your gonna walk. I said Yes I will. Needless to say I didn't pay the doc fee. I understand some don't like dealing with dealers in this manner. Its not for everyone and I know people who don't talk the prices down. You might even start your negotiations and they may not budge at all. If they don't then they don't. If you have a dealer not much further from you. You really should inquire and ask them for a price. But compare apples to apples. When you do purchase get a block heater as they should install this for free. You might consider chains for your steep driveway get that thrown in the deal as well. Fill the tires.

When you say fill the tires, what is that? I gotta imagaine you mean fill with something other than air. Sorry, again, very new to all of this.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #7  
When you say fill the tires, what is that? I gotta imagaine you mean fill with something other than air. Sorry, again, very new to all of this.

You’ll here the term beet juice. I went to my local tire/tractor place and filled my rears, believe I got 70lbs in each one. $16 per tire. The more weight you add to the GC the better, but I don’t mow (in fact I have a 150lb Oliver tractor weight where the mowing deck goes. If you are going to be mowing and blowing I suggest a 3 point weight box in the winter if you get a front mount blower.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #8  
Private message sent.

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #9  
Last year I was in a similar position to you. How many trees do you have in the area that needs to be mowed? How much incline does the mowed area have? If this is an existing house, what equipment is the current owner using to maintain it?

/ New to the tractor world. Advice for the GC1705 #10  
Welcome to TBN! I too joined here as a newbie. New mountain property, steep like yours, not nearly as much snow though thank God. :) Exciting isn't it? Did you move from the city?

Not sure I would buy the first tractor you try. A little shopping around is good; even if you end up with this same tractor, you'll feel more confident in your choice. And the dealer may be a lot more willing to bargain if you give him some time.

Good luck!